The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
BBGMC

Unhappy Suspension Issues Need help

Ok so I have a 1968 GMC 2500 with a Big Block 402 it has the Original Front Suspension on it and I mean Original all the way down to the Shocks which I would say is a great bit overdue for changing, but surprisingly they don't leak nor show signs of ever leaking, besides the point I need to rebuild the suspension I just did an alignment and found out my Idler arm is really worn out along with my Tie Rod ends. I was figuring if I am gonna replace them i might as well rebuild the whole darn thing,now I also want to Drop it 4-5" in the front and maybe 4-6" in the rear without having to notch the frame. I was wondering if there is anyone that knows of a 3/4 ton kit available I want to keep it an actual 3/4 ton I also looked through cpp but there's no lowering kits for the 3/4 ton on there. any ideas??? also I like having a rake id like to offset it a little more than now which is barely noticeable what would be the best measurements for that also?

also I am looking for a complete front end rebuild kit that includes the center link both upper and lower ball joints both inner and outer tie rod ends with new adjusting sleeves a new idler arm and possibly a new pitman arm a arm bushings the whole 9 yards, go big or go home right,

Thanks a Bunch

BBGMC

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-05-2010 at 09:35 AM.
BBGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Suspension Issues Need help

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm doing my 70 C10 right now and have had great luck at my local parts store the parts will vary in price from one store to the other ..mostly with the pitman arm and if your going to do the link probably that too??..all say it will take a couple days to get them in but theres no shipping and from what I have found if something is wrong its an easy drive to town....besides on things like that I like to spend my $$ localy if I can...

as far as your drop be sure to check your rear axle clearance before you order anything...with out a notch you maybe looking to end up with a axle to frame issue 4" will probably be ok but 6" ????

ever consider putting bags in it they ride great are an easy install and weight isnt an issue

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011

Last edited by Hottrucks; 02-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
SCOTI

Without upgrading to discs up front, you're limited to drop springs, stepped a-arms, or dropped a-arms for 'basic' lowering. If upgrading to discs, they make a 3/4 ton drop spindle.

Leaf or coil rear suspension?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-05-2010 at 10:13 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

You may give wes at classic heartbeat a call he is pretty close to you and id bet he could get you all the parts ya need....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Look here at PerformanceOnLine, for c20 drop spindles:

http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...at=1075&page=1

Here's a quote from that page:
1971-87 CHEVY/GMC/C10/C20, 2.5" DROP SPINDLE SET #18992
These hot items lower the front of your vehicle without affecting ride quality or suspension geometry and bolt directly to the original ball joints.

Requires disc brake application.

Please specify year and model.

Use OEM ball joints.

Note: 1973-80 trucks use 1.25" wide rotors. 1981-87 C10 trucks had the option of 1.25" rotor or 1" rotor, please measure.
Details

Weight 55.00 lbs
Price: $ 228.99

Last edited by lolife99; 02-05-2010 at 10:35 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
BBGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Without upgrading to discs up front, you're limited to drop springs, stepped a-arms, or dropped a-arms for 'basic' lowering. If upgrading to discs, they make a 3/4 ton drop spindle.

Leaf or coil rear suspension?
I plan on Converting it over to Disc Brakes all the way around, the fronts first so buying Drop Spindles For Discs is what I have been looking for. I have a Leaf Rear axle its a Dana 60, I just figured if I am going to be in there I might as well give it a nice Rake for now. also I dont plan on dropping the rear anywhere near 6" that's too low for my blood I use my truck as a truck still but I want it to sit lower than it is now, right now the front is 15.5"(measured just in front of the tires) from the ground and the rear is 20.5"( measured just behind the tires) from the ground I figure a 4.5" drop in the front with a 3" drop in the back wil give it a nice rake and look like an old hot rod truck. Any suggestions on how that would look?

BBGMC
Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
my67c20

Just remember that if you upgrade to disks it will require the appropriate year ball joints. Don't ask me how i learned this, but if you need some 67 balljoints i happen to have a new set for a 3/4 ton.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGMC View Post
I plan on Converting it over to Disc Brakes all the way around, the fronts first so buying Drop Spindles For Discs is what I have been looking for. I have a Leaf Rear axle its a Dana 60, I just figured if I am going to be in there I might as well give it a nice Rake for now. also I dont plan on dropping the rear anywhere near 6" that's too low for my blood I use my truck as a truck still but I want it to sit lower than it is now, right now the front is 15.5"(measured just in front of the tires) from the ground and the rear is 20.5"( measured just behind the tires) from the ground I figure a 4.5" drop in the front with a 3" drop in the back wil give it a nice rake and look like an old hot rod truck. Any suggestions on how that would look?

BBGMC
You could remove some of the leaves & swap in an AOL kit to regain the original capacity. Swap the drop spindles in & trim a bit off the stock springs (if you like the current ride).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote