The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
inkfamous13

5 lug swap on 66c20 with 283, 5spd (nv-540 -og) trans whats a 3.07 geared 72 rear??

New to the forum. Live in lancaster ca. My first ride was a 63 step sidebshort bed my gramps left me at age 13. Drove it for 3 years no license. Then it was stolen. Sucked bad had 235 & 3 on tree. Then had a 65 lb fleetside custom cab. Bagged 292,3 on tree 6 lug sold when i had to pay off bills after surgery. Anyway owened 12 plus classic in my life at age 36. Never owned newer than 68 camaro. This c20 is all new to me. Would never had bought a c20. Buuut.... this is literally rust free, factory a/c deluxe heater,283,sway bar,hazard lights,radio (works great) pass side lock,3 spd wipers with pissers.tinted windshield, custom cab. And im guessing some time in 70s? The orig owner had dealer install a 5spd nv-540 over drive trans. It has shirting instructions on glove box door and bowtie on shifter rubber boot? Only negative is someone installed sunroof? But Anyhoo. I posted it for sale to see if anyone was looking to restore a clean c20 before i go bag and gut this real truck for a cruiser. Im looking at buying a 1972 c10 rear with 3.08 gears how will this truck drive after. Balls wise? Lol it is so low geared now your lucky if you can break 65 on freeway, 1st is useless unless towing 2nd is just to get rolling 3rd is a quick 2nd gear lol my plan is to get rid of the 8 lugs for 6 or 5. Guessing 5 cuz this 72 rear is a bolt in thing and am going with 74 c10 crossmember. Was even thinking of going with 8 lug up grade or 6. Found a 1990 chevy 20 van at pick and pull. Had clean nice looked rebuilt front clips 6 lug disks that looked like 1/2 rotors. But could not for the life of me find out if it would bolt up. I thought so but wasnt going to take chance on guess with removing and dragging home to find out no. Lol ive been in paint and body for over 21 years. I do suspension, brakes,mechanical,electric, body paint, fab, dont ever pay or let another man molest my girls. Ive allways read,asked, watched and can do anything right with my hands. Plus gramp having me under cars as toddler handing tools tightening bolts helped my situation lol greatest man i ever knew. Did it all. My question is how will this rear work for driving,towing? I dont tow only move @tuff in back of bed. But i can swap out gears later for more pull. Just wanna make sure itll be ok for daily driving. As i need to drive it and dont have a garage as of the moment. Am planning on 63 c10 crossmember swap so i can just bolt in keep brakes as is. Then 74 c10 uca lca drop spindle disks next month. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
inkfamous13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 5 lug swap on 66c20 with 283, 5spd (nv-540 -og) trans whats a 3.07 geared 72 rear

It should be OK. Most people prefer something like a 3.42 or 3:73 with an OD, that way you still got the low end for pulling/towing. The 3:08 will work fine though, you'll just lose some of that low end grunt.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote