The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
4thedogs

Torn on what to do..

OK, here me out. I love my truck but I do not drive it enough for me to appreciate it. When I do, I use it to get drywall, couches, wood, etc. Yet I am contemplating on selling it. I could use it as a daily driver if i worked locally and it was practical for my job. It is a 67 c10 long bed with new tires, newer crate 350 with EFI power steering and power brakes, 3 on the tree. Just a fun truck. Body can use some work but it is solid. Just either ranting or raving over this. Need some guidance.
4thedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Torn on what to do..

If it's paid for and the insurance isn't costing you an arm and a leg, I'd vote to keep it. I have a shell on my truck, so if I get something that has to be forked in I use a store truck, or my son's truck if it isn't over 3/4T- now that he has a truck.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
LEEVON

If you have space for it and you're not in dire need for the money just keep it.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
4thedogs

I have the space for it, nothing is owed on it, the insurance is cheap on it... I just hate that it is not driven. Up here where I am we have some long winters, so the driving season is limited as well. And I appreciate what has been said, I just struggle with knowing that it should be driven..If that all makes sense.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #5
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thedogs View Post
I have the space for it, nothing is owed on it, the insurance is cheap on it... I just hate that it is not driven. Up here where I am we have some long winters, so the driving season is limited as well. And I appreciate what has been said, I just struggle with knowing that it should be driven..If that all makes sense.
Brother I'm here in Alaska and the winters don't get much longer. Granted I have k20 but non-the less, you should be proud to be in a select group of people on this planet that has one of these trucks they can call there own and you should be prouder that you love your truck so much that you are contemplating selling it because you don't drive it enough and someone else would. That right there tells me your very much happy to have your truck. So as other have stated. If you own it, have room for it and insurance is cheap keep it ( it's already yours) because if you let it go be prepared to pay a lot more money for a turd that you will never like as much as the one you currently own. You will always go back to that one. I could be completely wrong also LMAO wouldn't be the first time. Enjoy it why you have it, pass it on to kids when the time comes and if you don't have any kids ill give you my info and you can leave it to me Stay safe!
Old 05-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
HotWheelsFan

If you need to drive it more, pick a few reasons to enjoy it. When are you the happiest driving it? Pick something similar and make an afternoon of driving it to an outing of some sort rather than just to do a job.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #7
Caddylackn

I see nothing wrong with that, it sounds like a perfect situation. It needs nothing to use it and although not perfect, it doesn't bug you. If it was your only car and you had to drive it everyday, you would be sick of it, every little quirk would bug you, and you would soon wish you had a newer vehicle.
Things to do:

Buy a cheap camper for it, or a little fishing boat to tow. Go out and do an overnight camp, explore.

Throw an inflatable mattress in the back and take it to a drive in movie.

Throw a cheap dirt bike in the back (or bicycle) and go to an RV Park or trail.

Help move a friend with it.

Go to a local auto show, park it, and chat with the other pick up owners.

Once a year, buy something new for the truck and install it.

Maybe take it to the local 1/4 or 1/8 track and see what she will do....I bet you are the only one with the three on the tree speed shifting gears. Should get you lots of street cred.

Take it to a sporting event, get there early and tailgate. Drop the tail gate down and BBQ....

Go to a Chevy truck forum event or swap meet..

Parking lot donuts at an abandoned box store...

Get a new seat cover, panels, and new carpet. It will seem like a new truck inside..
Old 05-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I say go ahead and sell it. On the day you actually need a truck, and you decide man I really wish I had a truck even though I don't use it a ton. You're going to find out you wont be able to afford a cool classic pick up to bomb around in when its time to do truck stuff. Cause they aren't getting any cheaper.

Especially trying to find one like this .... It is a 67 c10 long bed with new tires, newer crate 350 with EFI power steering and power brakes, 3 on the tree. Just a fun truck. Body can use some work but it is solid
Old 05-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #9
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

My take, easy to sell hard to replace enough said!!!! A ole truck like these aren't a dime a dozen anymore hang on money in the bank!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I sold my 71 when I got divorced. I was sorry that I did. But I sold it to my friend and bought it back when the smoke cleared. I was lucky. If you don't need to sell it then don't.

I have 15 cars and I know what a pain it is to keep them all up. And I don't like seeing them sit either. I just do my best to keep up on them.

To me they are like money in the bank that you are not spending. They're always there. And they're fun.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:31 AM   #11
dmjlambert

While we're hear thinking about it and talking about it, let's see some pictures of it posted, inside and out. Sounds like fun.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:30 AM   #12
jimijam00

Figure out what it is going to take for you to appreciate it, and do that.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:04 AM   #13
rharris

I’m in eastern PA. Plenty of garage space (not really). Let me know if you decide to sell
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #14
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
Funny you say that... Last weekend I had the truck all "flagged" up, and did a little something that required a heavy right foot and big secondaries! OP, keep that old truck. Getting harder to replace em'.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
I see nothing wrong with that, it sounds like a perfect situation. It needs nothing to use it and although not perfect, it doesn't bug you. If it was your only car and you had to drive it everyday, you would be sick of it, every little quirk would bug you, and you would soon wish you had a newer vehicle.
Things to do:

Buy a cheap camper for it, or a little fishing boat to tow. Go out and do an overnight camp, explore.

Throw an inflatable mattress in the back and take it to a drive in movie.

Throw a cheap dirt bike in the back (or bicycle) and go to an RV Park or trail.

Help move a friend with it.

Go to a local auto show, park it, and chat with the other pick up owners.

Once a year, buy something new for the truck and install it.

Maybe take it to the local 1/4 or 1/8 track and see what she will do....I bet you are the only one with the three on the tree speed shifting gears. Should get you lots of street cred.

Take it to a sporting event, get there early and tailgate. Drop the tail gate down and BBQ....

Go to a Chevy truck forum event or swap meet..

Get a new seat cover, panels, and new carpet. It will seem like a new truck inside..
Great list of ideas! I second the notion. Invent reasons to drive your truck. You sound very practical but some things are good to have just because we enjoy them.

I'll add to the list, one that I'm working on for myself:

Pick one meal for takeout on the weekends and go get it in your truck.

Find something around your house that you'd like to replace or touch up a little bit and take it to the hardware store to get what you need. Don't stay long, because that's where people are losing tailgates and catalytic converters although you won't have a cat probably.

If you're married or have a girlfriend, ask what's on her errand list and offer to take care of one of the errands.

Get on Google maps and look for parks you've never been to, and visit one each weekend you don't have something else to do in the truck.

Look for local shows and drive your truck to the show, even if you don't show it.

Go through your phone and find people you haven't seen in a while, tell them you're taking your truck out for a spin and see if you can stop by and say howdy.

I like to use a truck to make the boring stuff more fun. Don't say this to the people you visit in it ; )
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #16
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWheelsFan View Post
If you need to drive it more, pick a few reasons to enjoy it. When are you the happiest driving it? Pick something similar and make an afternoon of driving it to an outing of some sort rather than just to do a job.

Bob
Absolutely.
Make trash runs, runs to get materials, going to the Flea Market, etc.
Take it to the Drive in to get a burger.
From the sounds of it, your truck is not a “Trailered Show Queen”, but a very nice reliable truck, so just enjoy it.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #17
purple gas

I've had a 67 for 15 or so years. Bought as a shell, it's been running & driving for a long time but I'd maybe burn a tank of gas a year, if that.
Last spring my daily driver truck blew up.
I wasn't in a panic to replace it and the used vehicle market here is pretty high.
I bided my time waiting for a good deal and drove the 67 until the snow came.
I really enjoyed the old girl.
If you get in the habit of driving your truck, even if just on weekends ( Keep the keys in your pocket, park it where it's convenient to jump in & go ) you might find you drive it more.
You'll probably get a lot of thumbs up and compliments in parking lots too.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #18
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

In the last few weeks "what ifs" have creeped into my head about selling my C10. Just this past Thursday I won a BaT auction for a 1969 Austin-Healey Sprite for my daughter that she fell in love with and that got me more into thinking that I'd love to have a convertible too.

Perhaps doing some polish on the AH Sprite (which doesn't seem to need much of anything) will help me push aside selling my C10. My daughter, even though nearly 19 doesn't even have her permit license yet - so I'd likely be able to drive it around a bit, to insure it is all okay ;-)

It seems sacrilege to even thinking about selling my truck - I put a few hours (more like months) into my truck these last two years. Not exactly the position you are in but I can feel your pain that is for sure.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #19
leftybass209

If you were in some financial circumstance that requires the truck to be sold, that's one thing.

If you're just wanting to punt it because you don't use it, but also don't need the money, or storage space.... then really, why? Being sad that you don't use it, doesn't mean someone else will treat it right. Next thing you know it'll be half torn apart, rusting down the street. That'll make you sad too.

It costs nothing but a start and a drive every now and again. Also, i've never heard anyone say, "I'm so glad I sold my truck" vs "Damn i wish i never sold it"

I have a SWB fleet in my garage that i haven't driven in 8 years, and 3 years before that. Everyone in my wife's family comes over and says the same stupid comments, "why don't you sell it" "you never use it". Blah blah.

Just last Easter they had friends over that asked about my longbed out front, and how they bet i probably wish it were a shortbed for value, etc. When i said i already have one, and they started gushing... THEN the family members started to understand.

Last edited by leftybass209; 05-10-2022 at 11:09 AM.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #20
4thedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
While we're hear thinking about it and talking about it, let's see some pictures of it posted, inside and out. Sounds like fun.
Sorry, I don't get on here that much. Here are some pictures of my '67
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2022, 06:32 PM   #21
4thedogs

I am not in a need to sell. It is not costing me anything (insurance is a minimum) Maybe a tank or two of gas a year. Power steering, power front disc rear drum brakes, LED lights all around, crate 350 with fuel injection, and three on the tree. It is fun to drive, just don't have enough time to truly appreciate driving. That is my dilemma.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #22
Ironhorse

Nice looking truck you have there. '67 with a small window, interior and paint look good in the pics. Just be aware IF you were to sell it the cost of a replacement for similar truck in the future will be more costly and a longer search for like condition. I don't drive my '71 4x4 a lot but it's a joy to do so when I can. It is not known for having good gas mileage, LOL. BUT....it brings me back to a more simple time verses the grocery getter "trucks" offered today. My vote as you possibly suspect is ......KEEP IT and DRIVE IT when you can, need to or want to. Nice looking truck.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:49 PM   #23
72c20customcamper

Very nice truck you would have a hard time replacing it . I would say hang onto it . I’ve been contemplating selling a few cars and trucks because I have to many and maintenance is getting out of hand .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #24
dmjlambert

Wow that looks great! Really pretty. The time to drive and appreciate it will vary through your life with it. So I suggest keep it and do some of the things with it that the folks above have listed. Get it in and drive down to the store, and on your way stick your arm out the window and smile and wave enthusiastically at everybody who wishes they had a cool ride like that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #25
72 tigger

I’d keep that old girl, tough to replace. Looks like a nice one
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote