The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
jr2k3_esq

New purchase, lots of unknown

Hello!
It’s been a lot of years since I’ve posted last, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 1972 GMC Suburban 1/2 ton and need help figuring out what’s under the power barn. I’ve been told it’s a 496 Big Block, it has a Holley Carb on it and Edelbrock performer 2.0 intake, and signs that someone was playing around on it with bolt ons. Looking around online at how to read the engine stamps I can’t find this one. I’m trying to figure out if it is a factory 496, or the more likely 454 punched out. Or maybe the information I had gotten was wrong and it’s a 396 🤷*♀️.

In that regard when it comes to me looking to purchase parts for it, would I tell people it’s a 454? Any help would be appreciated.

The number on the tab on the front passenger side looks to be 071175266
jr2k3_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:03 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: New purchase, lots of unknown

Never was a factory 496.
You need the casting number from the drivers side behind the head.
Those numbers you posted are part of the serial number of the vehicle the motor was put in originally.
There should be some other letters and numbers stamped on the pad.
A pic of the pad and the motor would help.
Welcome back from just down island!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:10 AM   #3
geezer#99

And if you look here there’s pics of where to look for casting codes and what they mean.

https://www.mortec.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:13 AM   #4
jr2k3_esq

Thank you! I’ll try and snag a pic of any other numbers I can find on the rear drivers side
Old 12-12-2022, 03:14 AM   #5
jr2k3_esq

I had gotten confirmation tonight from the broker I purchased the suburban from that the motor is a 468, not 496. The SPID shows the suburban came with a 400 from factory paired with a TH400, and posi!

I was able to half assed crawl under the rig for the first time tonight and drink it in, some things definitely need changing or modifying.

It has a bolt in C notch with hockey pucks bolted in as a bump stop, bags and blocks were added to the stock trailing arms. It’s on a 4 switch air ride kit, with 285/35r22 on the rear and 265/35r22 up front. To clear the 285 out back they cut the plywood floor to make room and moved the wheel tubs inward but chose gorilla tape to make up the difference to the rear quarters And the rear carpet is hanging out exposed as a water wick.

I purchased this with a project in mind to tweak and fix/make my own and “finish”

The exhaust has been routed through the rear Cross member to stay in line with the frame rails to lay down, but I found a nasty bend at the manifold which is choking things out for sure.

I’m excited to finally be able to own a driving 69-72 anything since the pickup I had when I created this account years ago but had to give it up due to a growing family. I’ve always been a fan of these forums and the family vibe they often give off and look forward to posting much more in the upcoming months.

I tried to upload pics but they’re too large, what avenue does everyone use to upload pics? I want to show this thing off haha.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
mr.mud1

hi,your truck had 402 big block called a "400" and a turbo 400 originally.there was a small block 400 but not in these trucks.your 468 is a .060 over 454.i usually go hunt for the dates cast in the castings if i don't know what i'm working on,for no other reason than to at least hone in on what year the engine is.the date codes will be on the bellhousing flange on the back of the block,just to the right of center if you were standing behind the engine.dates are on a stock intake,in the cylinder heads,they're all over the place if you go looking.an example of a date,like on the back of my 402 is E 24 71 . that's 5th month,E so May 24 1971 is when my block was made.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #7
jr2k3_esq

My manager was trying to pull a Carfax for the old girl and it shows Ontario registration and BC. Doing a deep sleuth online I randomly found 3 photos of the Burban in Ontario at a car show!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VV8p7MU5RVENfEG56

This link here should bring you to pics of it then with chrome wheels (2008ish) vs now (same wheels painted black). Any chance the previous owner is a member or you guys have seen this on the forum before? I’m trying to find all the info I can.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
Perpendicular

Dig the truck! Nice score
Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:02 AM   #9
jr2k3_esq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Dig the truck! Nice score
Thank you! I had a 1970 C20 project in 2008 when I signed up on this forum and in 2009 learned I was going to be a dad and had to sell it. The guy I sold it to was going to restore it, and my dad was secretly keeping in touch with him and was going to buy it back when done and gift it to me.

I lost my dad last year and this is going to be his way of giving me my dream and my way to show him my gratitude for it by making memories with his grand daughters in it.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2k3_esq View Post
Thank you! I had a 1970 C20 project in 2008 when I signed up on this forum and in 2009 learned I was going to be a dad and had to sell it. The guy I sold it to was going to restore it, and my dad was secretly keeping in touch with him and was going to buy it back when done and gift it to me.

I lost my dad last year and this is going to be his way of giving me my dream and my way to show him my gratitude for it by making memories with his grand daughters in it.

Sounds like a great idea. Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he would approve of your plans.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:43 PM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Never was a factory 496.
You need the casting number from the drivers side behind the head.
Those numbers you posted are part of the serial number of the vehicle the motor was put in originally.
There should be some other letters and numbers stamped on the pad.
A pic of the pad and the motor would help.
Welcome back from just down island!
Not in our generation of trucks, but GM did produce an 8.1 liter engine that was 496 cubic inches in the early 2000s

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
fourspeedwagon

Very cool. I clicked on the link for the pics- Any idea what the seats are out of? How do you like them?
Thanks!
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #13
jr2k3_esq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourspeedwagon View Post
Very cool. I clicked on the link for the pics- Any idea what the seats are out of? How do you like them?
Thanks!
Thank you! From what I gather it’s the buckets, console, and rear 2nd row seat from a mid 90’s Burban or Tahoe, or front buckets and a front bench installed in the rear. Super plush and comfy.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #14
jr2k3_esq

I was able to track down the fella that built my suburban! He may even be a member of the board somewhere. He bought it out of Arizona in 1999 and shipped it to Manitoba where he built it and moved around Canada with it then sold in 2022 before I got it.
He bought the 468 and trans that’s in it as is so there’s still unknown there about it, but he installed the air ride and c-notch, confirmed it’s still the factory posi rear end with 3:73 gears. The paint was done in 99, all the window seals were replaced, the fuel tank is out of a newer suburban, seats are out of a 95 suburban.
Since posting pics in the link above I’ve taken out the deck and put in a 5” touch screen so I can have Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth, removed the hitch and wiring, removed the trailer brake controller, and tightened the water neck where it was leaking coolant.
I’ve also gotten confirmation that he once had a 325/40r22 stuffed on the back so I can play with wheel and tire sizes. The 22’s aren’t my thing, the tires on it currently have an OD of 29” which is the same as what was on it from factory.

If I drop to a 28” or 27” tire I can drop lower while driving and may have more performance options.

Either way it was a cool phone call and he’s going to send me build pics.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:09 PM   #15
kev2809
low n' slo

wow, those pics from the car show look amazing. any more to add? id like to see some more!

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 PM   #16
jr2k3_esq

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
wow, those pics from the car show look amazing. any more to add? id like to see some more!
I’ll add pics of the deck I installed and I put clear makers on the sides vs Amber and red. It’s still threatening winter here on Vancouver Island and my time off is limited to play with it.

Currently trying to fight with and figure out LED bulbs and my neutral safety switch to get my reverse lights to work.