The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Bullzak_83

Classic A/C Bracket

70 Chevy C10

Has anyone installed a classic air a/c system on their truck with headers and ran into the problem I did.
I called Classic air ( which was helpful in trying to help) they told me to call ICT Billet, But apparently ICT only deals with LT series engines.
The problem I have is the bracket that attaches to the exhaust portion of the engine will not clear the front tube on my header, I bought a header that would work with the bracket, but it was hitting the motor mount....
My next option is to buy some shorty headers, which I really don't want to.
Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bullzak_83; 11-30-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Bullzak_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Classic A/C Bracket

Call Classic Air again and tell them you are sending everything back and want a full refund including return shipping because what they sent you is incorrect for the application. You may see some customer service after that in getting the right parts
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Bullzak_83

KWMECH,
If I did not already have 98% of the system installed I would.
I was in process of finishing up the engine portion last weekend when I ran into this problem.
Never thought I would run into a bracket issue, When I talked to Classic Air, support told me its hard to make a bracket that would fit every application, and usually some bracket modification would be necessary. I can accept that, but you would think they might have a couple of different brackets that one could try if you ran into this problem.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:39 AM   #4
kwmech

Yeah that bracket is not even close and if you were to modify it to fit there is not going to be much left of it.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:08 AM   #5
Richard

To me this is custom stuff. Expecting that parts will bolt on when you are mixing and matching is not realistic. To expect that a manufacturer can accommodate every possible combination is also unrealistic. I would clearance the bracket to fit. If you feel there is not enough left for strength add some metal to reinforce it. If you do not have the means to do it yourself find someone that can do it for you.
Looking at your pics again it looks like taking a moon section 1/2" or so out of the bracket where the tube is will let it bolt up. I would do it and not have a problem with it. Die grinder with a burr bit or a grinder should handle it. If you have to, cut spacer down for back bolt and use a shorter one. Bend an offset in bracket. Make it work.

Last edited by Richard; 12-01-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
kwmech

Are the spacers welded to the plate, and do they need to be that long?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
Rickysnickers

Let me ask this, providing they won't take it back, can you drill a hole in the bracket and mount it to the second head bolt hole (the red circle)?
Attached Images

Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
NorCalC20LWB

I put in a Vintage Air system, but ran into the exact problem you have. The bracket they sent you looks exactly like the first one Vintage sent me, which was for manifolds. I called them and was told there is a specific bracket for headers and they would mail one to me. Worked great, just a bit of grinding to create a little more clearance, then fit like a glove.

I'd call them back and ask if they have the correct bracket for headers, if not (which would be really odd since you're not the only one installing with headers and not manifolds) I'd try calling Vintage Air and ask if their header bracket will work with a Classic Air system.

Here's a pic of the correct VA bracket installed....
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #9
Bullzak_83

NorCalC20LWB,
Looks like I happened onto the same bracket you have..
All I can say is thank God for Summit Racing, this place has to be the Grainger of Auto parts, and its really nice there is one not 20 mins from my house.
Went by after work to pick up another set of headers, was talking to one of the counter guys and he found the bracket made for headers. I had no ideal they had this, I even looked on-line this morning but apparently did not have the right filter to see it. Just wish Classic auto air had mentioned or known about this bracket. I cannot be the first person to have this problem.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2021, 12:39 AM   #10
NorCalC20LWB

yep, that's the bracket VA sent me too! hopefully, you didn't throw some tools around the garage first before you found the solution like I did. Enjoy the AC!
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
BigBird05

If you end up modifing your bracket make a templet and cut a bracket out of wood. Then modify it till you get it right. That way you only have to modify the metal bracket once.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote