The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Montierth

CPP Brand New 100% redesign tilt steering column

Hi all. Anyone using one of the new cpp columns that come in the plastic case? The price looks good and looks like they redesigned the column. I am not interested in hearing experiences about the old column and the study that is several years old (obviously it was not a good column). Their marketing vids claim they are as good or better than other columns out there. Big claim when ididit is the go to column. Thanks
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 1970 GMC C2500 Dually Flat Bed
- 2003 Silverado
Montierth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: CPP Brand New 100% redesign tilt steering column

I used Ididit on a few of my hot projects and they all worked great. Zero issues. A bit more money than other but I believe well worth it. As far as I know Ididit columns made in the US. I thinking CPP's aren't.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
Montierth

Yes no question ididit are a good product and yes us vs foreign made products. Wanting to know if anyone has tried the new CPP. It looks like may be a good product but funny that it comes in a really nice case that once column is installed is worthless
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-23-2023, 03:45 PM   #4
Montierth

Anyone? Thanks
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-23-2023, 03:49 PM   #5
pjmoreland

Take a look at this thread:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841394
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #6
Montierth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Helps
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I have never bought anything from CPP. I have trust issues with them after all the negative I have read on various things over the years. The fact that they put out a column they ended up nixing and came out with a whole new design backs up my distrust. So they say the new one is as good as or better than the others? Why wouldn't they say that? I would expect them to say that. My guess is those come in a fancy plastic case because that's the best place for them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:24 AM   #8
layinrocker65

The only thing worse than CPP quality is there customer service. I dont have experience with this column but lots of experience with other products of theirs and lack of customer service. Any money spent on an quality USA made part is worth it over CPP.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Why would they need to redesign a column that was already designed over 50 years ago? Just make them like that. They were built to last

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-25-2023, 07:21 PM   #10
Montierth

I do have some CPP stuff on my truck (4 wheel disc brakes, drop coils and spindles and tubular A-arms) and generally have been happy with it. For me (precovid) they always responded to calls and emails. But after reading other posts about his column I am going to pass on this. The nice palstic case just seems funny to me. Good to see it would protect the column but reminds me of Harbor Freight-ish. Trying to save a few bucks vs spending more and having a tried and tested IDIDIT is the way to go in my case. Thanks for the responses.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I prefer Flaming River columns. No mention of those here.

Tim

Old 01-26-2023, 08:35 AM   #12
tim_mc

I suggest a rebuilt GM column. I tried an older CPP column and wasn't happy with it. Fortunately, Les (70shortfleet) is nearby, so I picked up a rebuilt GM tilt from him.

As for CPP, I don't order direct from them - I ordered my drop spindles and front sway bar through Summit Racing for much better customer support and easier returns, such as when I received a bent CPP power steering pulley and could not use a CPP p/s bracket for my short water pump setup.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #13
C101972

If you’re looking to purchase a tilt column check out Don D. He has completely rebuilt columns, I purchased one from him, unfortunately haven’t installed it yet but we are getting there in time.
But he is very knowledgeable about the columns,reasonable prices, fast and excellent packaging of shipping. He has a very good track record of his products.
So give him a shout he is a great guy!
Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:46 PM   #14
Casper42
Account Suspended

First, CPP has been supplying these tilts for well over 10 years. Second, MANY well known 3rd party suppliers sell these, some specifically giving credit to CPP, others perhaps going directly thru the importer, or having them imported themselves. There must be literally thousands of these columns sold, installed and used over all these years. If there was a concern, this would have come to an end years ago. Yes, my list goes on. You'll read a wide range of mixed opinions about the quality. VERY LITTLE (if any) will give you first hand, factual evidence to support they are unsafe, or even inferior. The main thing about the allegation of inferiority, is that if there were a product concern we'd see an end to the sale of these. CPP is from California and that state has robust Consumer Protection Laws under the State Attorney General. If there was a safety issue, I am certain CPP would be out of business, or would discontinue the product AND all these other suppliers would not be selling these. Unfortunately, we have a lot of bias people in this nation, particularly when it come to China.
Casper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:39 AM   #15
Willie Makeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper42 View Post
First, CPP has been supplying these tilts for well over 10 years. Second, MANY well known 3rd party suppliers sell these, some specifically giving credit to CPP, others perhaps going directly thru the importer, or having them imported themselves. There must be literally thousands of these columns sold, installed and used over all these years. If there was a concern, this would have come to an end years ago. Yes, my list goes on. You'll read a wide range of mixed opinions about the quality. VERY LITTLE (if any) will give you first hand, factual evidence to support they are unsafe, or even inferior. The main thing about the allegation of inferiority, is that if there were a product concern we'd see an end to the sale of these. CPP is from California and that state has robust Consumer Protection Laws under the State Attorney General. If there was a safety issue, I am certain CPP would be out of business, or would discontinue the product AND all these other suppliers would not be selling these. Unfortunately, we have a lot of bias people in this nation, particularly when it come to China.
Take it however you wish, but I have first hand experience with CPP columns.

They are junk and they are dangerous.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:29 AM   #16
chevmn

I was considering purchasing a CPP column, and doing some searching and researching, I quickly noticed a large number of those who had them seemed very unhappy with them, and many had either went with a rebuilt GM unit, or one of the competitors columns. I found a van column in a salvage yard, and had one of the board members rebuild it due to the fact I have yet to find anyone unhappy with the GM columns. I do have it installed, but truck is not finished so I can drive it so the jury is still out, but from what I see I made the right choice, and I simply could not take a chance based on comments I have seen from so many unhappy customers. I likely had $150 more invested than the CPP column (sold on ebay) by the time I purchased the column, paid shipping two ways, parts, labor to shorten the column and powder coat, but I guess much better off than if I purchased a column then was disappointed and in my case by the time I installed and figured out it was unsuitable it might be a year later since I purchased a lot of parts well in advance and my project got stalled.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #17
Montierth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper42 View Post
Generally speaking I have not had any troubles with CPP stuff. I think it is a great value on some items for someone like me that does all the work on my truck. Like I posted, I have their 4 wheel disc brake upgrade with brake booster, drop spindles, drop coils, and tube A-Arms, and front sway bar with no issues and very happy with all of it. That is why I was interested in their columns. Do you have any experience with their latest columns?
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #18
Accelo

My post is going sideways on the original tilt column subject.

I read the link that had the crooked index on the steering column. Obviously a quality control issue.
I for one am tired of low quality products. How difficult can it be to get this right?
Add in the stuff like the thin tail light gaskets, don't remember the product source on this issue.
Finding the parts that fit and function is a big deal. I also rely on other board members input to assist getting a correct part the first time.
I have a pile of junk parts, under the bench, like everyone that restores these trucks.

Here is my take on CPP.
I installed CPP's rear sway bar on my trailing arm truck.
It was an absolute disaster from my point of view.
It caused my truck to sway when ever enough power was applied to spin the wheels.
It was so violent counter steering was ineffective. One had to get off the throttle or you would either roll the truck or ditch it.
After removing it the truck straightened out perfectly.
I found others that complained of the same issue.

I wrote and told them my experience.
I received an email saying they might return my money.
I wanted it pulled from market. They get a zero for safety.
If they will not investigate safety issues you can guess what product quality issues are like. No Six Sigma implemented there.
I give CPP a vote of no confidence.

High Performance Rear Sway Bar Kit. 1960-72 w/Coil Spring, 1-1/8", kit
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 01-27-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #19
Montierth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I installed CPP's rear sway bar on my truck.
It was an absolute disaster from my point of view.
It caused my truck to sway under enough power to spin the wheels.
It was so bad counter steering was ineffective. You had to get off the throttle or you would either roll the truck or ditch it. After removing it the truck straightened out perfectly.
I wrote and told them my experience.
I received an email saying they might return my money.
I wanted it pulled from market. They get a zero for safety.
I found others that complained of the same issue.
If they will not investigate safety issues you can guess what product quality issues are like. No Six Sigma implemented there.
I give CPP a vote of no confidence.

High Performance Rear Sway Bar Kit. 1960-72 w/Coil Spring, 1-1/8", kit
Oh dang! Sorry to hear that. I don't have a rear sway bar.
- 1967 Chevy C10
- 2003 Silverado
Old 01-27-2023, 12:54 PM   #20
6600DURAMAX

I have one of these columns ( newer style in the plastic case )waiting to be installed, can I get specifics on what the issues are before I install. I went with it because its a tilt where my existing one is non tilt.

Pic just because
Attached Images

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:51 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I am biased toward Flaming River because they too have been making columns as long as or longer than Ididit or CPP. We have a reputable vendor here who has lots at a time of these prepared by Flaming River to bolt directly into these trucks, he has given special purchase discounts, and he gives good customer service. I have no first hand experience with CPP because I have been reading complaints here from my trusted friends on this site for as long as I've been here (Nov '04). I don't repeat BS. I have no reason to disbelieve the dozens of complaints. If there is no value in what we see here reported by fellow members then why are we here? This site is the best and most informative resource you will find on these trucks. To say a component has issues or a business has poor customer service does not mean that everyone will have complaints. I'm not telling anyone not to buy CPP. I am telling what I have learned so a person can better make their own decision.

Tim

Old 01-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #22
Southcity

As an additional option, reach out to user 70shortfleet. He makes outstanding columns (tilt, auto, manual, shortened etc). I recently installed a tilt column he made for me in my 66 K10 Suburban. He's extremely skilled, knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business with.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #23
Casper42
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montierth View Post
.... Do you have any experience with their latest columns?
I do not have experience with the CPP column, yet. I've casually been looking what I want, thus I have done research, such as forums like this. I'm pretty sure I'll go with CPP. I know how to read thru posters BS and biases pretty well. I think most owners of these trucks are VERY pro-American, which isn't bad. I like to purchase local myself when I can, but I've seen plenty American built garbage as well. One main factor I see about badmouthers, is most of the badmouth centered around CPP is many years old, and people still refer to that, such a some quack in New Zealand about Chinese built columns.

I suggest you keep doing your research and do your best to weed out subjective biased opinions. It can be tough. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2023, 05:04 PM   #24
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If you want to avoid issues with CPP go through a vendor, not them directly. I have a lot of CPP stuff with zero issues. I feel like the majority of the issues Ive read about over the years is their customer service. I have a flaming river column, got it from the same board vendor I get my CPP stuff from.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:31 PM   #25
Casper42
Account Suspended

personally, I would not bother listening to all the folks about their opinions. The reason, you already purchased it and it's highly likely you won't experience what they have to say. These columns have been in use for at least 10 years, conservatively. That carries a lot of weight. If you hadn't already purchased it, I'd say sure, read all you can and form your own opinion based on the objective, and plethora of subjective info. I hope yours goes well, and please update us on your experience. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
I have one of these columns ( newer style in the plastic case )waiting to be installed, can I get specifics on what the issues are before I install. I went with it because its a tilt where my existing one is non tilt.

Pic just because