The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 73-87

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Vinyl Dye how to.

There have been a few posts recently on how to dye your dash pad or door panels. I thought a detailed step by step post would help answer some of your questions.

To plan your dye job, you must first determine how you are going apply the dye. If you have access to a compressor and a paint gun this is the best way to go if you plan to dye all your interior pieces. If not, don't worry. You can still get quality results with spray cans "if" you take the time to prep everything correctly.

Regardless of how you apply the dye, you will need the vinyl dye, and vinyl prep that goes on before the dye.

Before you start the tear down, you should examine all your existing trim pieces. Are they worth dying, or should they be replaced? If they are cracked, now is the time to find replacement pieces. If your door panels are extremely dried out and have started to deteriorate, then consider replacing them as well. The dye will not hide detoriated spots or scratches on the panel.

Is your dash pad cracked? What about your armrest pads? Are they curled up and worn out. You better replace them too if you want this job to come out looking good. Once all this is decided, it's time to move on.

Step #1. The dirty work begins. Remove everything that you want to dye from your truck. It can be done while still installed, but it will make a big mess so take the time to pull everything out now. Put the screws in a zip lock bag and tag it so you remember where they go. Take your time so you don't cause any damage when removing trim pieces and door panels.

Step #2. This step may be skipped if you don't have pieces that have previously been dyed. If any piece has been dyed before it is best to strip the old dye off. I found the best way to do this is with cheap lacquer thinner and paper towels. I suggest using gloves that are chemical proof as well. Cheap lacquer thinner is great for removing old dye, as well as layers of skin from your hands. Trust me on this one.

Step #3. This is the most important step to achieve quality results. Every inch of every piece should be thoroughly cleaned. Even if you have stripped them with lacquer thinner, I would still clean them with soapy water. If they have any trace of vinyl dressing on them this is "extremely" important.

Make a solution of dishwashing soap and water. It's a good idea to add a small amount of ammonia or Mr. Clean to the water to help strip the vinyl dressing and oil that the plastic emits as it ages is. Wash every piece front and back with this solution, then rinse with clean water. Now repeat this process again.

Once you have repeated the process dry the parts completely. Make sure that there is no moisture left anywhere on the panels. If you can’t blow them dry with compressed air, it might be best to set them in the sun, or cover them and let them air dry over night.

Step #4. Prep your pieces with vinyl prep. Read the instructions and follow them closely. Some preps are designed to dry completely before the dye is applied, and some suggest you prep then apply the dye right away. Make sure you read the instructions and follow them closely.

Step #5. This is the fun part. You finally get to see all your hard work pay off. Don’t rush this step. Take your time and put on nice even coats. Again, read the instructions and follow them closely. If you are using a spray gun, once you get everything covered completely you will finish with a final overlap coat to make sure you don’t have any dry spots or stripping.

If you are using spray cans, save a fresh can to give everything a final coat. This will ensure that everything is the same color as well as preventing any dry spots or stripping.

If you are using a spray gun, check with your local automotive paint store for the brand that they carry. They can set you up with the correct prep and dye. If you are going to use spray cans, the best brand is SEMS. It can be bought through Eastwood, or ordered online from many supply companies. If you have taken your time and done this correctly, the end results should like the pics I have posted below.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 08-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here are before and after pics of the door panels I bought at a swap meet. In the first pic the panels don't look too bad, but the dye was really scratched up and peeling in places...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

This is after 30-40 minutes of stripping all the old dye off...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here is a close up of the new armrest pads installed...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Now is a good time to add power windows and locks if you don't already have them....
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

These aren't the greatest pics, but It's the best shot I have of all the interior pieces after they were dyed...
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Another view....
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
...where's the best place online to get the sems?...i just bought some duplicolor spray can vinyl paint at advance auto with some adesive promotor...is this worth a crap?
Try Google and you will get a ton of hits for SEMS.
Duplicolor makes some great product, as for their vinyl dye I can't say for sure. I have never used it, so I can't offer any advice there.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
squint

I just want to add a note here.. I used to be a paint sprayer and I have used many many different chemicals..

When you get to the stripping stage make sure you use something weak, like Xilene or basic thinner.

Do not use a strong industrial strength thinner/stripper on your vinal/plastic.. it will eat/melt it..
Closed Thread