The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Por 15 need help

Doing frame off on the K5 - everything besides the axles is getting powdercoated - didn't want to do the axle because I didn't want to pull the gear set out ( have no clue how to reset up).

Anyhow - full axle tear down so decided to paint with POR 15 - cleaned everything with their degreaser/clean - then metal prepped

coated first coat with POR 15 rust preventer then went over that with the POR high build primer - to flatten out some of the brush marks left from the first coat - it worked and looks good

Issue - today went to put their TOP COAT on but its so thick - consistency was between a tar and a thick latex paint. Couldn't get the paint to lay flat and not have runs in it. Looked horrible so used Acetone to remove what I could.

Then tried to thin it with Xylene - that thinned it but then it wouldn't cover and still had tons of runs in it.

At this point I want to throw that stuff away and go a different route on the top coat

WAHT CAN I DO ....

thanks guys

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote