The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Por 15 need help

Doing frame off on the K5 - everything besides the axles is getting powdercoated - didn't want to do the axle because I didn't want to pull the gear set out ( have no clue how to reset up).

Anyhow - full axle tear down so decided to paint with POR 15 - cleaned everything with their degreaser/clean - then metal prepped

coated first coat with POR 15 rust preventer then went over that with the POR high build primer - to flatten out some of the brush marks left from the first coat - it worked and looks good

Issue - today went to put their TOP COAT on but its so thick - consistency was between a tar and a thick latex paint. Couldn't get the paint to lay flat and not have runs in it. Looked horrible so used Acetone to remove what I could.

Then tried to thin it with Xylene - that thinned it but then it wouldn't cover and still had tons of runs in it.

At this point I want to throw that stuff away and go a different route on the top coat

WAHT CAN I DO ....

thanks guys

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
Mr_Rich

Re: Por 15 need help

I've used a lot of POR15 on my vehicles. I used mostly chassis coat and I remember discussing the product with someone at the paint shop that POR15 was critical in regards to the solvents used with. I thinned with lacquer thinner and was able to get finishes comparable to powder coating, IMO. It all depended on time and labor whether I used POR15 or powdercoat. I was cautioned that some solvents wouldn't allow the POR15 to harden and would actually make the finish "gummy". You might need to experiment what works best before you commit to the final finish.
I finished the rad support on my truck with POR15. I used almost a feather coat on the final finish; few to no runs.
Attached Images

1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C

Last edited by Mr_Rich; 12-24-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
Doing frame off on the K5 - everything besides the axles is getting powdercoated - didn't want to do the axle because I didn't want to pull the gear set out ( have no clue how to reset up).

Anyhow - full axle tear down so decided to paint with POR 15 - cleaned everything with their degreaser/clean - then metal prepped

coated first coat with POR 15 rust preventer then went over that with the POR high build primer - to flatten out some of the brush marks left from the first coat - it worked and looks good

Issue - today went to put their TOP COAT on but its so thick - consistency was between a tar and a thick latex paint. Couldn't get the paint to lay flat and not have runs in it. Looked horrible so used Acetone to remove what I could.

Then tried to thin it with Xylene - that thinned it but then it wouldn't cover and still had tons of runs in it.

At this point I want to throw that stuff away and go a different route on the top coat

WAHT CAN I DO ....

thanks guys
I wrote the original Tip Sheet for that product 33 years ago. Suggestions, that product is a moisture cured urethane. Urethane reducer is the proper thinner. lacquer thinner will retard the cure and in some cases an oily film wiil develope.When brushing and brush marks appear use a dry sponge brush to swipe them out. These type of pants work best with multiple thin coats. The silver will provide you with more protection than the clear or the black the aluminum pigment is what cuts off the oxygen. To rectify your problem sand it down with 220 , wipe it down with the appropriate thinner and then top coat it. It looks like you thinned the topcoat too far for it to be of any use. I hope this helps .
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #4
6600DURAMAX

I was using a brush maybe that is my biggest issue, don't have the gun to spray at this point.....

The base coat is hard as a rock ... now I just need to figure out how to top coat it.

Any quality spray cans that will adhere to the POR??

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:17 AM   #5
lupo

The only thing you can do with it is to scuff it, wipe it down with thinner and recoat it. Spray can paint is usually lacquer which is not the greatest. you may want to consider a bed liner type product. They have spray cans in urethane you puncture the bottom and the hardener added to the paint. When you work with urethane and epoxies timing is crucial. These systems harden and they are solvent proof so the only bond is by for a mechanical adhesion. P.m. me with your name and address what do you want Satin or gloss black and I'll send you a can of ag111 Merry Christmas
Old 12-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

The top coat shouldn't be thick as tar. Was the can opened at one time ? Moisture in the air can make it thicken in the can . When I use it I put some in a small Mason jar ,just enough to do a coat or two . I try not to open the original package alot or let it sit opened .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
I was using a brush maybe that is my biggest issue, don't have the gun to spray at this point.....

The base coat is hard as a rock ... now I just need to figure out how to top coat it.

Any quality spray cans that will adhere to the POR??
You could have a 2k black paint put in spray cans from a local paint supply or online once its activated use the whole can .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #8
Louisvillekytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
The top coat shouldn't be thick as tar. Was the can opened at one time ? Moisture in the air can make it thicken in the can . When I use it I put some in a small Mason jar ,just enough to do a coat or two . I try not to open the original package alot or let it sit opened .
X2 listen to mark
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
lupo

Let's get some facts first. I have been involved moisture cured urethanes for over 30 years. Clear moisture cured urethane is used as a sealer for concrete floors. When you add black pigment you have black concrete sealer. When Mobay chemical developed Bridge primer the only color it was available then was silver. Engineers at Mobay figured out if they could cut off moisture and oxygen you could not create rust. And if it was applied in layers over the rust the rust could not continue. Resin which is moisture activated it's completely waterproof I will suck the water right out of the substrate. By adding aluminum flake or matacious iron oxide was used to cut off the oxygen. When I asked their tech department about the black thier response was' it's silver like it or lump it;! So when you open up a can of black moisture cure urethane and paint your chassis this is not the way the system was designed. the name of this system is called Three Coat Polyurethane System consists of two coats of aluminum pigmented silver primer And a color coat. To manufacture this primer the humidity cannot be above 60% or you will wind up with Jello a week later. To give you a comparison the Three coat polyurethane system will do 14000 hours of salt fog testing Zinc phosphate epoxy primer will to do around 700 hours. Industrial Zinc-rich primer epoxy 3000 hours. There are new epoxies coming out of Europe that utilize Zinc power and glass spheres or Mica flakes that cut off the oxygen to improve corrosion performance I cannot believe how many auto restoration supply companies ,in the last 30 years, sell black moisture cured as a permanent rust sealer.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Let's get some facts first. I have been involved moisture cured urethanes for over 30 years. Clear moisture cured urethane is used as a sealer for concrete floors. When you add black pigment you have black concrete sealer. When Mobay chemical developed Bridge primer the only color it was available then was silver. Engineers at Mobay figured out if they could cut off moisture and oxygen you could not create rust. And if it was applied in layers over the rust the rust could not continue. Resin which is moisture activated it's completely waterproof I will suck the water right out of the substrate. By adding aluminum flake or matacious iron oxide was used to cut off the oxygen. When I asked their tech department about the black thier response was' it's silver like it or lump it;! So when you open up a can of black moisture cure urethane and paint your chassis this is not the way the system was designed. the name of this system is called Three Coat Polyurethane System consists of two coats of aluminum pigmented silver primer And a color coat. To manufacture this primer the humidity cannot be above 60% or you will wind up with Jello a week later. To give you a comparison the Three coat polyurethane system will do 14000 hours of salt fog testing Zinc phosphate epoxy primer will to do around 700 hours. Industrial Zinc-rich primer epoxy 3000 hours. There are new epoxies coming out of Europe that utilize Zinc power and glass spheres or Mica flakes that cut off the oxygen to improve corrosion performance I cannot believe how many auto restoration supply companies ,in the last 30 years, sell black moisture cured as a permanent rust sealer.
Reason I use it isit takes much more abuse than regular paint . I rarely put it on rusted metal mostly sandblasted steel . Overkill ? Probably ,good old rustoleum would probably last just as long specially because I dont drive in snow salt roads with my old vehicles. My lark I blasted the frame epoxy prime and PPG DCC and it still looks new after 22 years
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
lupo

Hello custom camper and fellow Avanti owner. Happy New Year. With all the conflicting information out there it's hard to make an intelligent decision on what paint to use on what anymore. I post this information , hopefully , to educate others. At the moment the paint industry is in turmoil. There's a shortage of epoxy resin and price of epoxy resin has quadrupled. There is also a shortage of help in the factories to produce these products ,which results in extended wait times. Anyway good luck with your projects and the best for the coming year
Old 01-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #12
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
Hello custom camper and fellow Avanti owner. Happy New Year. With all the conflicting information out there it's hard to make an intelligent decision on what paint to use on what anymore. I post this information , hopefully , to educate others. At the moment the paint industry is in turmoil. There's a shortage of epoxy resin and price of epoxy resin has quadrupled. There is also a shortage of help in the factories to produce these products ,which results in extended wait times. Anyway good luck with your projects and the best for the coming year
Like to see your Avanti mine is a 63 survivor with 67k miles . We bought it in the mid 80s guy worked nights drove it from Centereach Long Island to Manhatten only in nice weather . Car was in his garage all day and in the parking garage at work. So even the dash is original and no cracks . Only outside on his days off.

He last used the car early 70s and stored parked it in the garage needless to say we had to rebuild the brakes but nothing else .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #13
lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Like to see your Avanti mine is a 63 survivor with 67k miles . We bought it in the mid 80s guy worked nights drove it from Centereach Long Island to Manhatten only in nice weather . Car was in his garage all day and in the parking garage at work. So even the dash is original and no cracks . Only outside on his days off.

He last used the car early 70s and stored parked it in the garage needless to say we had to rebuild the brakes but nothing else .
This Avanti had a harder life than yours did. It lived its life in north Jersey for 15 years before I got it. I had to rebuild the chassis because it had sections that were rotted out and was bent. I’ve driven this car since 1985 and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Painted it twice, upholstered it once, and replaced the engine and trans. Check out the headlights. Sometimes I drink too much. Good luck and happy motoring!
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #14
72c20customcamper

Nice . Headlights are a bit unusual I see some Avanti II cues on the car . Side markers (AMC) and the rearview mirrors high back buckets interior rear view mirror mounted high . Space between the wheel well and top of fender looks thicker . May be the picture though on that What year?
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 01-07-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #15
lupo

You've got a good eye. This car is a 1970 Avanti 11. In 1985 I bought an R1 Avanti and sold it two years later. 1986 I bought this one. I plan on putting the original headlights back this winter.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #16
72c20customcamper

My uncle was a Studebaker dealer then AMC and finally jeep till 1980 . So I grew up around them
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #17
lupo

I remember the 69 AMX love to get my hands on one . There was one in town that used to smoke just about everything when I was in the army my friend had a 396 Chevelle one night two MPs in the Jeep chased us it looked like an episode of the Keystone Cops after we were in the barracks for a half an hour they showed up. They knew where we lived
You have a nice collection

Last edited by lupo; 01-07-2022 at 08:07 PM.