The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2002, 09:25 AM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
rust inhibitor?

I'm in the process of switching my doors out... the ones on my truck are junk... with holes for speakers and cracked and dented... I have a pair of fairly solid doors off a 72. My plan is to fiberglass the bottom of the door where it is rusted. I noticed yesterday when I was stripping the worst one of the two... that the inside of the door as alot of surface rust.

Is there something I can spray in there to eliminate this rust? I then planned on spraying a rubberized undercoat or bedliner into the door...

If I have to go to alot of trouble and expense to do this... I'll just buy new door shells... I really think I can salvage these though.

Thanks
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

You could use Extend. It is made by Loctite and is sold under the Permatex and Duro brand names. You can by it in aerosol cans but the "brush on" works better. Put the "brush on" liquid in a squirt bottle or garden sprayer to apply to inside of door. It goes on clear but turns to a black primer as it converts the rust.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:29 AM   #3
hanssolo

Like Johhny sez- We were just talking about that the other day. After 24 hrs. you can spray undercoating on. Thats what I used after welding on door bottoms. Make sure drain holes are clear when done for Houston monsoons! I added 1/8" holes to what seemed low area of my door bottoms.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:41 PM   #4
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Thanks

I picked up something made by permatex.... not named extend.. but probably something relabeled for O'reilly's... it's a gray liquid... I will let ya'll know how it turns out.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote