The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
JC76

Paint Question

I am asking for some advice on type of paint and process to paint hood only on my 76 C10.

I painted this truck over 35 years ago when I was painting cars for a living. So I know how to paint but have not kept up on the products.

I painted this truck with lacquer but no clear coat. So most of the paint has survived very well and if you don't look too close it looks excellent. The hood however not so good. Cracks all over with rust stains.

So I stripped the hood to bare metal and plan to paint it solid white—same as the stock color used on the rest of the truck. (code 12 frost white).

I could paint it with lacquer pretending I'm back in the 70's but am not afraid to use newer products—just don't know what would be best. I just want the paint to match as well as possible to the rest of the truck.

I'm also on a budget as I actually plan to sell it soon after I get it looking better. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

JC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Paint Question

I know it is a lot of materials but after stripping epoxy prime high build prime then base coat clear coat. I see that you are new so welcome to the best truck site on the interweb thing. I use a lot of a product from PPG called Omni it will save you a ton of money I use mp175 epoxy and mh 172 to harden it and MP282 for high build and mh283 to activate the high build primer. I also use MR186 that is reducer that can be used from epoxy all the way to clear I use there a product called quick clear, MC270 it is dust free in just min. Now when you get the paint spring a few bucks more for Omni Plus[or is it pro] I cant ever remember but it as almost like the Deltron brand I can feel the difference in the can just shaking it.
I do own a body shop and I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of the high build primer, tons of the epoxy and lots of the omni system I have used it for maybe a touch close to 20 years now. Those numbers are all off the top of my head dont hold me responsible if one is wrong please. anything else I can help with I'd be glad to that square is pretty sharp. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:22 PM   #3
JC76

Thank you Jim! That is just what I was hoping for—an answer from someone who has experience like you. I will look those products up.

Is it reasonable to shoot this stuff in my garage?
Old 05-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #4
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC76 View Post
I am asking for some advice on type of paint and process to paint hood only on my 76 C10.

I stripped the hood to bare metal and plan to paint it solid white—same as the stock color used on the rest of the truck. (code 12 frost white).

I just want the paint to match as well as possible to the rest of the truck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Code 12 Frost White from any brand will not match because your truck has changed color in 35 years since you painted it... regardless of paint technology.

If you had taken your hood (before you stripped it) to a paint store, they could have custom tinted some paint for you. Now you'll need to take to them the gas cap door. If you remove the gas cap door, and hold it up to the top of your fender or the roof, you may see a color shift (or hopefully not).

Do not trust their camera to color match! Insist they "tint to match a spray out". It may cost you extra money, but if they do a good job, the paint they sell you will match the cowl and tops of the fenders... hopefully.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
JC76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Code 12 Frost White from any brand will not match because your truck has changed color in 35 years since you painted it... regardless of paint technology.

If you had taken your hood (before you stripped it) to a paint store, they could have custom tinted some paint for you. Now you'll need to take to them the gas cap door. If you remove the gas cap door, and hold it up to the top of your fender or the roof, you may see a color shift (or hopefully not).

Do not trust their camera to color match! Insist they "tint to match a spray out". It may cost you extra money, but if they do a good job, the paint they sell you will match the cowl and tops of the fenders... hopefully.
Unfortunately the hood didn't match the rest of the truck anyway. Though I painted the truck, my father-in-law bought and owned it for most of the 30 years. Not sure if he had the hood painted or maybe replaced it. I just know it was in way worse shape compared to the rest.

Gas cap is chrome aftermarket. The glove box is original color. So maybe if it matches the outside, I can take that in.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Keith Seymore

You are already way beyond me in terms of paint technology, but I offer this suggestion: what about not trying to match the white?

Painting the hood a complementary color, like the same gray as on the side (or the blue) might be in keeping with the theme and get you out of the color matching process.

Even flat black might give it a performance look and still avoid matching.

Just a thought -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #7
JC76

Keith, good idea. I had actually thought of that. But I also am a stickler on design and want to keep it as clean and simple as possible. I had also though of wrapping it—but it still needed paint because of the rust.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:17 AM   #8
hugger6933

It is very reasonable to think you can shoot that in your garage, the base coats and primer coats if they get anything in them you can rub it out with a scotchbrite pad and that MC 270 is called Quick Clear because it becomes dust free in like 5 min
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

for being a paint design in the 70s, that design and color combo looks good!

it even looks good for 2022

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote