The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
greywuuf

Opinions on "59 Biscayne and a general Gripe

So.... the 59 Biscayne I posted a while back ... came to me with a '72 350 in it, the numbers say it came out of a truck. it is also pretty much all stock with one minor change.... it has an OLD school electric fuel pump installed ( and of course it is not functional after many years just sitting in a field ) and a block off plate over the fuel pump drive hole. I just spent the last 4 hours trying to obtain a fuel pump and a hard fuel line to put this thing in running order, still can not come up with the fuel line... had to scab together some barbs and rubber line. ( that's the general rant.... never thought it would be hard to get SBC parts in my lifetime )

now the opinion part, I have the manifolds and ecu ( and am set up to burn chips and data log for same) for a TPI set up. I kind of think they are the neatest looking injections going ( ok hilborn set ups not with standing)

SO anyway, would a 59 biscayne look old school hot rod with a Tuned port system? or should I just give up and go LSx ( they are not yet easy to find or cheap here in Alaska ) was kind of thinking of incorporating the "nostrils" of the hood into the intake system for an injection system.... just a thought.

Last edited by greywuuf; 07-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
franken

Re: Opinions on "59 Biscayne and a general Gripe

No mention of the carb so nobody can help with a hard line. Try the tube maker websites for a 72 350 truck with a Q-jet.
TPI in a 59 is obviously not old school. People will still look though.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
greywuuf

Well anything small block is pretty much "old school" these days. Think the last time one was available and it is not really a "current" trend. The thing to do these days seems to be to stick an LSx in everything and have computerized control of the stereo, navigation, throttle, ignition, gear selection,fuel and ride height. Not that it does not have a place...I am just not a fan.
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

In all fairness, I love the TPI. I also think it is one of the coolest looking injection systems ever mass produced. Buuuuuut, it isn't exactly old school. It is 30 years old, but you would almost have to do monochrome and pro street to make it look at home.

The best opinion I can offer is to do what you want to do and make it your own. In the end, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.