The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2021, 01:37 AM   #26
daveshilling

Re: Lost 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2020 View Post
The GMC body panels would have been transferred to my project.
I think this is one of those rare finds that needs the full treatment!
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #27
vics stuff

Quote:
I already have more in my Hot Rod than I will ever get back but I did not expect to get my money back.
Happiness and Hot Rods cost money
I have to agree with 100%
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:20 AM   #28
vintovka

Quote:
I already have more in my Hot Rod than I will ever get back but I did not expect to get my money back.
Happiness and Hot Rods cost money
I fully agree, but the wheels on the economy (an everything else) have come off making even our hobby difficult if not approaching impossible. Was asked to help plan the restoration of a 55 first series truck for a friend who admired my 54. I tried to get parts lined up but not only were they 2x+ budget but prices wern't guaranteed on many of them. Not sure where this hobby is going.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #29
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I fully agree, but the wheels on the economy (an everything else) have come off making even our hobby difficult if not approaching impossible. Was asked to help plan the restoration of a 55 first series truck for a friend who admired my 54. I tried to get parts lined up but not only were they 2x+ budget but prices wern't guaranteed on many of them. Not sure where this hobby is going.
I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want a shop to do a restoration for you using repops, then you're 100% going to lose money.

If you are dragging a truck out of a field, searching Craigslist for parts, and adapting things from wrecking yards, then you might break even or even make money. I promise that many people are buying old cars and trucks, fixing them up, and selling them for a profit. Some people just want to get in and turn the key, not a wrench.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #30
my56chevytruck

Quote:

WOW, I think you were very generous, but like OGRE said, you've got only so much time and I'm done. How's the frame??
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #31
MD2020

I don't know
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #32
vintovka

If potting soil and stuff is included it might wind up as a planter? Made one last attempt to price out parts for friends 55 first build and got a real shock. Loaded stuff into "cart" on some well know parts places and they either upped the price or went the "backorder" route before we had a chance to order. Won't be buying from places like Summit anymore as they are outrageously expensive and their shipping is completely unreliable. Spent 62 minutes on hold with Summit "Customer Service" and gave up. Think project is on hold for the duration.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:42 PM   #33
Blue GMC

Man I love the look of that one as it is. Hate to say it but if it was as solid and complete as it looks in the pics would have gone higher and kept the patina look and drove the wheels off it
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #34
LEEVON

That's a sweet find, I'd give $5k and still feel good about it...regardless I hope you can make a deal with them, or at the very least it doesn't rot for another 30 years.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #35
vintovka

Guess final note on friends planned 55 first is in. Projected cost of labor and materials was $18K in mid 2020. Todays estimate (assuming parts are even available) is now well over 30K and climbing. If I was starting my personal project now i could not come close to finishing. Seems the US is in full reverse and accelerating. I have advised him to part what he has out and look for a reasonable completed AD if that is still possible.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #36
Dan in Pasadena

Each of our trucks is worth whatever some individual is willing to pay. A few are wealthy enough to pay almost anything asked if they want it bad enough - witness auctions like Barrett Jackson, Sotheby's, etc.

Other times a guy can't get a reasonable price for his truck because the people that have seen it just don't have the money to make a competitive offer.

As for getting out of it what you put into it? That is laughable. I'd venture to say NO ONE gets the dollars they have into theirs. Only if they did all the work themselves and then that entirely discounts labor hours. If they day comes I decide to sell mine it'll almost surely be at a "loss" but a loss I'm willing to take to move on to something else.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:00 PM   #37
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
As for getting out of it what you put into it? That is laughable. I'd venture to say NO ONE gets the dollars they have into theirs. Only if they did all the work themselves and then that entirely discounts labor hours. If they day comes I decide to sell mine it'll almost surely be at a "loss" but a loss I'm willing to take to move on to something else.
Now its not about "getting what you put into it", its rapidly rising cost keeping many from even playing the game Add in rising costs like shipping sales tax and its not looking good for any future endeavor.