The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #2126
Mac93

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Installed a dual USB port, re-using the cigarette chrome bezel. Had to wallow out the chrome bezel and hole in the dash slightly. Slid in and applied the retaining ring on the backside. Ran a wire to fuse panel, plugging into an available "key on" location. Installed a 5amp in line fuse. Confirmed it works.
Attached Images

Mac93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #2127
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I bought this C20 maybe five years ago. Thoughts of parting it out at first, but changed my mind and forgot about spark plugs Normally I'd swap out strange, never did. This truck doesn't see much attention less it's my favorite driver. I figured the engine was just mostly tired, and prolonged this thing until couldn't ignore a spark issue.

End of day I should have replaced them day one, you think these were a problem I've probably put 4Kish on her, no heat, wipers, bad grounds for the headlights and that

It's never run better for me by a long shot, I don't know to feel guilty or happy. Gave her the wires off my project truck I love throwing away boxes.

Project just getting fun really, hard to believe I haven't touched what's being assembled in 4 years. Stacked the cab & bed the other day. Not reflected by this picture the bed is currently 1/32" shorter than the cab line, I want to see what some weight does on the cab. To me shims for the bed are a bonus, cab ever sinks can always remove a shim She'll finish somewhere around 1/8" shims, on the front of the bed at least. The rest already has a 1/32" rubber pad. Cab seems high to me, assuming factory work was perfect. Could be the cushions, but I prefer to lean the lower spec torque on the cab bushings. Unless something unforeseen, I finished at 35 lbs. at the rear and 70 lbs. in front.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #2128
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Took out the dash gauge cluster and fixed the left blinker light bleed through that annoyed the hell out of me at night. I bought some rubber stock off Amazon (about the thickness of a bike tube) and used two sockets sizes and a BFH to stamp out circles that would fit under the cardboard blinker tubes (did both sides). Tested with the garage door closed - it's sealed perfectly!

During that repair, replaced the column's blinker/hazard mech (again). The last one I got the taillights wouldn't hazard, so that is fixed now!

While I had the dash out, I wrapped up my stereo wires with a fabric like black tape, the kind you would use in the engine bay. So that is all high and tight too!

During the week, got my replacement Precision Anti-rattle kit from Jeff @Precision (free). After cutting both sides of the outer rubber flap back to 1 inch (supposed to be 9/16) the belts fit more or less perfectly! This rubber flap is cut back to so the outer belt can get between the door and the vent divider.

I also got in this week and installed two new front '72 parking light sockets from anew4961. I was able to just buy the sockets from him, since I didn't need the lens. Last summer I installed LEDs replacements. I was missing a screw because one was frozen on and during disassembly for the LEDs and it broke. Plus that socket was a bit out of whack. With the reburbs I got new gaskets, which were sorely needed too. Very much overkill getting these socket replacements but I don't really care, it made it easier to just replace them.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #2129
OregonNed

Had my driveshaft rebalanced and the worn front yoke replaced. In a couple of weeks, the rearend is getting completely rebuilt.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #2130
72c20customcamper

Got the 68 out of the barn . Finished the metal work on the drivers floor and rocker. The rocker was in great shape other than where it met the floor I was cutting to rocker to fit the repair piece as I welded. So it’s a complete butt weld not overlappedEverything went back together easily with good gaps . So now it’s time for the finish bodywork all the rust work is done . She’s starting to look like a truck again
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 05-17-2021 at 07:26 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:24 AM   #2131
pjmoreland

I rebuilt this '93 700R4 a few months ago and had to set it aside while I worked on other projects. Last week I finally got to start installing it in my truck. Got the shortened driveshaft back from the shop yesterday, so today I got to drive it for the first time. I was stressed out wondering if it would work, but it did great. What a relief. I wired up the torque converter clutch this evening, and that's working, although I need a vacuum delay valve to keep it from hunting. I will go with a time delay relay if I can't find a suitable vacuum delay valve. I thought I had one, but what I have is just a check valve.

The truck is so much more pleasant to drive on the freeway now.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #2132
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unhappy Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Soooo jealous pjmoreland .... you are doing much more complex things and having success!

I have installed and uninstall my new carb that was from a 72 C10 truck and rebuilt by QuadraJet Power down the road a bit from me here in Texas. Either its a bad rebuild or it hates my truck. Either way, the old one is back in and working as it always has (which is pretty good but from a 78 truck).

I also got my Vent windows from RogerKoop a few days ago and got them installed. Though I think I have a problem with one of the windows. The safety silk screen on the passenger side is on the outside. So when you are looking at it from outside the truck, the words are backwards. I am pretty sure this is wrong. Kind of screwed as I did not notice this until I was windexing the glass. Assuming I am right (and its wrong) I can't win anything this week!

For the record, the originals both sides are in the inside and you can read them both from the outside. The driver side is also silkscreened from the inside, readable from the outside.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 05-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #2133
pjmoreland

I feel your pain with that carburetor. You should not be dealing with these issues. I sure hope the place that rebuilt it for you makes it right!
Old 05-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #2134
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unhappy Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Oh I forgot, USPS totally destroyed my anti-rattle belts and vent divider fuzzies. I didn’t need the latter (assumed I needed to supply them). The rubber belts were bowed and the fuzzy belts were usable. So I had to be careful to only remove the fuzzies from the door and leaving the rubber ones in. That was a challenge but it worked.

These photos are how postal person left the box at my door today.

So it has been a bad few days. I guess I really pissed of the gods somehow!

PS: yes I have installed new door belts a few times, bad planning but after I got my last set of seals in I decided I did really need new vents from RogerKoop
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #2135
body bolt

I put down the tailgate, sat on it and had a couple of beers.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #2136
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

you my friend had the better idea for your truck!

Old 05-23-2021, 01:57 AM   #2137
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Soooo jealous pjmoreland .... you are doing much more complex things and having success!

I have installed and uninstall my new carb that was from a 72 C10 truck and rebuilt by QuadraJet Power down the road a bit from me here in Texas. Either its a bad rebuild or it hates my truck. Either way, the old one is back in and working as it always has (which is pretty good but from a 78 truck).

I also got my Vent windows from RogerKoop a few days ago and got them installed. Though I think I have a problem with one of the windows. The safety silk screen on the passenger side is on the outside. So when you are looking at it from outside the truck, the words are backwards. I am pretty sure this is wrong. Kind of screwed as I did not notice this until I was windexing the glass. Assuming I am right (and its wrong) I can't win anything this week!

For the record, the originals both sides are in the inside and you can read them both from the outside. The driver side is also silkscreened from the inside, readable from the outside.
The writing on my original vent windows is on the inside on one and outside on the other. I'm assuming this is because the two windows are identical to each other as opposed to being mirror images.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #2138
72c20customcamper

Nothing major just installed a new gas hardline from the pump. Think the first attempt I screwed up the measurements 😀
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #2139
Davidf

Yesterday, pulled the front clip from my newly painted ‘71 and almost dropped it! All in the rain.

Then pulled the old tired 350 in preparation for an LS swap.

Anyone want to come get the 350/700R4?

Today, firewall and frame clean-up. If only it would stop,raining
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #2140
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

temping... for a 700R4 - if I didn't need a lower rear end too! Plus I have enough problems but I'm likely to regret not coming to visit you (me being in Kyle and all) LOL

Old 05-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #2141
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The writing on my original vent windows is on the inside on one and outside on the other. I'm assuming this is because the two windows are identical to each other as opposed to being mirror images.
Well, both of mine originals are readable from the outside. Though I think one is silk screened from the outside... which is why one is darker and the other isn't?
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #2142
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Well, both of mine originals are readable from the outside. Though I think one is silk screened from the outside... which is why one is darker and the other isn't?
Interesting. I didn't pay attention to whether mine are readable or not, but they are probably the same as yours.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #2143
BigBird05

I brought this ambulance home. Looks like it will be good for parts.
Attached Images

BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #2144
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

ah, that is cool! I say dress up as Ghost Busters!

... flipped and cropped while I was add it.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2021, 09:31 PM   #2145
67C10Step

Sprayed some SPI epoxy on my new bed front, tailgate, and rear sill. Much time spent scuffing and cleaning these parts. Went well but I got a small run on the tailgate as I didn't have my new gun set just right at the outset. My fault for being impatient.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #2146
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Sprayed some SPI epoxy on my new bed front, tailgate, and rear sill. Much time spent scuffing and cleaning these parts. Went well but I got a small run on the tailgate as I didn't have my new gun set just right at the outset. My fault for being impatient.
I only see plastic on the floor. Did you use some of that stealth paint?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #2147
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I only see plastic on the floor. Did you use some of that stealth paint?
I got one of those new laser paint guns. The exhaust fan does a pretty good job in my shop but there was still noticeable overspray outside my magic plastic box on the floor. I covered up or moved out all the important stuff. I'll touch up the tailgate and then move on to the bedsides. Got me a new DeWalt cordless DA sander to try out.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #2148
72c20customcamper

Rot work is all done on the cab ,rocker is 80% original . Just a little left to do on the drivers door . Then it’s just finish bodywork
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #2149
the67Beast

Just a little more to remove and then the frame is off to power coat shop.
Attached Images

the67Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #2150
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Got some parts from Manes Truck Parts this week and from Specialtyretail. I tell you what, I like that Manes Truck Parts place! Twice they have called me. Once to say my Sports Mirrors would be shipped a little late, the other time likely to talk about a email but I couldn't take the call and I figured things out anyways shortly after their call.

From Specialtyretail, I got some of his wipers and some real nice used arms. Once of the first things I ever bought (from LMC) was arms and wipers. One of my arms spring thingy was busted from when I bought the truck. Fast forward less than a year I started to get rust around all the rivets :< Specialtyretail tells I'll get no rust on these

From Manes, I got Sport Mirrors and a new hi-beam foot switch. My foot switch was a little dodgy and sometimes I had to give it a extra tap when going to hi-beams. My Sport Mirrors, the mirror part looked darn brand new but the arms were badly pitted. No more pits! Also, now I can actually adjust them without thinking I'm going to break them off my door (they really didn't want to move).

Also, removed all the darn little foam Hood brace pads and replace them with 3M NVH Dampening Material and man what a difference, nearly all the hood jello jiggling is gone. Just please don't ask me what it cost me to get that applied LOL

PS: RustyPile commented on my pitted mirror arms (offered some similar ones that I could have) but after that replacing them instantly went near the top of my list LOL!
Attached Images