The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
Johnl48

Parking brake pedal spring ?

My pedal will not snap back, is there supposed to be a spring in this assembly somewhere ? I'm aware of the small handle spring but don't see anywhere there could be another spring to bring the pedal back

Johnl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Parking brake pedal spring ?

Doesn't the spring on the cable going thru the frame bring the pedal back when properly adjusted ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #3
Johnl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Doesn't the spring on the cable going thru the frame bring the pedal back when properly adjusted ?
I'm not sure. I've searched threads here that say there's supposed to be a spring in there similar to a window crank spring
Old 01-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Here is a picture of one Dave sold.

Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...e+pedal+spring

Here is a link of Leon selling the spring .

Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+spring&page=2
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
dmjlambert

I studied this subject on my parking brake foot pedal and think there probably is a spring way up in there but I decided on mine it must be rusted and broken. I removed the assembly from my truck and cleaned it up and painted it, and added a general purpose spring that I bought in a pack of assorted springs from the hardware store. It works great. My add-on spring is attached between the cable attachment point (1), stretched under the assembly belly, to the bolt (2) that holds the conduit.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:56 PM   #6
dmjlambert

There are 2 other springs on the assembly, one is to make the release pull handle spring back in position, and one is for the clicker pawl. The release handle spring can be replaced with a small general purpose spring, and the clicker pawl spring best replacement in my opinion is a Irwin Tools vise-grip pliers spring which last I knew you can get for free from Irwin tools by mail, or buy online.
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  1.4 KB

Neither one of these springs has anything to do with the pedal returning to position.

The release pull handle spring is easiest to see and replace.

For the clicker pawl spring I hooked the circular end of the vise-grip spring to the pawl inside the assembly near where the pawl sticks out through the little window. Then stretch it down and put the hook end of the spring on the belly of the assembly.
Attached Images

Last edited by dmjlambert; 01-28-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Here is a picture of one Dave sold.

Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...e+pedal+spring

Here is a link of Leon selling the spring .

Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+spring&page=2

Thanks. The spring I have is only for the release handle. I think the pedal return spring is on the primary cable.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #8
dmjlambert

I probably need to replace my primary cable and conduit assembly, then maybe the return of the pedal would have some more force and would not need my add-on spring. Maybe.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #9
Accelo

The springs that return the handle are located inside the back brakes. You know the ones that make it difficult to remove the shoes? Disconnect the two cables at the adjustment under the truck. You should be able to pull on the front cable while someone releases the brake from inside the truck. This will prove the front cable function. Just pulling on each rear cable with a vise grip will prove the rears. Just pull and the springs return the cable(s). I'd bet the issue is in the rear cables as they are close to the road and crap and only last so long. The real early trucks even had a zert fitting the the E-brake cables to avoid this exact issue. I now check them every time I complete a brake job. After I smoked a set of rear brakes of course.
Nice job on the E-brake actuator. Looks just like factory with the paint going only partly up the foot pedal.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:52 PM   #10
Johnl48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The springs that return the handle are located inside the back brakes. You know the ones that make it difficult to remove the shoes? Disconnect the two cables at the adjustment under the truck. You should be able to pull on the front cable while someone releases the brake from inside the truck. This will prove the front cable function. Just pulling on each rear cable with a vise grip will prove the rears. Just pull and the springs return the cable(s). I'd bet the issue is in the rear cables as they are close to the road and crap and only last so long. The real early trucks even had a zert fitting the the E-brake cables to avoid this exact issue. I now check them every time I complete a brake job. After I smoked a set of rear brakes of course.
Nice job on the E-brake actuator. Looks just like factory with the paint going only partly up the foot pedal.
Cheers.
I have a disc brake conversion on all 4 wheels. 2 springs are on the e brake caliper. Not in yet. My pedal assembly has 1 spring I can see which is the handle spring. Finish is black oxide