The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
Beach-Burban

Slow Progress is better than No Progress.

I've been waiting on components for two planned upgrades: #1 is a fuel injection system...and after a long drawn-out research process (I tend to over-think before I buy), I pulled the trigger on the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 system with the fuel sump pump. The fuel sump pump kit was delivered pretty quickly, but the Pro Flo 4 was back ordered until mid April, so I started researching upgrade #2...an A/C system to replace the dealer installed under-dash unit. I'm planning on keeping the rear air, so I've been trying to weigh the options with emphasis on compatibility. Another lengthy research process, and although I have yet to actually make the purchase, I'm leaning heavily towards the Classic Auto Air system. I might just keep the factory rear system as an "air handler" and not stress over combining the two systems, but the jury is still out on that? Back to the Pro Flo 4...I got notified in early April that my back-order has been pushed back until the beginning of August, so I got kind of depressed about having to wait. I began planning out what I needed to do to get ready for the two projects even though I prefer to work on one thing at a time. I decided that a tidy engine compartment could be a nice bonus to making these upgrades, so I moved my windshield washer jug (including the electrical and rubber hoses) from the passenger side to the drivers side. This meant relocating the big-block power steering reservoir more into the corner to have the "triangular" layout I have seen on other people's projects. That was pretty straight forward, so I moved on to removing the heater core/fan box cover as that will not be needed with whichever aftermarket A/C system I go with. I also removed the interior side of the under dash A/C system, but left the A/C wiring harness in place until I decide what to do. I would like to use a bulk-head for the heater and A/C hoses...and route them through the passenger side fender passage (as well as anything else that will be going that direction). I purchased the two firewall block-off plates from Full Custom Fabrication (I opted for the "without holes" as I'm not sure what configuration of bulk head I will be going with) and I'm really impressed with the quality of their product. It is also a perfect place to mount the fuel sump pump, which will free up the space I made by moving the windshield washer jug so I can mount any relays there that might be required in the future (at that time, I'll also do a little tidying-up of the "Ford style" solenoid that the original owner installed). At some point way down the road, I envision pulling the engine to do a complete engine bay clean-up, but for now, I'm trying to keep the Beach-Burban on the road with as little down time as possible.

Woody

Name:  IMG_3089.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3096.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3090.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3087.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3088.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  45.5 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:37 AM   #2
Average Joe

Re: Slow Progress is better than No Progress.

Those are some great upgrades!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looking good. I really like the block off plates, they look to be good quality and fit

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Those are some great upgrades!
Thanks Joe...I'm trying to keep moving on this but "things" keep getting in my way (and then I lose motivation).

Woody
Old 05-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Looking good. I really like the block off plates, they look to be good quality and fit
Thanks CG...I looked around a lot before I stumbled upon these from FCF. The three available options gave me a lot to ponder, and yes, they are strong and accurate...but like anything else, a little drill bit action was needed to get it just the way I wanted it!

Woody
Old 05-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
nsiti

Woody,

I also ordered a Pro Flo 4 EFI system in February and am still waiting for it. Apparently there are issues with obtaining the semiconductors necessary to complete production, but I have been unable to get a straight answer from Edelbrock. Quite disappointing. A fuel sump pump didn't come up in my research. Perhaps because I am going with an EFI tank with in-tank pump?

With regard to my factory front-rear A/C system, I decided to think about it holistically. I am going with a serpentine conversion kit coupled with a large Sanden SD7H15 (part# 4665) compressor. I decided to go with Old Air Products, which sold me a well priced kit, with control, trinary switch, as well as hoses to connect the rear A/C. None of this has been installed yet, so I can't necessarily recommend it, but it's what I did after a lot of research.

Good luck with your very cool looking Burb!

Nick
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Woody,

I also ordered a Pro Flo 4 EFI system in February and am still waiting for it. Apparently there are issues with obtaining the semiconductors necessary to complete production, but I have been unable to get a straight answer from Edelbrock. Quite disappointing. A fuel sump pump didn't come up in my research. Perhaps because I am going with an EFI tank with in-tank pump?

With regard to my factory front-rear A/C system, I decided to think about it holistically. I am going with a serpentine conversion kit coupled with a large Sanden SD7H15 (part# 4665) compressor. I decided to go with Old Air Products, which sold me a well priced kit, with control, trinary switch, as well as hoses to connect the rear A/C. None of this has been installed yet, so I can't necessarily recommend it, but it's what I did after a lot of research.

Good luck with your very cool looking Burb!

Nick
Thanks Nick...it's cool that you selected the Pro Flo 4 as well (even if there is a back-order issue). My mechanic buddy was glad that I chose a fuel rail type system...but there are trade-offs with any system one chooses. You are correct that your EFI tank and in-line pump eliminates your need for the sump system...I wanted to keep my dealer installed 45 gallon tank without cutting into it, so I went with the fuel sump kit. Not being anything close to an "authority" on the subject, I hope I don't regret my decisions!

A/C wise...I'm still in a quandary over how to proceed, but I did give Old Air Products a lot of thought during my research...and will be very interested to hear about your results!

Woody
Old 05-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Thanks Nick...it's cool that you selected the Pro Flo 4 as well (even if there is a back-order issue). My mechanic buddy was glad that I chose a fuel rail type system...but there are trade-offs with any system one chooses. You are correct that your EFI tank and in-line pump eliminates your need for the sump system...I wanted to keep my dealer installed 45 gallon tank without cutting into it, so I went with the fuel sump kit. Not being anything close to an "authority" on the subject, I hope I don't regret my decisions!

A/C wise...I'm still in a quandary over how to proceed, but I did give Old Air Products a lot of thought during my research...and will be very interested to hear about your results!

Woody
Hi Woody,

Thanks for you reply, especially about the sump system, which I wasn't familiar with. Keeping your big tank makes good sense. I went ahead and purchased an Aero Tank 40 and had them set it up for EFI with an in-tank pump. I really hope gas prices head back down soon, lol !

I researched all the AC companies, and I would agree that Classic Air is solid. I believe I passed on their system because of the modern dash controls and price. I'll definitely report back when my AC gets installed, unfortunately it will be a long time from now as I'm planning to restore the Suburban over the next 1-2 years.

If you remember, please update us when your Pro-Flo 4 ships. I'm curious to see how Edelbrock handles backorders.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 05-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #9
Beach-Burban

As I needed to protect the bare metal block-off plates, I decided that at the same time I could get a little taste (and hopefully motivation) of how the engine bay could progress. I used steel wool to clean the plates, then after wiping them down real well, I sprayed a self-etching primer followed by a color that nearly matches the original Wheatland Yellow (I held the plates next to the inside of the glove box door as that was the best representation of the original finish). This new color (Sunset Glow) is just a tad brighter, but that should help things pop under the hood. I left the stainless fasteners and aluminum Z-brackets natural as a contrast for now...but will consider other options in the future.

Woody

Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 05-29-2022, 06:34 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

Good progress! Quality work takes time.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #11
pwdcougar

Slow progress is better than no progress! Looking good Woody!
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #12
FLYNAVY30

Looking good Woody. I'm also on the slow train, but hopefully it will pick up soon. I've burned through 4 O2 sensors on the Holley Fuel injection in the last 6 months and I cant figure out why. Nothing has changed with the truck. Its left me stranded every time, and its made me disinterested in taking the truck out. Super frustrating just looking at the thing every morning sitting in the car port.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #13
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Good progress! Quality work takes time.
Thanks...I move extra slow hoping to do it right...and "sometimes" that approach works for me!

Woody
Old 06-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Slow progress is better than no progress! Looking good Woody!
Much appreciated!

Woody
Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #15
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Looking good Woody. I'm also on the slow train, but hopefully it will pick up soon. I've burned through 4 O2 sensors on the Holley Fuel injection in the last 6 months and I cant figure out why. Nothing has changed with the truck. Its left me stranded every time, and its made me disinterested in taking the truck out. Super frustrating just looking at the thing every morning sitting in the car port.
Thanks Greg...Sorry to hear about your EFI issues! I know what you mean about seeing it and not being able to drive it...it's a bummer for sure!

Woody
Old 06-01-2022, 11:28 PM   #16
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
A couple of things to consider. There is a real problem out there with cheap knock off sensors being sold in Bosch and other OE packaging. The quality manufacturers are playing Wack-A-Mole trying to shutdown the counterfeiters.
Second is O2 sensors are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. The OE'S supply them with stable voltage from a power conditioner that is usually built-in to the ECM. Most aftermarket stuff just hooks them to the battery directly exposing them to all the voltage drops and spikes associated with starting the engine.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #17
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
A couple of things to consider. There is a real problem out there with cheap knock off sensors being sold in Bosch and other OE packaging. The quality manufacturers are playing Wack-A-Mole trying to shutdown the counterfeiters.
Second is O2 sensors are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. The OE'S supply them with stable voltage from a power conditioner that is usually built-in to the ECM. Most aftermarket stuff just hooks them to the battery directly exposing them to all the voltage drops and spikes associated with starting the engine.

Good luck.
Thanks, in my case, the sensor is receiving power directly through the Holley Dominator ECU, so ideally, that should in limit the voltage spikes.

I've ordered all my replacements directly from Holley, though these do have a reputation for questionable quality. So far, I got:

6 years out of sensor #1
7 months out of sensor #2
1 month out of sensor #3
24 hours out of sensor #4

sensor #5 is in the car as it sits, which is what got me home from work the last time I was left stranded, but like I said, I'm hesitant to drive the damn thing because theres typically no warning or indication. The sensor fails, AFR spikes at an indication of 36.5, and the truck dies.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #18
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Thanks, in my case, the sensor is receiving power directly through the Holley Dominator ECU, so ideally, that should in limit the voltage spikes.

I've ordered all my replacements directly from Holley, though these do have a reputation for questionable quality. So far, I got:

6 years out of sensor #1
7 months out of sensor #2
1 month out of sensor #3
24 hours out of sensor #4

sensor #5 is in the car as it sits, which is what got me home from work the last time I was left stranded, but like I said, I'm hesitant to drive the damn thing because theres typically no warning or indication. The sensor fails, AFR spikes at an indication of 36.5, and the truck dies.
Yikes! That's terrible. I would certainly dive into the electrical side. Find someone with a Pico or other wave form diagnostic troubleshooting equipment and take a look at what exactly is happening electrically. You may find the ECU power output has gone out of specification or there is induced AC voltage.
If your not familiar with using oscilloscopes to test these kinds of problems take a look a ScannerDanner's U-tube channel. Lots to learn there.

Good luck and now the hijacking is completed its back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:15 PM   #19
FLYNAVY30

Much appreciated.....and apologies for hijacking Woody!!!
Old 06-09-2022, 04:26 PM   #20
nsiti

I noticed that Edelbrock lowered the price for the Pro-Flo 4 EFI by roughly 10% since I ordered mine in September. I called Edelbrock and the sales guy said, "no we've raised the price" to which I responded that's not what your web site says, so he said then we'll honor that price but we don't refund the difference on existing orders.

I ordered from a reseller and wondering whether it pays to cancel my order and place a new one at the lower price. Apparently the model with the entry level injector is in stock, and the medium and large injectors are being produced and will be shipping in a few weeks. Famous last words.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #21
Beach-Burban

Quote:
I noticed that Edelbrock lowered the price for the Pro-Flo 4 EFI by roughly 10% since I ordered mine in September. I called Edelbrock and the sales guy said, "no we've raised the price" to which I responded that's not what your web site says, so he said then we'll honor that price but we don't refund the difference on existing orders.

I ordered from a reseller and wondering whether it pays to cancel my order and place a new one at the lower price. Apparently the model with the entry level injector is in stock, and the medium and large injectors are being produced and will be shipping in a few weeks. Famous last words.
Thanks for the update, Nick...back in April (before they pushed my back order to August), Edelbrock refunded me $115 because they are no longer offering the hand held Android device (the app now works for Apple products too)...so that might be why the price shows lower now? I haven't looked it up to see what they are now charging for my application...but I'll be thrilled if the back order is ahead of schedule (I purchased the "medium" injectors)!

Woody
Old 06-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #22
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Much appreciated.....and apologies for hijacking Woody!!!
No worries Greg...I'm just glad to know that you're still out there working through your Burb's issues...and I don't consider your's or anybody's input as hijacking? We all learn from what others are going through!

Woody
Old 09-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #23
Beach-Burban

Quote:

Hey Nick...my August back order date has come and gone...and I haven't been notified by email of a new shipping date, but on the Edelbrock site, they show the end of September for new orders??? Did you get your's or any update? Calling is for the most part useless...and if Edelbrock hadn't moved out of Torrance, I would have been going there in person...a lot! I've met a guy at our local car show that has an "in" with Edelbrock, so I might hunt him down to see if he knows anything???

Woody
Old 09-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #24
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Hey Nick...my August back order date has come and gone...and I haven't been notified by email of a new shipping date, but on the Edelbrock site, they show the end of September for new orders??? Did you get your's or any update? Calling is for the most part useless...and if Edelbrock hadn't moved out of Torrance, I would have been going there in person...a lot! I've met a guy at our local car show that has an "in" with Edelbrock, so I might hunt him down to see if he knows anything???

Woody
Woody,

Back in early June, I cancelled my order for the Pro-Flo 4 with the large injectors and re-ordered the medium sized ones part #35770 (also availing myself of the $300 lower price). Subsequently, I noticed that Summit had 10+ in stock in July (a few weeks later it showed sold out with a September restock date). A few weeks ago Summit again showed 10+ in stock. Then, at the end of August Edelbrock's web site indicated #35770 was in stock. So I reached out to my reseller on August 26, who responded as follows: "I heard back and this is in the warehouse and just getting unpackaged from a shipment so it can go out. We should have tracking in the next 1 - 1 1/2 weeks. Once we've got that, we'll send it over!"

As of right now, it's been 1.5 weeks and no tracking has been provided. I will follow-up to get another update and let you know. Supply chains are still messed up, but it seems we are getting closer!

Regards,
Nick
Old 09-07-2022, 03:11 PM   #25
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Woody,

Back in early June, I cancelled my order for the Pro-Flo 4 with the large injectors and re-ordered the medium sized ones part #35770 (also availing myself of the $300 lower price). Subsequently, I noticed that Summit had 10+ in stock in July (a few weeks later it showed sold out with a September restock date). A few weeks ago Summit again showed 10+ in stock. Then, at the end of August Edelbrock's web site indicated #35770 was in stock. So I reached out to my reseller on August 26, who responded as follows: "I heard back and this is in the warehouse and just getting unpackaged from a shipment so it can go out. We should have tracking in the next 1 - 1 1/2 weeks. Once we've got that, we'll send it over!"

As of right now, it's been 1.5 weeks and no tracking has been provided. I will follow-up to get another update and let you know. Supply chains are still messed up, but it seems we are getting closer!

Regards,
Nick
Thanks for the update Nick...I too am getting the middle sized injectors, but mine is for a big block (#35830). I ordered through Summit...and both Summit and Edelbrock are now showing they're available at the end of September. It's frustrating getting put off so many times, but like you said...things are still messed-up...and I'm not willing to cancel my order so I guess I have to accept that they would send it to me if they could! Thanks again...and let me know if you get it and I'll do the same!

Woody