The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
KFreddy

12 to 1 Quick ratio Steering Box...

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the stock power steering box with a 12 to 1 or 12.7 to 1 quick ratio power steering box. My truck is a 1972 C10 with a 454 engine. I am thinking that a Saginaw 800 would do the trick. Does the stock steering set up use a flare hose or a metric fitting? Also a 36(13/16) spline or 30 (3/4) spline?

Has anyone done this set up? Is there a known FAQ out there?

Thank you,

-Fred
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

I'm not sure what you mean by the ratio. I have an ECE quick ratio box that took out a full turn lock to lock. It comes out to just under 3.5 turns lock to lock. I have also heard that a factory box for a 79 is the same. I can't verify this information, you may have to do some checking.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Please don't double post............read the rules.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
KFreddy

My apologies sir, I didn't know where to best place the question. A PM might have been suitable, oh well...
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
LONGHAIR

A PM doesn't help the next guy..........
Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
69 longhorn

Not my issue, but as a thought.....we are all here for trucks.....let us all have big fun.....crazyL
Old 08-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
A PM doesn't help the next guy..........
Being rude doesn't either. Cut him some slack, he is new here. Not everyone knows as much as you ... I know I sure don't

KFreddy ... please don't judge the majority of us by the rude replies of the minority.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

to answer the question. the quick raito is a specialty item in early GM trucks. It needs to be built and you can get it from classic performance. 72 would be a standard american thread. 77 up is metric. If you go with a stock ratio you can save a bunch of money buy getting it at your local parts house. quick ratio is about 300 and a stock cardone rebuild is about 150
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
LONGHAIR

So it's rude to explain the rules? or refer someone to them?

Personally I think the rudeness comes from "just jumping in where-ever". The rules are there for a reason. There was no bad intent...just statement of fact, now if some other newbie sees this thread maybe he gets it w/o reading the rules.......'cause so few of them seem to. Heck we have oldsters doing it too. The mods spend quite a bit of time straightening this stuff out.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

You didn't explain anything ... you only posted "Don't double post ... read the rules."

If you are gonna give advice on "reading the rules," then you should at least give him a link directing him to the rules.

Speaking of rules .... here is one you might find helpful.

Quote:
XIII. If you are a long time member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate message board usage.

Last edited by Shane; 08-14-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
LONGHAIR

It wasn't an attack.........simple statement of fact. I'm sure that I have done it a dozen times, so why is this one special?
You've insisted in having the last word for some reason that I obviously don't get? You could have/shoud have just ignored it......
Old 08-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

Thanks for the PM, KFreddy.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 PM   #13
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
to answer the question. the quick raito is a specialty item in early GM trucks. It needs to be built and you can get it from classic performance. 72 would be a standard american thread. 77 up is metric. If you go with a stock ratio you can save a bunch of money buy getting it at your local parts house. quick ratio is about 300 and a stock cardone rebuild is about 150
i just disassembled my 77, all standard, not metric. the truck had already been restored once but some places where the nuts are welded in had standard threads so the whole truck is standard. my dad said metric started in 88 with that new body style. our 95 is metric. just my .02

also everybody is new at one time, and we have to help them stay like others helped you stay here by being a nice happy family. most people don't read the rules, longhair was a little rude, but hey, he's got a point. someone else is going to come along and break a rule so he must explain it in the post.

good intentions, so it’s all good if somebody learns something. how many people know there's an edit button? people double post by posting once, then right underneath themselves.

some things we should and shouldn't bother with i guess. of course it's ideal to speak up, and correct them, and longhair did so congrats, he won't do it again i bet.

Last edited by matthufham; 08-15-2005 at 11:14 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 AM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

My mistake 77 was the frist year for the 3/4 shaft, 80 was the first year for metric ports. I don't know when the first metric thread was used.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote