The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What do you guys think is a fair price to pay

a traveling home Machanic to come to my place and install a new Master Brake Cylinder after taking out the old one and bleed all the lines on my 39 Chevy , the wheel cylinders and brake shoes are like new ,,I will buy all parts and fluid ,,and help with the bleeding of the lines and be the gopher to fetch what ever he needs .. I have blocks to raise the car up 18 inches off the floor in my heated garage . He can use my creeper if he isn't any fatter than me ..Heated garage also
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: What do you guys think is a fair price to pay

Well a mobile mechanic in California will fetch about 100.00 and hour plus
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:10 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Well a mobile mechanic in California will fetch about 100.00 and hour plus
thx,sounds about right.. I am going to buy a repair kit and fix my own master cylinder ,,just need a machanic to take old one out and use the kit to repair it and install it and bleed the system .

Last edited by GOPAPA; 01-31-2023 at 01:16 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:20 PM   #4
prairewolf

my 0.2 cents thought says if it is installed Right, and all works, it is worth more than if mechanic muffs the job and takes the money and runs. good luck with it all.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:29 PM   #5
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairewolf View Post
my 0.2 cents thought says if it is installed Right, and all works, it is worth more than if mechanic muffs the job and takes the money and runs. good luck with it all.
The Master Cylinder leaks .. a new one cost $ 195 new ,, Chevy of the 40ies only have new,,no rebuilds ,,, I called 2 auto parts stores and the dont have that year of Master Cylinders ,, what I will do is buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the one I have ,, (hope it rebuildable ) as for the Machanic ,,you have a point and finding one that understands these old car with brake shoes .no power might be hard..

I expect to pay around a $100 @ hour .. worth it if they do a good job .
Old 01-31-2023, 02:27 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

Don't pay a shade tree mechanic by the hour , You pay them for the job , When it's done and working then you pay the agreed upon price and not a second before it's done to your satisfaction . A hundred an hour is crazy

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:21 PM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Don't pay a shade tree mechanic by the hour , You pay them for the job , When it's done and working then you pay the agreed upon price and not a second before it's done to your satisfaction . A hundred an hour is crazy
I think you are right .. good advice ..
Old 01-31-2023, 10:08 PM   #8
LS short box

So I will be the Debby Downer.
I would never have a "shade tree" mechanic touch something as important as my brakes.
If I couldn't fix it I would trailer the car to a shop you trust for the repairs. They typically have some type of warranty and insurance in case something goes south.
Side note it's not easy to find a good shop charging less than $100 per hour.
Just my .02.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #9
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
So I will be the Debby Downer.
I would never have a "shade tree" mechanic touch something as important as my brakes.
If I couldn't fix it I would trailer the car to a shop you trust for the repairs. They typically have some type of warranty and insurance in case something goes south.
Side note it's not easy to find a good shop charging less than $100 per hour.
Just my .02.
Exactly. Tow it to a reputable shop. Unless you are familiar with the mobile guy go to a shop. Call AAA if you've got it and you could probably get it towed for free. That's what I do. The place I send my cars is a AAA towing company too so they just pick them up.

Remember it's AAA not AA. If you call AA you'll get something totally different.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

if you know a good mechanic that comes to the vehicle I'd say that's a good choice. Is your car hard to load onto a rollback?
Where did this shade tree mechanic come from? There are valid mobile mechanics. A mechanic operating out of a shop is not a guarantee of quality work. Around here $100 an hour is pretty typical shop time charge, or near it. Brakes are a major safety item that absolutely needs to perform correctly, which is actually very simple to do. I've been doing my own brake work since before I had a drivers license. Labor charges vary by hour and by job. A mobile guy will want to cover his travel time. Like the work on houses I do. I have a minimum charge that equals half a day labor. I can't do three of four 2hr jobs in a day to to set-up and travel time. I'd expect to pay at least half a day's labor

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
if you know a good mechanic that comes to the vehicle I'd say that's a good choice. Is your car hard to load onto a rollback?
Where did this shade tree mechanic come from? There are valid mobile mechanics. A mechanic operating out of a shop is not a guarantee of quality work. Around here $100 an hour is pretty typical shop time charge, or near it. Brakes are a major safety item that absolutely needs to perform correctly, which is actually very simple to do. I've been doing my own brake work since before I had a drivers license. Labor charges vary by hour and by job. A mobile guy will want to cover his travel time. Like the work on houses I do. I have a minimum charge that equals half a day labor. I can't do three of four 2hr jobs in a day to to set-up and travel time. I'd expect to pay at least half a day's labor
I have used people who are not in the in the auto shops back in Oregon and done just great with their work and charges as for $ or trade.. Not familiar with any around here except for one and he has others things going on right now,,,,,,, I can do quite a bit my self ,,but on my 39 the master cylinder is in a tight place next to the fender well .under the floor board and my eyes are not as good now and so wanted a machanic to do the hard parts and me help ..Yes , I could get it hauled to a shop for $100 .. then ,,they buy the parts and charge twice as much plus shop time is $95 @ hour ,,which I understand them charging for the shop ,.. This is not a big job ,,if I need to rebuild the master cylinder ,, I can do that ,, I just want help as these old bones of mine are not up to the crawling under the car and back out again many times
Old 02-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #12
LS short box

Maybe I shouldn't of said shade tree mechanic.
Like anyone that comes to your house to do work for me I insist on seeing a copy of a current paid in full insurance document.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:04 AM   #13
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Could you get someone from a local dealership or garage to come do it. I've had to a few times, worked out good. Sounds like a decent " side job" which there are guys that do those. Labor you get what you pay for so a mechanic from a reputable garage would be worth the price.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:29 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Larry, I understand why you want someone to do this for you. I'm also running into problems with doing certain repairs in certain locations of the vehicle. Some things I do end up with me hurting, even before I'm done. Having a lift would help with some things, but not up and under the dash and I'm sure some other things.

My '72 is sitting because of a starter bolt broken off recessed in the block. I knew it was a tough spot for me to work on, but I gave it a shot. It was enough for me to realize how hard it will be to drill on center into a hole I can't see because the drill blocks my view. I also have a lot of work on my house I'm putting in front of this. I either want my younger mechanic wizard friend to come do this one or I'm yanking the engine and rolling it upside down on a stand. I'm pretty sure that's my plan, and then do some new bottom end sealing. I built the engine in '91. It's been getting leaky down there. Years ago I would have already fixed it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-02-2023, 08:34 AM   #15
Warrens69GMC

So, he is going to wait around for you to rebuild it?

If you haven't rebuilt one yet, you would be better off with a new one and just have it switched out. I can't believe you would rebuild the master and not loosen the 3 or 4 nuts required to take it off / reinstall it.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #16
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
So, he is going to wait around for you to rebuild it?

If you haven't rebuilt one yet, you would be better off with a new one and just have it switched out. I can't believe you would rebuild the master and not loosen the 3 or 4 nuts required to take it off / reinstall it.
I had this coming I guess,, what I meant was the guy would take the brake cylinder out and the guy I hire would either repair it with a kit thats if its not pitted bad if so then I would buy a new one ,, YES, ,it would have to be a come back more than once to complete the job I suppose ,,I did rebuild all the wheel brake cylinders ..Maybe I am getting to old and broken down to own a old car or truck beings I have problems now with getting under them and back out again so many times in a row.. And ,,maybe I will get Pi$$ed from your tougne lashing and just do it mysef and have the wife pump the brakes ,,,,,,,,,,,and then come back and thank ya for getting after me
Old 02-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

In my opinion the best way to handle this is have a new master cyl on hand, and a rebuilt kit if you want, so no matter what turns out, he can complete the job in one trip. I'd think he would prefer that and I'm sure it will save you money. If he rebuilds your master cyl you can return the new one. Personally, I don't mess with rebuilding brake cylinders, always replace.

Tim

Old 02-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #18
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In my opinion the best way to handle this is have a new master cyl on hand, and a rebuilt kit if you want, so no matter what turns out, he can complete the job in one trip. I'd think he would prefer that and I'm sure it will save you money. If he rebuilds your master cyl you can return the new one. Personally, I don't mess with rebuilding brake cylinders, always replace.
Yeah ,, you are probably right , and I know its a brake part which does save your life maybe .. but I have done rebuilds before and did ok .. and it cost around $160 for a new one compaired to $16 to rebuild ..seems that none take a core to reduce the price either.. I had a 52 chevy way back then and the master went out and my friend was driving and we went down over the bank and hit a stump.. I rebuit that one when I was around 18 and did it worked like new ..
Old 02-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #19
LS short box

I'm no spring chicken anymore. I am really considering a Quick Jack to get my hot rods in the air.
I have a LS6 swapped 98 Wrangler and it's a really nice because it sit's high enough I can creeper right underneath without putting it on jack stands.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:49 PM   #20
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
.... And ,,maybe I will get Pi$$ed from your tongue lashing and just do it myself and have the wife pump the brakes ,,,,,,,,,,,and then come back and thank ya for getting after me
No lashing, just legitimate questions.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:04 PM   #21
1976gmc20

There's a guy around here, the son of one of our neighbors, who used to work as a mechanic for a big construction company and he now has his own mobile business.

He has a ~92 Chevy one ton service truck with everything on it: crane, welder, air compressor, and of course the utility bed is full of tools. I had him change the pittman arm and idler arm on my 1989 K1500. I did other stuff myself like replace an upper ball joint and the two CV axles but didn't want to tackle this one because you have to take the steering box loose and tip it to get the pittman arm off. He made short work of it all with air tools and a young body.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote