The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
TheRedRooster

Patina Paint Job?

Anyone know the basics of a Patina paint job? Know where I can find info on this? Anyone have pictures of our trucks with this paint job?
TheRedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
saulgoode

Why would you want to fake rust or an old paint job?
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
TheRedRooster

I got my reasons
Old 06-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
thecatseye66
'68 C-20 396 CST CC

I guess if you live in "the bowels of Los Angeles" you would need it to blend, huh?
thecatseye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
TheRedRooster

Exactly..... I appreciate the critiques and opinions, but I am really just looking for info. Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
saulgoode

If you are thinking about doing the “old school” rat rod thing I would really really really
like to try and talk you out of it. But, I have seen some people who try and emulate the look by laying a lighter color base coat then with a darker flattened topcoat over, then you could wet sand the topcoat so the lighter shows through. That would give the appearance of an older paint job that has faded and worn through. If you are talking about an all over rust look I have no idea, but I’ve seen people make model cars and reproduce the look, you may try that as a source and adapt it to a larger scale.

Saulgoode
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

A lot of it depends on what you are starting with. If you have a pic of what your starting with we might be able to offer more advice. Here's a pic for ya....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
TheRedRooster

Not really much of a rat rod fan but I did want the worn in look. Im going to be droping in a 383 engine and really adding some power to my truck and I wanted to hide that, not only to deter thives but to hide the fact that it could probably smoke many of those honda racer rockets and alot of the newer trucks. I want to catch them with a sneaky left hook to the body. My truck is primer grey right know so I can expirament with a few paint jobs. Im not all that concerned with looks but then again I dont want it to look like crap, just a little worn in. I figure Ill try a few expiraments on some sheet metal scraps and take it from there. I was just looking for basic techniques/ a base to get me started. thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Here's a novel idea guys ... if you are posting to offer unwanted opinions ... DON'T!

Rooster didn't ask for opinions of whether YOU like the look or not ... he asked a "how to" question ... either answer the question with answers of HOW to do something ... or move along.

Regardless of whether you like the look or not., there are others here that would also like to know how this look is achieved.

Last edited by Shane; 06-21-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #10
cdowns

6' natural bristle brush and some cheap laytex house paint peach or pink are good colors just brush it onthick let it dry then use a buffer with coarse rubbing compound and buff for a desired look you can get lookin like fred sanfords truck in a weekend
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #11
>X<
registered IWATA user

i would just strip the truck to bare metal and spray some OMNI clearcoat over the whole thing, the clearcoat will fail and the whole truck will rust slowly.

there was an article a month or so back in CLASSIC TRUCKS about this, they had a bunch of pictures

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
GMC1tondually4dr

Try mixing some primer in with the color.
That will give you a flat, faded look.

Try variation on that idea.

Spray it with lacquer, dry, just buff the bottom sections.

Use your imagination.

When I lived in San Diego, to try to match the faded look , I would add a little more silver or gray to the top surfaces, kind of like the sun had eaten at the paint.

Experiment! You can't go wrong with a used, faded, clapped out look.

Spray dry and at higher pressure.

A little red oxide primer just splattered on around the lower edges could look like rust.

Let me drive your vehicle for one winter here in the Mpls./St Paul area would do it for sure

Just my .02

CCDually

Last edited by GMC1tondually4dr; 06-22-2005 at 12:14 AM.
GMC1tondually4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 AM   #13
TheRedRooster

Thanks everybody, thats a good foundation to start on. If anyones got anymore tips I sure would like to hear them. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #14
Russell
Professional Grade

Bring it up to Canada for a year -- She'll leave lookin like she is 40 years old
Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

of subject but a funny story
My buddies’ wife worked in the film equipment rental business. When ever there were making a local movie and needed some cars from different eras, she would let us know and we would rent our vehicles out for the actors to drive in the scenes or for back drops.
My buddy rented out his mint 59 caddy and they painted it with some water based paints to make it look like an old rusty piece of crap. The car sat in front of a store front that was made to look like a sports bar. One night some drunk pulls up thinking it was a real bar and smashed into the caddy. Cost the film company about 12,000 to fix it. This was about 20 years ago in a Richard Dryphus movie about a horse racing and betting.

If the sleeper look is really what you want, diffrent faded panel colors is the way to go. If you just want to give it that older vehicle look, dont spray it a modern color, stick with factory tones for that era or older and low luster finishes. No shinny clear coats. Post some pics of when its done.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Last edited by jamis; 06-22-2005 at 02:50 PM.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #16
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I don't know the issue, but last year in the magazine "Rod & Custom", they did a nice How To on creating the Patina look on a car. I don't have those mags, but at least it is a lead for you.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
matthufham

paint it, take a 100 grit in 1 hand, and sand away.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #18
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

StreetRodder

Street Rodder had a good article on this in thier November 2003 issue (yes I went digging through to find it haha.

It's on page 74 and the title of the article is "Got Rust" - A Quick Look At How It's Done. They show how a '32 Ford Pickup was Patina Painted.

Basically they Painted certain areas on the truck with a "rusty red primer" - High Wear/Fade areas (i.e. Rocker, Doors- where your arms would rest, cowl, Top Edges of the fenders, Bed, etc. etc. etc.) This was after they primed it with a regular grey primer that they sprayed selected areas with the rusty red.

Then after letting it dry over nite they gave it a very light scuff and sprayed it with John Deere Blitz Black (not primer - cause it won't fight corrosion) I guess you could use any Flat Black Paint (Enamel Based) Napa Also has a commercial Coatings I think it is part # 6036 but i'm not sure. It is a Flat Black Enamel Single stage.

They let that dry over night. They used some maroon scratch/scotch bright pads to scuff up the black and then *Brush Painted* the entire truck with "1-shot Sign Painters Enamel Paint" Thinned with Mineral Spirits to a "watery type consistancy" and they said as far as the brushing...the more the better. they used 2" wide brushes. (and they used a Blueish Grey color - similar to grey primer) They also suggested adding a little bit of flattening agent to the paint.

Let that dry overnight.
Then they started scuffing it with the maroon pads again... and made sure to get down the the "rusty red" primer in the spots that they put it...just enough to have the red "peeking" through.

THey got really creative next and airbrushed rust stains and oxidation stains under Bolts, Door Handles, Louvers etc.

If you can get a copy of this article that would be a great place to start. they still might have back issues of it available.

StreetRodder: November 2003 and there is a picture of the truck on the top right corner of the cover and a Blown MOON 6x2 97s EFI Hemi on the front as well.

It is a really cool article and I think that it would be a fun thing to try to do - especially to make a "sleeper" as your thinking about doing.

Hope this helps
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered

Last edited by arkracing; 06-22-2005 at 08:35 PM.
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by >X<
there was an article a month or so back in CLASSIC TRUCKS about this, they had a bunch of pictures

I don't know if this is the one that you were thinking about but on page 51 on the February 2005 Issue they have a Patina Painted '52 Ford F-1
(Please don't flame me for the 2 Fords in the last 2 posts. Keep in mind - both the '32 and the '52 were SB Chevy Powered.

The aretical doesn't go into as much detail as the one on the '32 but basically they:
Sprayed it with
1. Heavy Layers of Oxide Red Primer
2. Stock Green

Then
3. Brushed a Thick Layer of Flat black on the entire thing
Then
4. Sprayed a Blue Tinted Primer

Then I'm assuming scotch paded out areas of "high wear" and air brushed Rust spots on the truck.

The article also gives the impression that they mixed metal shavings from the shop floor into the tintable Blue Primer - but I highly Doubt that happend.

Also a pretty sweet looking "Fauxtina" truck

This issue also has an article starting on page 40 about some other trucks done like this. It doesn't really say how they did it ..just shows some pictures of them all done. Page 42 has a nice '59 Apachie with "Cooter's Garage" on the doors...
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #20
TheRedRooster

Wow, Thanks for the tips guys. Im going to try and find those issues @ the swap meet next time im there.
-The Red Rooster
Old 06-29-2005, 11:19 AM   #21
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
6' natural bristle brush and some cheap laytex house paint peach or pink are good colors just brush it onthick let it dry then use a buffer with coarse rubbing compound and buff for a desired look you can get lookin like fred sanfords truck in a weekend
How about using a coarse brush wheel? Will that work or do you still recomend Rubbing compund?
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #22
D Stroud

You mean I spent all this time and money to make my old cars look new.....and now you say theyre 'spose to look old.....

Last edited by D Stroud; 06-30-2005 at 12:52 PM.
D Stroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #23
mastercraftkpk

I have seen painters add a flattening agent to both their BC and CC to get the look that you are going for. This way, they got good protection from corrosion, but made it look faded.

If you do it "correctly" now, you have less work to re-do when you change your mind and want a high shine paint job later.

They are not "insurgents"...they're vermin, cowards, and terrorists.

Egon..." I think that they are more interested in my epipedimus."
mastercraftkpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 AM   #24
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

cool subject, im naive to this type of paint and would defintely love to see pics or pics of your project rooster as it comes together. thanks. great info guys.
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:39 AM   #25
rod1701

Re: Patina Paint Job?

Old, old thread I know. Several good and lots of bad videos on the technique. A straight, distressed car looks better than dented or banged up one.
1) Replace/repair panels.
2) sand 80-600
3) seal/prime
4) lay down a black under coat all over
5) I mixed a orange and black to make a red oxide color. Plan this out. Good/roof/trunk. Tips of fenders/drip rails, emblems, door handles or areas where rust might develop. Spray a medium coat.
6) paint top color another medium coat. Or thinner on the top panels, thicker on side panels where less sun would hit.
7) think about where you want rust or distressed spots to shine thru and go to work. Start with 120, and feather in age spots. If you sand thru, touch up with a spray can of red primer and feather out.

Look at cars like you’d and see where natural age is showing for more authentic effect.

Some people like to clear when they get the final result. Personally I used less expensive single stage paints, final sand with 2000, and polished it. The fading and chalkiness of the single stage stuff will start to look like like it’s fading and really old.

For the naysayers, sure I could spend $8-10k and get professional or bear show quality paint job or spend a few weekends, $500, and plenty of elbow grease to get a ride that gets appreciative glances, smiles, and thumbs up while driving a fun ride that I don’t really worry so much about shopping cart dings and Rock chips because they just add to the distress NG or be done.