The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
MDFarms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Posts: 76
Angry Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Anyone know of a shop or individual that knows how.pr.wpuld want to be hired to cut down a 8ft bed properly preferably in Michigan or If not Indiana/Ohio? Or have the templates that show.the cut lines around the rear marker lights?
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan
Registered User
 
HotWheelsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 73
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Wow, wish the best for you.

Tried to put a section of roof onto a vehicle to cover up a sun-roof. Way to hard for me to do properly. Learned a lot though.


Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
AussieinNC
Moderator
 
AussieinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cherryville, NC
Posts: 1,814
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Just a suggestion...have you priced new sheetmetal bedsides...

They are usually around $500 a side.......LMC has them on backorder right now but other suppliers may have stock....

I have done a few sets for myself...but it is a big job...I buy new now if the originals need more than a few days work...

__________________
Family and country before all others...
2001 GMC Sierra
2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
MDFarms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Posts: 76
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Just a suggestion...have you priced new sheetmetal bedsides...

They are usually around $500 a side.......LMC has them on backorder right now but other suppliers may have stock....

I have done a few sets for myself...but it is a big job...I buy new now if the originals need more than a few days work...

Looked into them? How is quality? thickness of metal the same?
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #5
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 17,119
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Also keep in mind that longbed wheelwell openings are slightly different, pretty easy to spot visually, if that matters to you. That's one of the main reasons (along with simplicity) aftermarket shortbed sides are popular and sometimes a good choice. Not to mention stake pockets...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
MDFarms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Posts: 76
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Also keep in mind that longbed wheelwell openings are slightly different, pretty easy to spot visually, if that matters to you. That's one of the main reasons (along with simplicity) aftermarket shortbed sides are popular and sometimes a good choice. Not to mention stake pockets...
What do you mean we wel openings are different? The guys that do it correctly save stake pockets front and rear along with marker light. Seen some amazing jobs but never noticed wheel well openings?
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
Myself
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern Arkansas
Posts: 964
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Very good shortening info and method in this thread.....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667694
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
jocko
Senior Member
 
jocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burleson, TX
Posts: 17,119
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
What do you mean we wel openings are different? The guys that do it correctly save stake pockets front and rear along with marker light. Seen some amazing jobs but never noticed wheel well openings?
It's not a matter of saving stake pockets, it's a matter or remembering to eliminate the middle ones from a long bed. I agree most do the stake pockets correctly by eliminating the middle ones, but the point is that it's additional work that folks don't always consider. Not much, but adds up. As for the wheel openings, the difference is in the forward lower edge of the opening. It's not "that" noticeable, but now that you've seen it, you won't be able to keep yourself from looking at it swb is a sharp point, lwb is curved.
Attached Images
 
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
MDFarms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Posts: 76
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
It's not a matter of saving stake pockets, it's a matter or remembering to eliminate the middle ones from a long bed. I agree most do the stake pockets correctly by eliminating the middle ones, but the point is that it's additional work that folks don't always consider. Not much, but adds up. As for the wheel openings, the difference is in the forward lower edge of the opening. It's not "that" noticeable, but now that you've seen it, you won't be able to keep yourself from looking at it swb is a sharp point, lwb is curved.
I like to be oem correct on everything but will say in this case 99.9% would never catch this BUT never the less a good point.

My concern is GM metal is always better than "AFTERMARKET" metal. Now I have never seen the new SB sides offered so any input would be greatly appreciated. Whats the quality of metal and if anyone knows if there is a difference in thickness? Do the body lines line up correctly and look good once installed?

Thanks for advice
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Snake72
Registered User
 
Snake72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 210
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

I bought new bedsides for my LWB, 100% the right decision for me. Haven't gauged the thickness but they are heavy and well built. I think they were goodmark brand. Body lines were great, overall fit was great with minor massaging, had to enlarge a few holes and grind down some sharp creased edges.
Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #11
Snake72
Registered User
 
Snake72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 210
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

here is a bad pic of mine...the SWB bedsides are cheaper than the LWB as well
Attached Images
  
Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
Big Kev-O
Senior Member
 
Big Kev-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Simi, CA
Posts: 310
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVikDbvDfQ

The guy in this video uses a method similar to the one mentioned above but he angles the rear cut which is supposed to make the body line easier to match up. The video shows how to layout the cut template with masking tape on the rear section. After reading the treads and watching several videos I purchased bedsides from form LMC because they offered free shipping with any purchase over $1000. The two bedsides were $998 so i added a cheap part to get the free shipping. I was impressed with the bedsides but unfortunately UPS damaged them. LMC is shipping out another set but now they are back ordered. To me time is money and if I spent 20 + hours cutting , welding and body working bedsides I may as well buy a pair that are guaranteed to look good.
__________________
Made in America by Americans
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #13
Peanut74
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 329
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

MDFarms, I started down the same path as you. In the end I decided to just buy a new short Fleetwood bed kit from SOKY. I wanted a metal bed and the was a grand and my tailgate was rusted out so another 400 which got me to 1400. Add to that the cost of get the soda blasted I determined it wasn't worth it going that route.

If you check out my thread: "Got a bed kit today and looking for some assembly tips"
In the thread I documented the metal gauges of the various parts. I also noted how the parts fit together and their quality. Sorry, don't know how to copy the link to paste it here.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
1967 C10 "Snowball" (Currently in a million pieces down from a bazillion)
1989 Toyota DLX pickup "The Hulk"
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:04 AM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

 
67ChevyRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 22,858
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

I found a near perfect original paint longbed from out west and cut it down. Don't be upset long bed guys, I paid a lot of $ for it

The cutting and putting it back together part are easy... fully welding it and having the bedside look like this when you're done is no easy task.

The last pic is the Z cut template. When you put a straight edge on the back of the bed, you'll clearly see where the bed "falls off and curves" to the taillights. That's your first line, basically the back edge of the turn signal, 8" over is your 2nd line. My truck is a 67 so I just cut out the turn signal.

I did have an original short bed I kept taking measurements from too.
Attached Images
   
__________________
Jesse James
1967 C10 SWB Stepside: 350/700R4/3.73
1965 Ford Mustang: 289/T5-5spd/3.25 Trac-Loc
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #15
Getter-Done
Senior Member
 
Getter-Done's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TN.
Posts: 3,192
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
MDFarms, I started down the same path as you. In the end I decided to just buy a new short Fleetwood bed kit from SOKY. I wanted a metal bed and the was a grand and my tailgate was rusted out so another 400 which got me to 1400. Add to that the cost of get the soda blasted I determined it wasn't worth it going that route.

If you check out my thread: "Got a bed kit today and looking for some assembly tips"
In the thread I documented the metal gauges of the various parts. I also noted how the parts fit together and their quality. Sorry, don't know how to copy the link to paste it here.
Here is your link:https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...+assembly+tips











.
__________________
84 Chevy K-20
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build

paypal.me/Dwayne67CrewCab
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #16
rockyrivermark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fairview Park, Ohio
Posts: 931
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

I purchased new bedsides when I did my short bed conversion. Fit and metal thickness were just like oem from what I could tell. I would say they were the same gauge as originals.
certainly a cheaper option and less work I would think.
Mark
__________________
My build page
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=764662
My cabinet building site
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #17
MDFarms
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Posts: 76
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
I purchased new bedsides when I did my short bed conversion. Fit and metal thickness were just like oem from what I could tell. I would say they were the same gauge as originals.
certainly a cheaper option and less work I would think.
Mark
Thanks for input, this long box is in amazing condition. I would have to purchase the whole kit minus gate. Wood or steel? Wood is way cooler.but steel would be correct for a 1972
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #18
72c20customcamper
Senior Member
 
72c20customcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Catskill Mountains new york
Posts: 4,015
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
Thanks for input, this long box is in amazing condition. I would have to purchase the whole kit minus gate. Wood or steel? Wood is way cooler.but steel would be correct for a 1972
Wood was offered in 72 short wide beds also. Wood was painted body color
__________________
Mark
72 c20 custom camper Husky edition,66 SS396 Chevelle 1964 Hawk, 63 Avanti,62 lark
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #19
tutone
Registered User
 
tutone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: hickory, ky
Posts: 464
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

It is a pretty big job, but there are a lot of little tricks to keep it all gapped properly. A'67 long bed and short bed did not have curved wheel wells. I do not know if that was an add-on in design when they added marker lights in 68 or not. I've lucked up on a factory short bed for my current project, so It won't be an issue. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Attached Images
 
__________________
:My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=807535
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:29 AM   #20
Ben IV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glenpool OK
Posts: 238
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

The trucks I've seen with aftermarket bedsides have a mismatch in the body line above the taillight where it meets the tailgate.

I cut my bedsides down. Pictures in my build thread.
__________________
70 GMC custom short bed conversion
69 GMC panel truck
Ben IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #21
rockyrivermark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fairview Park, Ohio
Posts: 931
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

My bedsides for real nice and body lines were spot on.
There are several venders out there but I’m not sure how many different manufactures.
Mine where “red dot”. At least that’s what was on the box.
Mark
__________________
My build page
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=764662
My cabinet building site
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #22
xs-cash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Posts: 57
Re: Cutting Long Bed to Short Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
It's not a matter of saving stake pockets, it's a matter or remembering to eliminate the middle ones from a long bed. I agree most do the stake pockets correctly by eliminating the middle ones, but the point is that it's additional work that folks don't always consider. Not much, but adds up. As for the wheel openings, the difference is in the forward lower edge of the opening. It's not "that" noticeable, but now that you've seen it, you won't be able to keep yourself from looking at it swb is a sharp point, lwb is curved.
Wow ! I didnít know that !
xs-cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com