The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
tiddlar

what you guys think about banks twin turbo system?

Been really researching this, thinking I'm going to go this route. I have a 1953 chevy truck. I'm waiting on a buddy to have time and space for me for a chassis job. I'm going with 29x18x20 tires in the rear, tube chassis. what I'm going for is a healthy street able engine, high horse power high torque. mostly a grocery getter and when a rice burner pulls next to me...... well you know... i was thinking a dart block, stroke it, afr heads etc. I'm no mechanic what so ever so don't know numbers. another buddy of mine will be building it he's extremely knowledgeable but also very busy.... I've seen this kit go for 5000. anyways what you guys think? Or should i just big block it?
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: what you guys think about banks twin turbo system?

As with any high power build the price goes up fast. Anything from Banks will be first class. Don't be shocked if the entire engine build goes past 20K to get it running. Then you have to deal with trans and rear end, and a custom cooling system. Not sure what your budget is and why you need a 1000 hp to bust a rice burner. An LS3 from GM would bustem wide open and do a much better job of getting the snacks from the store.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
As with any high power build the price goes up fast. Anything from Banks will be first class. Don't be shocked if the entire engine build goes past 20K to get it running. Then you have to deal with trans and rear end, and a custom cooling system. Not sure what your budget is and why you need a 1000 hp to bust a rice burner. An LS3 from GM would bustem wide open and do a much better job of getting the snacks from the store.
Jimmy
I don't need 1000hp, but if you got it why not? Yea this will be a long build since I have to save the $$$. I'm just window shopping and just want a really nice set up. I also want something "different" if you will.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
PGSigns

Look at the available room in your truck also when making plans. That body style is cramped compared to later years. An LS with one of these would be cool also. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...niversal.shtml
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
tiddlar

Quote:
Look at the available room in your truck also when making plans. That body style is cramped compared to later years. An LS with one of these would be cool also. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...niversal.shtml
Jimmy
Hmmmm that would be cool... And I have been thinking of that there is plenty of hood clearance but from side to side is a bit cramped. I would have to worry about an inter cooler with twin turbos and where to mount ... Exhaust from the turbos... It's doable no? Dart block... Internals... Intercooler efi.. Afr heads..Turbo kit... Am I missing anymore? I also heard that turbos would e better than a supercharger but once again this will be a grocery getter . I'm not in competition. Thanks for your replies. I'm grateful for this site. Plenty of knowledge for people like me that want to Learn.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

on a budget it is going to be TOUGH. Every turn and twist in this road is another $1000 in parts,,, if not more. If your paying someone to build it,, plan on doubling that.

Take a drive over to 600 West Lester (in the Grant / Miracle Mile area) and talk with Larry Peto at Larrys engine and Marine Larry does all my machine work for good reason (you will see when you walk through the door) His forte if off shore racing,, and if he can build a twin 1500HP big blocks that stay together while coming in and out of the water at 7000, he can do just fine keeping our junk together (and does)
Actually,, ya know what.... Unless your a drug dealer or just simply independently wealthy that probably is a bad idea... he always has some insane motor he's working on that that is an orgasm for your eyes and the faster faster faster addiction.

Stroll through Larrys site and you'll get a feel for what it takes $ wise to build a serious animal like your speaking of.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 09-29-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
on a budget it is going to be TOUGH. Every turn and twist in this road is another $1000 in parts,,, if not more. If your paying someone to build it,, plan on doubling that.

Take a drive over to 600 West Lester (in the Grant / Miracle Mile area) and talk with Larry Peto at Larrys engine and Marine Larry does all my machine work for good reason (you will see when you walk through the door) His forte if off shore racing,, and if he can build a twin 1500HP big blocks that stay together while coming in and out of the water at 7000, he can do just fine keeping our junk together (and does)
Actually,, ya know what.... Unless your a drug dealer or just simply independently wealthy that probably is a bad idea... he always has some insane motor he's working on that that is an orgasm for your eyes and the faster faster faster addiction.

Stroll through Larrys site and you'll get a feel for what it takes $ wise to build a serious animal like your speaking of.
You're scaring me ......... Sounds like what I want will be around 20000+?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

From reading your first post...I'm not entirely sure what you want.

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you start talking tube chassis builds it envokes a certain "level" of build. Considering the costs of a tube chassis, the required custom suspension components, brakes etc...its not all too uncommon to throw around $15k+ without really batting an eye.

A tube chassis car also doesn't really fit the description of a grocery getter either. Instead I would picture something with a full cage, narrowed rear end (you said WIDE rear tires), fiberglass body panels... you see where I'm going with this right?

Now, that chassis discussion aside; is what you want a grocery getter/weekend cruiser "fun car" that can rip? Thats not a hard formula, and in reality, any of the engine combo's you described would get the result you want.

You can build a 350"-400+" sbc with a GM block, decent rotating assembly, some Trickflow heads, a cam package etc for sub $7k and get yourself anywhere from 400-550, and any of your mechanically experienced friends could put it together pretty easily. (downside being the bad mpg, HUGE variety of possible builds, and generic-ness of this route)

You can start with a junkyard block and have it built mildly to take some boost, get a more budget friendly turbo kit (banks is expensive because your paying for his R&D, but there are superior kits that exist and much much better kits to bed made). This combo will also be in the $7k-8k range, BUT can go drastically higher depending on the combination of parts. This may be a bit less "reliable" since its using more complex systems of parts and tuning..physically MORE parts and places to break. You can again be in the 450-550hp range, but with the correct parts, the potential to start to go 600+ is there a bit easier. The advantage is an improvement in mileage and streetability for the power level. Downside is that FI carbed cars arent' the easiest thing to tune or to drive.

You also have the LS motor option, which is my love and a rapidly growing market. Junkyard swaps can be 3-4k (carbed or FI), and make a reliable 350-450 with cam and tune. You have the better mileage of efi and overdrive trans benefits should u choose to take them. The other nice thing is that you start with a driveable, fun swap with good power for under $5k, but adding a turbo to one is actually simpler IMO than doing so on the carb'd cars...and you can always come back and add the turbo down the line as budget or time allows.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Super73

Glad I don't keep receipts All kidding aside, I am sure I have over $30-35k tied up in my truck over the years. I have twin PT67's sitting waiting to be put on, but I don't feel comfortable running them with my current compression. I am not going to put a different piston/rings ($800) in a stock 4 bolt block as I will never get to really turn them up. Means a new block ($3500) plus head studs ($500) plus gaskets ($250) plus bearings ($300).

See how quickly that added up that is using my current crank, rods, main bolts.

It is a very slippery slope one has to be ok with, let alone their family...
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Glad I don't keep receipts All kidding aside, I am sure I have over $30-35k tied up in my truck over the years. I have twin PT67's sitting waiting to be put on, but I don't feel comfortable running them with my current compression. I am not going to put a different piston/rings ($800) in a stock 4 bolt block as I will never get to really turn them up. Means a new block ($3500) plus head studs ($500) plus gaskets ($250) plus bearings ($300).

See how quickly that added up that is using my current crank, rods, main bolts.

It is a very slippery slope one has to be ok with, let alone their family...
You guys definitely make all valid points. I'm definitely a regular joe, in terms to income. I'm just extremely good at saving for what I want. I guess when you pop the hood and see twin turbos you get a huge grin on your face . I'm just window shopping like I said, I wouldn't be for an engine at this point but my chassis guy will need something to mount on new chassis to make sure everything fits. Was thinking of buying a p ayr block for mock up until I can get the funds for the engine. The decision has to be made as to sbc. Or bbc. Etc
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Super73

Do you have an et goal? A mpg goal? A cool factor goal? All yhe above goal?
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Do you have an et goal? A mpg goal? A cool factor goal? All yhe above goal?
Mostly the cool factor goal, and I don't need all that power of course but if you got it flaunt it ...
Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
PGSigns

I built drag cars fro a while from the ground up and the first thing that was done on a build was the plan. It covered everything from wheel and tire sizes to engine and trans. The type of fuel system the seat and even what class it would run in. This made sure that it all worked together when you start bending pipe and buying parts. A change of mind mid stream can get very expensive. So start a list up that looks like this and make it as complete as you can before starting on this adventure.
1953 truck
400 HP to the wheels
LS engine
6 speed manual
4 wheel disc brakes
power steering
power brakes
AC
tilt wheel
20" rear wheels with at least a 305 tire
18" front wheels
shaved bumpers and door handles
full air ride
power windows
The more complete the vision for the finished project the better it will be to make good choices on the build. Your chassis guy will know everything he needs to do it right the first time. The engine guy can do the same. The body man has his info and even the guy footing the bill can get good answers on what it will cost. So make a plan and make sure if you are having stuff done that everyone knows the plan. It will keep this project from becoming another one in the for sale section that went sour.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 10-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
tiddlar

Quote:
I built drag cars fro a while from the ground up and the first thing that was done on a build was the plan. It covered everything from wheel and tire sizes to engine and trans. The type of fuel system the seat and even what class it would run in. This made sure that it all worked together when you start bending pipe and buying parts. A change of mind mid stream can get very expensive. So start a list up that looks like this and make it as complete as you can before starting on this adventure.
1953 truck
400 HP to the wheels
LS engine
6 speed manual
4 wheel disc brakes
power steering
power brakes
AC
tilt wheel
20" rear wheels with at least a 305 tire
18" front wheels
shaved bumpers and door handles
full air ride
power windows
The more complete the vision for the finished project the better it will be to make good choices on the build. Your chassis guy will know everything he needs to do it right the first time. The engine guy can do the same. The body man has his info and even the guy footing the bill can get good answers on what it will cost. So make a plan and make sure if you are having stuff done that everyone knows the plan. It will keep this project from becoming another one in the for sale section that went sour.
Jimmy
Thanks for your reply I have done a list and I'm pretty sure of where I'm going with this. The scary part was adding up the parts in the end. That's why in doing it in stages. Stage 1 chassis, brakes, wheels tires, air ride system, sheet metal work etc. stage 2 engine tranny mechanicals. Stage three paint interior.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

the Banks kit is pretty complete and proven. But, for the $5.5K for the kit, plan to set aside ~$2K for various other parts and components. I coordinated a few of the installs of the kit for TV and high profile customer vehicles when I worked at GBE, and no complex system is ever just a bolt on and go proposition. Keep in mind, there is no charge air cooler, so you'll have to be conscious of tune/timing.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

For a street strip car. Would air to air be a good way to go?
Thinking about a LS 6.0+ and 78ish mm wheel in my pickup
Old 10-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

A charge air cooler is always a good idea. An air-to-air system would be easier to package and be less hassle for the street.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
tiddlar

i was thinking about that, i was thinking that for when i send it out to get a chassis job that i would have to purchase an intercooler and have the chassis guy mount it.......?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #19
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

It'll help your chassis guy know how to do the core support/body supports on the front bumper area.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
tiddlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
It'll help your chassis guy know how to do the core support/body supports on the front bumper area.
ah ok good because budget doesnt allow for chassis and engine together... if anyone has anymore helpful tips for me that would be great? intercooler for mounting, anything else i would need to make my engine guys job a little easier?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #21
BigDan3131

I tend to think outside the box, so I would build a 216 with forged pistons and use the headers and such but put that massive s475 turbo on it and just see what you can get out of it. Like any engine its the selection of parts that contribute to the overall picture, so with the right cam and that large by huge turbo anything is possible. What got me thinking about this was that "new" Ecotec motor they were squeezing a 1000 HP out of with massive boost.

1965 GMC 3/4 Ton LB SOLD?
1964 Chevy El Camino in full restoration
1991 Chevy S10 288K+ miles 2nd Owner SOLD

2020 RAM 1500 Warlock
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #22
IIGW

yep, junkyard 5.3, 15psi boost on stock parts/cam/intake and youre making 600+ hp
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGW View Post
yep, junkyard 5.3, 15psi boost on stock parts/cam/intake and youre making 600+ hp
For a little while at least. lol.

After a bit you get sick of swapping out shortblocks and but a well built bottom end in it.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote