The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #26
static80

Re: Time for a Canadian build thread

OK, I made an attempt at folding over the rear corner of the shortened box side. First step is to trace the box corner and make a 1/4" plate form. Second step is to draw your bend line and tack the form into the bed. Then start lightly tapping the edge over. Lots of small light taps and try to bring it over evenly tapping the high spots.
Attached Images

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:34 AM   #27
SkinnyG

Yeah - the wrinkles and taps are how you can shrink the curves.

Looks awesome.

We should go do smoke shows together when they're both done, eh?!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:16 PM   #28
66C10LB

Looks like the tapping over of that bedside flange is working nicely over the 1/4 inch plate. Is the plate staying in place OK while tapping?
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #29
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66C10LB View Post
Looks like the tapping over of that bedside flange is working nicely over the 1/4 inch plate. Is the plate staying in place OK while tapping?
I tacked the plate to the bedside before I started tapping the flange over so that it will stay in place.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #30
static80

Fit the back corner on and I'm not disappointed. One thing is that I couldn't tack the flange for the top 2/3 because there is no access with the stake pocket there so I had to put the tacks on the outside. I'm tempted to tack all the way on the outside and hide the seam...
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #31
static80

The front is a bit different. The flange that's tipped over is 3/4" instead of 3/8" and it's past 90 degrees. I made the template 1/4" undersized and wrapped a 1 x 1/4 flat bar around it. Then I put a bevel on the flatbar so that I could tip the flange past 90 like original. I also had to cut a couple of the tight bends so that I didn't loose the crispness of the shape on the box side.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2022, 12:05 AM   #32
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Fit the back corner on and I'm not disappointed. One thing is that I couldn't tack the flange for the top 2/3 because there is no access with the stake pocket there so I had to put the tacks on the outside. I'm tempted to tack all the way on the outside and hide the seam...
That looks really good!

My understanding is that guys will pull apart the rear cap from the stake pocket to get access to tack everything together from the inside of the box sides. It looks like there are spot spot welds along the edge that mates up with the tailgate. After doing all the work to tip that edge it would be a shame to weld that seam up solid...
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:07 PM   #33
static80

As suggested I pulled the stake pocket and rear cap apart for the drivers side. The drivers side had some damage so pulling it apart had the added benefit of letting me straighten out the cap. I got the drivers side shortened up but haven't finished welding and stuff because I have to spend the time shimming and aligning all the body panels before I totally commit.

I had to loose the braces that attach above the wheel arches because of tire clearance so now the drivers box side isn't as straight as I would like. I guess I'll have to design some other kind of brace to try to remedy that.

And then because the 96 Camaro already donated it's transmission to this truck I figured I'd see if the steering rack would be usable as well. Still some figuring to do but it looks like I might be able to shorten the inner tie rod ends and flip the outers to the underside of the steering arms it might work. I'm on the search for some disk brake spindles that I can use to mock up the steering.
Attached Images