The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Bluegoose972

New Life for an Old Goose

Well guys, just about ready to perform heart replacement surgery on the old beast. Here is what is currently in the works.

Starting with a worn out 71 blazer with a gutted interior, cheap orange paint job, and worn out 350/350 combo. The cap is cracked and has been cut on also, so that will most likely disappear in lieu of a rag top.

First on the agenda...Heart Surgery with new legs to boot!

Just ordered a hi-po Turbo 400 with 2000 stall speed torque converter and Advanced Adapters setup to bolt up to my NP 205 Transfer case. Needed a setup that could handle lots of torque. This combo appears to be about 3.5" longer than the 350/205 combo, so I will have to shift some things, which will be needed for the big block anyways.

Next, figuring that the rear end will never handle my Goose's new heart, I ordered a Dana 60 rearend from DTS, complete with disc brakes, 4.56 gears, and a powerloc positrac diff. That should get the power to the tires at least. They are also making the rearend the same width as the front axle, which I believe will look alot better and stockier.

Now, as for the new heart. Scoggin Dickey, here in Lubbock, seems to have a new 502, 450 hp engine sitting in their warehouse with my name on it. With 550 ft-lbs of torque, this blazer should get up a boggie down the road. Planning on shifting the engine forward 2" to help clear the firewall while the transfer case is also gonna shift back by 1.5" due to the increase length of the transmission.

Of course, before measuring for the new driveshafts, I better install the 6" lift from Skyjacker and 35" tires.

The tranny and rear end should be here by the end of the month, but I really don't see tearing into this thing until Dec 1, due to traveling for work and holidays.

The way I see it.....I drive a company vehicle and my wife has a SUV, so I might as well build a beast for about half what it would cost to buy a new stock truck. I've dreamed about one of these blazers for over 18 years now and I'm finally going to get one!!!!!

I'll keep you posted and post a few pic's to show my progress, or lack of.
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote