The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
hillbean

Blue Smoke Please help

Hey everyone I have a SBC that just started spouting blue smoke out of the Passenger side. I have not experienced any loss of power or loss of oil pressure. I am not losing oil yet but it just started today. I am going to start with a compression test to rule out rings. My question is how can I check the valve guide seals without tearing the engine down. My other question is I read that the Vacuum modulator can go bad and cause transmission fluid to be sucked into the intake. How can I test the transmission vacuum modulator. Any other tips or ideas are appreciated thank you for your time.
hillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Blue Smoke Please help

You cant really check the valve seals. AS for the modulator. Just pull the hose off of it. If there is trans fluid in the hose the modulator is bad. Valve seals generally burn oil at startup and until the engine is warm. It wont be evident going down the road.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
franken

A puff of blue smoke at startup is an indication that valve seals leak. Checking compression, noting the result, shooting some oil in the cylinder, checking again and comparing results can give an indication of ring sealing.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
geezer#99

If it's blowing blue constantly while driving on one side only, you gotta suspect the intake gasket has blown out on that side. On the underside. The vacuum pulls oil into the intake valves.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote