The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
Bobalouie
Fetzer Valve Technician

Crossover High Steer Questions

Does crossover high steer eliminate the need for a steering stabilizer? If not, where do you hook it up at the axle end?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

No it doesn't eliminate the benefit of having one. The cross-over steering set-up is vary similar to what F**d di on the 78-79 trucks and they still benefit from a stabilizer.
Most of the companies that make stabilizers sell a "universal" kit that bolts to the axle housing with U-bolts.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

and with hi steer, your tie rod is generally nowhere near the axle tubes, so those universal kits with u bolts will do you no good.

if your axle and steering are in good shape, i dont see any reason to run one period. i know im not running one on mine, and i dont forsee any problems.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I forgot about that.......They move the tie-rod up too not just the drag-link.
You could still fabricate a bracket that would connect to your spring U-bolts or something and still connect to the tie-rod.
The leverage imposed upon the steering by larger diameter tires is pretty great. Adding the stabilizer will improve the feel, especially if you typically drive on rutted or heavily crowned roads. This is also a case where more is better. Adding a second shock can also make a difference you can feel.
GM used them with stock tires.......anything over about 35" can really benefit from 2.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
Joey-D
City's Articulation Ramp

From what I understand, steering stab are a temp fix for a bigger proble, whatever it my be; out of alignment, unbalanced tires, worn ball joints..... I replaced my worn out set up with crossover and added a single heavy duty steering stab at the same time so I can't really vouch for it it made a true difference. All I know is the truck don't wander anymore, even over rough terrian. My opinion is the crossover cured 99% of my problems and the steering stab covered the other 1%. You could just fab up you own bracket, but I would reconment trying it first without the stab and see if you can't save yourself so time and money. You can always come back and put one in later if needed.
19?? Zamboni, Really I own a Zamboni!
"If your gonna be stupid, then you better be tough."
Joey-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Grim Reaper

Cross over fixes bump steer and it fixes steering bind when the suspension is flexed. Stabilizer is a tuning issue on somethign with minimal problem. Death woble is a totally different set of problems. Stabalizer will help but again there is a bigger underlying problem that usualy is a combo of big tires, big lift, bad caster angle worn ball joints or king pins.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote