The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #101
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: Cant drive 55 Literaly

Put a turbo on it!!!! That will fix everything in a heart beat!!!!!! Did you get a chance to listen to how mine runs? I am interested in finding out if yours runs the same or not, cause it would benefit me in helping you out. Here's a phone number to a guy you can call who is a builder/racer on these and has helped me a ton. Mike Baril @ 1-954-923-9883 and Tom langdon @ 1-586-739-9601 and also Larry Page @ 1-321-303-2742 all pro's on these motors and if they can't help...........TIME FOR A DIFFERENT MOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #102
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CHEV View Post
well we are at 4 pages and yes the op is still where he started

but that just tells me obviously cg285 is not any smarter than i am because i have tried and tested everything that has been suggested except for the clogged muffler and still have the same problem.
hahaha no u haven't
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #103
Metalaroundstone

Hi Chevy66. I have just read this interesting thread and was impressed with all the excellent feedback you received. This is quite the mystery. I will place my bet on the problem being related to ignition timing. Maybe you have already done this, but try checking to see if your vacuum advance is actually working. Pull the vacuum line from the engine, take the distributor cap off, and suck on the vacuum line and see the affect this has in moving the plate in the distributor cap. You may have to hook up a longer vacuum line to the distributor to do this comfortably. Just because you switched out the vacuum advance doesn't necessarily mean it is working correctly. There can be a small hole in the diaphragm and it won't hold or move the, or there can be binding on the plate itself. There could also be a small hole or crack in the vacuum line itself. Each line in the system can be easily checked by taking it off, putting your finger over one end and sucking on the other end. Check all your vacuum lines in this manner. Of course, these procedures suck! A leaking vacuum line or vacuum advance unit could account for your vacuum readings fluctuating so much at idle.

I can certainly relate to your struggles on this. I hope a solution will come soon.
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #104
1966shortwide

Angry Re: Cant drive 55 Literaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CHEV View Post
well we are at 4 pages and yes the op is still where he started

but that just tells me obviously cg285 is not any smarter than i am because i have tried and tested everything that has been suggested except for the clogged muffler and still have the same problem.
well why won't you disconnect exhaust drive it also and check the heat riser!!!!!!:
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #105
1966shortwide

You also mentioned a lot of carbon in the head when you changed intake ,exhaust gasket, if it can't get exhaust out and that could be the problem.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #106
awbrown

With old Chevys I always try to confirm that TDC on the balancer is still TDC after an engine has gone thousands of miles .. I use a long screwdriver and bring the piston to tdc ,with the screwdriver in the spark plug hole I roll it forward and backwards til I estimate it to be at TDC ,best you can tell of course.. then see if the marks on the balancer are even close... I normally advance mine more than factory specs as long as it doesn't bind hot ,I normally recurve the distributor ,if it is not all in by 2500....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #107
66CHEV

tweeked the timing a little bit last night, helped some. the truck now has more power. the miss is still present under load however. after lots of research about the issue i am convinced the rest of the trouble is in the old rochester 1 barrel carb. planning on changing it out to a two barrel very soon. thanks for all the input!
66CHEV is offline   Reply With Quote