The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #76
chev-obsession

Re: A grandpa’s camper truck resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain X View Post
Oh, thanks.

Are the wire ends part of the wires themselves, or are those a separate thing you can get? Seems like the kind of thing to get to avoid burned wires.
The spark plug wires and looms are a separate deal. There are black plastic insulators that hold the wires and also bolts to the aluminum frame.

The wires come in “straight”, “90 degree” or “45 degree” on the spark plug end. I chose the straight to get the wires away from the manifold. The spark plug end comes on the wire and you have to cut to length and crimp on the distributor end. They come with HEI and points style boots.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #77
Captain X

Thanks.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:23 AM   #78
chev-obsession

The last couple of weeks I have gotten a lot done! Tonight I finally got the truck to start up and move under its own power!

I got the tires mounted onto the wheels, come to find out one of the wheels that powdered coated was bent… not too thrilled about that. So I’ll have to find another one and use the bent one as a spare.

Got the battery and cables on, wires up the HEI with a new wire in place of the old resistance wire, wired up the alternator and put the headlights on relays, did have to replace the dimmer switch to get headlights to work too. Replaced the rear tail light harness front the cab all the way back to the tail lights, the old one was hacked up pretty good. I figured I’d put the relays on before the truck was running so that way it actually got done and not put off, plus once you drive one of these trucks with a headlight relay setup, you’ll never go back!

Slapped the rear diff back together, going to drive it and see how bad it really is. Still planning to find a better unit. Got the seat cover off, soaked it in simple green and washed it out to get the old dirt and dust out. Pulled the floor mats, scrubbed with oxi clean and simple green and really cleaned it up!

Chased a brake line leak, too tight isn’t tight enough on the aftermarket brake lines!!!

Basically I got all of the little things the truck needed to get running done.

Tonight I filled the coolant up, fired it up and started fairly easily! I was very impressed that after all of that work it fired up no problem. I had to figure there’d be something I forgot. Engine seems to run well! I now have a new list of stuff to fix/tend to though. I did drive it down the drive way and it needs a little more work to be road worthy.

I found a coolant leak between the block and head on passenger side after reaching operating temp. (No coolant leak previously before tearing down, used aviation form-a-gasket on bolts, and heads are flat)

Trans seems to go into each gear which is great but leaks like a sieve!

Brakes are sticking, pedal returns very slowly. I’ll have to do some researching on the board, new problems means new motivation!! I’m super pumped to have it move under its own power!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #79
68bowtie

She’s a runner!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #80
Chevys4life

The truck is coming along very nicely. I need to eventually put relays on my headlights too. I wish I had upgraded my alternator like I was told to do, but didn't listen. I will run the external regulator/alternator setup for now.
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote