The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2024, 05:32 PM   #1
jrblanke

Is there a difference between C10 and C20/C30 Control Arms?

Hey guys,
Is there a difference between the C10 control arms and the C20/C30 control arms? How about a difference between the heavy duty front brakes and the regular front brakes?

The reason I ask is because several years ago, I bought some 3" drop spindles to put on my C10 1/2 ton. Like an idiot I didn't heed the warnings about getting the correct ones, and I accidently got the ones for heavy duty front brakes. So I ended up just putting heavy duty calipers, hoses, bearings, rotors etc. I also cut a coil off the springs. When I got it all back together I noticed the camber was way off. The tops of the wheels were leaned way in. At the time I assumed that this was because I cut the springs.

Fast forward like 5+ years, Im getting close to getting it back on the road. But before I jump back into this project, Im just curious whether I should expect to have to replace the A-arms too, or if I should just expect to shim it out.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:48 AM   #2
TotallyHucked

Re: Is there a difference between C10 and C20/C30 Control Arms?

Yep, the C20/30 arms are different from the C10s. The difference in HD and regular brakes on the C10s are 1.25" rotors vs 1.00" with corresponding calipers.
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
TotallyHucked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:46 PM   #3
SCOTI

73-87 C10 arms came w/'car style' rubber bushings to help improve the ride quality.

C10's were offered with light duty 1" brakes starting w/the Metric years (I believe 81 was the start) on the bare bones trucks. The previous 'standard' 1.25" brakes were called the 'HD' option @ that same time.

C20/30's utilize different/bigger brake set-ups, heavier duty BJ's, & have the earlier generations heavier-duty steel threaded bushings.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:52 AM   #4
jrblanke

Thanks guys,
This answers my question. Sounds like even though I swapped over to HD spindles drop spindles (BEL-3100), I shouldn't have a problem correcting the camber issue on my C10. I was afraid that I accidently put 3/4 ton spindles/calipers/etc on and would not be able to fix the alignment. Its been a few years since I worked on my truck, so I'm getting back in the swing of things.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote