The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
kev2809
low n' slo

Paddle Valves vs Electric Valves

How many of you guys run paddle Valves on your air ride? I have 8 Valves and am redoing my suspension and wondering if I should put the electrics back in or go with some paddle valves for something more simpler.

mine are the old style, not a valve box like the modern ones

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Paddle Valves vs Electric Valves

I've only used manual paddle valves because I couldn't afford the high-end height management set-up & never cared for the solenoid valve block set-ups (saw way too many issues w/electronic valves from moisture/debris).

My old buddy N2Billet has switched back to manual set-ups on his last few personal builds as well for the simplicity. We discussed this @ GoodGuys Ft.Worth last weekend.

But... I'm also a 'set-it & forget-it' guy. That was another thing I saw @ that show (and other places/gatherings). More than a couple guys constantly adjusting their ride height as they would creep in/out of the lots. I just don't get into that. Raise it up to ride height & drop it down when parked. I don't even air my dually out most of the time when parked. Usually it's just when it gets parked for security reasons (extended /overnight periods).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-20-2022 at 04:25 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:51 PM   #3
kev2809
low n' slo

thats exactly my reasoning. when i first bagged it, it was fun doing side to side and playing around....but i was 24 then lol. at 37 i dont care...i just want to air it up to drive, lay it out to park.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 03-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
blazer2007

I was thinking of switching awhile back but heard complaints of bad switches and other problems like leaking. Is there a good brand of switch now to use.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
I was thinking of switching awhile back but heard complaints of bad switches and other problems like leaking. Is there a good brand of switch now to use.
IDK, I've never used electronic switches or valves. My friends have used Ridetech's 'Big Red' valves & then went to Accuair set-ups when they took over the market for high-end stuff. IDK who the go-to players are now. I believe Arnott bought the Accuair 'brand' after they folded.

There can be issues w/the electronics for any solenoid/electric switch but when isn't there a possibility for electronic parts to fail when subjected to moisture?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
are you talking about bad manual valves? I did a search on here and not sure if the vendors from then are still selling..I didn't see any. but also there is a company that makes a manual valve block.

http://www.airejax.com/four-play/

apparently they used to be called "Little Larry" valves? not too sure on them though. I was wanting something I can use my 3/8" air line with

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 03-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
blazer2007

yes I was talking about bad manual valves. Those Little Larry,s came up often and some reports claimed they would fail after awhile and other similar ones too .Mind you this was probably 2 yrs ago or so. I,m wanting to get rid of all these wires and valves.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
are you talking about bad manual valves? I did a search on here and not sure if the vendors from then are still selling..I didn't see any. but also there is a company that makes a manual valve block.

http://www.airejax.com/four-play/

apparently they used to be called "Little Larry" valves? not too sure on them though. I was wanting something I can use my 3/8" air line with
That,s a nice block but not worth the $600.00 to get here to Can. Times the American price by 2 usually is what it ends up being in Canuck bucks
Old 03-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
That,s a nice block but not worth the $600.00 to get here to Can. Times the American price by 2 usually is what it ends up being in Canuck bucks
Boris (way2lo2) @ Street Machinery has a kit & @ one time sold pieces/parts for the DIY guy....

https://streetmachinery.com/parts-ki...air-management

I don't care for those dash mounted panel set-ups so mine is the same basic air management arrangement but w/a different layout. My gauges are hidden where the ashtray used to be. My switches (paddle vales) are tucked out of sight but within easy reach. It takes more airline & routing time but everything is out of view when looking into the interior.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
kev2809
low n' slo

those are great prices too...especially compared to what I posted. I've seen a video of the little larrys/four play box and it airs up and down way faster than I thought...seems perfect. I heard the old DLOE valves were fast too but can't find them for sale...and I think they were able to use 3/8 line too. I wanna say the air up time was 5-10 seconds..same for the drop.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 03-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
those are great prices too...especially compared to what I posted. I've seen a video of the little larrys/four play box and it airs up and down way faster than I thought...seems perfect. I heard the old DLOE valves were fast too but can't find them for sale...and I think they were able to use 3/8 line too. I wanna say the air up time was 5-10 seconds..same for the drop.
I believe it's possible that the early Little-Larrys set-ups allowed using 3/8 line. I know of more than one guy (board member) that used them & wasn't happy though as there were leak issues. The DLOE/nickel plated 'toggle' style valves are rebuildable but I recall them using 1/8" npt fittings which would likely be 1/4" line though. A couple of the air-ride outfits out there offer them.

The paddle valve style I linked are 1/4" only so the flow is limited. But, we're still talking 'seconds' to raise/lower to/from ride height so it's just not instant up/down like larger diameter lines allow.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #12
kev2809
low n' slo

this is the video showing the little larrys

https://youtu.be/dkXWgdmTCpw

if I could find a toggle switch like the DLOE ones that accepted bigger lines I would get those. I think the reason these have leak issues is because it's a solid box with o rings that fail...but they are serviceable.

SCOTI, do you have a clip of yours going up and down?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 03-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #13
tinydb84

I bought the valves that DLOE was selling. When it came time to install them I just couldnt justify drilling all the necessary holes and connecting all the lines. I bought the Air Lift Performance 3P. One line to each hole. It was super nice and easy to install. My back passenger bag will leak down over the course of a month if I dont drive it or turn the key. It was pricey (might be the most expensive thing on my truck) but I dont regret it one bit.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #14
kev2809
low n' slo

here's a link to a company selling DLOE valves

https://switchsuspension.com/manual-...widget-wrapper

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__