The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Matt1965

Crown vic ideas and info

Hi there I am just wondering if anyone out there has any info on swapping the crown vic front k member on 68 chevy pick up. I have found some info and undestand its not popular but am curious if anyone has tried it with success. Looking for pictures and info.
Matt1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Crown vic ideas and info

I have done it on a F100, and it works good. Although a Jag front crossmember makes a equally attractive item depending on your goals.

If I wanted a handling truck that could still be a truck the CV is it. If I wanted a slammed truck to profile. The Jag makes good sense sense it being steel offer fabrication advantages.

On a Chevy. Honestly it leaves a few things to be desired on a effort vs outcomes ratio.

Both are capable of the same ride height.

Both are capable of handling roughly the same loads. Or what ever your C10 can do legally.

Both can have the same handling outcomes. The C10 is bolt on, and the CV requires welding.

Both have the same or similar brake outcomes. The C10 is bolt on, but the CV is easy enough.

The CV has a good rack, but the C10 cab have one too.

If I was building a near race car. I would choose the CV. If I was building a street bomber I would keep it C10.

Not to say if you had a CV I would not use its full suspension or if i got it stupid cheap. I can't speak for you budget or skill levels.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
Matt1965

thanks for the reply. I got the cv front end for free and my main goal is to remove weight from the front end and have r/p steering. the truck is mostly just a weekend warrior.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Then it will work well for that.

Most F100's use the factory through bolts for the crossmember, but you can use shorter bolts, and weld the supports for the towers on if needed.

On the C10 the bolt holes I believe are out side the frame width. So angle iron with gussets is how I believe they overcame that issue.

There's a couple of builds with C10's and CV suspension. I have seen on the internet, and 1 in person. Just the picture quality is lacking to back engineer the build. Like people can with Ford.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:31 PM   #5
Matt1965

Yah there's definetly a few pictures out there but not to many of the finished product. Another option I saw on one was the cross member had 5 inches removed from the center but to look at it I think the bolt holes still would be just barely under the frame but maybe not enough to drill through the frame and use them.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
whitedog76

These guys will build you a crossmember to fit your frame and use your Crown Vic equipment.

https://team321.com/about/
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
These guys will build you a crossmember to fit your frame and use your Crown Vic equipment.

https://team321.com/about/
I was looking at those guys and they're rear end IRS, sure like all the work they put into that, almost went that way myself.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote