The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Increase broadband speed?

Got this off of another forum. Will it really be of any benefit to me or will it mess something up?

How To Increase Your Broadband Speed In 3 Minutes
Here’s a simple 3 minute tweak (XP Pro only) that will increase your broadband speed.

By default (even with QoS disabled) Windows XP reserves up to 20 percent of your connections bandwidth. To override this reserve take the following steps.

Make sure you Log on as Administrator, not as a user with Administrator privileges.

* Start-> Run-> type gpedit.msc
* You will see [Local Computer Policy]
* Expand the [Administrative Templates] branch
* Expand the [Network] branch
* Highlight [QoS Packet Scheduler]
* Double-click [Limit Reservable Bandwidth]
* Check [Enabled]
* Change [Bandwidth limit %] to 0 %
* Click [Apply] [OK]

* Restart

Effect is immediate.

-enjoy!
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Increase broadband speed?

When someone shows me side-by-side legitimate comparisons from an unbiased source, I will believe it. The same people who type up crap like that are the morons that swear by shutting off every single service on the computer they don't see as being necessary (disregarding that something native to Windows might have a dependency on it), and get everyone hyped up to screw up things on their computer they'll never be able to fix.

I've been hearing about speedups from disabling QoS and also adjusting MTU sizes for years...and have yet to see anyone follow through on showing real world statistics.

If you want to try it, take three different speed samples over a 5 minute period today, then again tomorrow, then again the next day, then average them out, do the hack, then repeat the 3day process again.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 04-17-2007 at 05:58 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
When someone shows me side-by-side legitimate comparisons from an unbiased source, I will believe it. The same people who type up crap like that are the morons that swear by shutting off every single service on the computer they don't see as being necessary (disregarding that something native to Windows might have a dependency on it), and get everyone hyped up to screw up things on their computer they'll never be able to fix.
Amen brother!
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
If you want to try it, take three different speed samples over a 5 minute period today, then again tomorrow, then again the next day, then average them out, do the hack, then repeat the 3day process again.
I'll give it a go--I'm getting a new laptop next week and open to experimenting on the old rig
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Be sure to create a restore point before screwing around, so you can roll back to the previous state - JUST IN CASE.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Tossing this in here for others, since I shared w/79Silv4x4 already:

I try to convey to guys at the forum that you need to take things w/a grain of salt, especially when it comes to the "which is better, pentium or amd?" threads. There are always a half dozen dumbasses that have NFC what the hell is fact or fiction, but will quickly jump in and misinform someone with "OMG, <insert brand> is so much better because of <insert 4yr old reason>".

It never fails.

That's why I say to take the QoS info with a grain of salt - this QoS information is not really true, and it stems from this article back in 2001:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11...our_bandwidth/

We had someone post about it at our forums December 2001, and it's been around ever since - I had to scroll back and look it up to find out the following for you ... you know how it goes - once something bad comes up, people fuel it, and it spreads like wildfire, true or not.

If you would like to educate yourself on this, rather than blindly believing what someone at a forum says (! as I try not to do, and will never take personally if someone here chooses not to believe me ), then ....

One of the editors at InfoWorld magazine cites several points explaining why this "sky is falling" mentality about XP's QoS is uncalled for, and basically not really accurate:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op...livingston.xml

Additionally, Microsoft has an article about the behavior of QoS here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666

For giggles, look at when the person posted it at the other forum and you will get an idea of how up-to-date that person posting it is. This info has been out for 7 years, and was debunked 6 years ago. Are they still spreading rumours?