The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
Kiss My SS

I know we already discussed this, but...

OK, so I know in a previous post I asked about 3/4 ton axles and such out of a mid '70s truck for my '72 Jimmy. Well, what I am still confused about is the 3/4 ton springs. What I need to know is, will the 3/4 springs go in as a direct replacement for my 1/2 ton springs? Are the 72 1/2ton and mid 70's 3/4 ton spring the same length? I was hoping to at least upgrade the suspension for now and the axles at a later time. (money is tight for a college student with 4 vehicles)

Also, I posted previously that I couldn't get my 205 t/c to engage. Well, I figured out what was wrong. The shifter and linkages weren't tight so it wasn't engaging the front shaft. Some grease and a few turns of the wrench got that taken care of. On the the next problem. The hubs were locked and the front shaft turning, but alas, not wheels were turning. Well, I popped off the hubs only to find that they were full of rust, dirt and little grease. 2 solid days of work and $200 later the front axle was completely rebuilt with new bearings, seals and lots of fresh grease. 4x4 now works. That is one reason why I want to keep the old axles for now. I just figure that the heavier springs will fix the gimpy stance that my truck has.
1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Wife's rig
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote