The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2022, 12:58 AM   #251
Richard

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

Sway bar is done and ram assist is mounted. Really happy with how it worked out. Good to be moving forward again. In the second pic ram bracket looks shiny because I took apart and painted it. Will reassemble tomorrow. May have to make new end links for sway bar. It is tricky because the axle has so much travel. Think I am mostly finished with all the major fab work.

Where to go next? Thinking I may assemble my dad's t-case and get it mounted up. One of the pieces I am using from the wreckage. Had the case bored out years ago for the larger female input bearing. I have a full rebuild kit in hand.
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:54 AM   #252
Richard

Have been busy with work and spending time with family. When I went to put t-case back together I found the 32 spline front output shaft was never ordered and had to wait for it. It is a no brainer upgrade from the stock GM 10 spline shaft that almost every GM NP205 has. The shaft is stock for Ford and Dodge and is a direct swap. A pin for the thrust washer does not fit in new shaft as the original was to large. Made a new pin from an old drill bit to get it together. T-case is now assembled, now is 32 spline input and both outputs. Front output has a flange for the high angle 1410 CV and rear has a 1410 ubolt yoke. Maybe make time to get it in place this week.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 10-20-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:59 AM   #253
72 tigger

Good upgrade- tcase looks great
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:10 AM   #254
Richard

Managed to get some time to work on truck. T-case is installed, had to modify the trans mount adapter a bit because t-case was sitting to low. I also made a bracket for the t-case shifter, it grabs one of the adapter bolts and two threaded stand offs on side of trans. Because of larger girth of the 6L90 handle was pushed 2" to the right. Some heat and massaging placed the shifter right where it needs to be in the original hole. Going to mess with the heim linkage a bit to get linkage straighter. Works fine but think I can make it better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 11-05-2022 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:57 AM   #255
Richard

Installed the made to spec Deaver springs today. Put the rear of the truck right where I wanted it. Just under 15" travel full droop to full bump. Using pretty much all of the shock now. A few pics attached. Was late and I did not get any full pics of the truck. First pic is mock up springs vs new.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2022, 03:07 AM   #256
Richard

Rear Driveline is pretty steep at full droop. 29 degree angle. There is a solution and parts that will handle this even with the power and torque in my truck. A few more measurements to make tomorrow and I will call Jesse back at High angle driveline to get started on the driveshafts.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2023, 02:31 AM   #257
Richard

Not a lot done since last post. Still waiting on driveshafts which are overdue. Not a surprise. Added wires and pins into the PSI harness for the GM A/C pressure sensor so my PWM fan will work correctly with A/C and also added an additional plug on the MAP for the Vaporworx pwm fuel pump controller. A pic of the modified harness seemed useless to me.

I did get the trans linkage all done. Used parts from Lokar. The 6L80-90 kit was on backorder. The kit with the longest rod for a 4L80 worked fine with some heating and bending of the rod. Trans shifts great. Still working out how to label lens correctly for 6L90 PRNDM. Nothing aftermarket available. First two pics show linkage.

A member PM'd about the power window switches I installed. Used double back tape to locate and determine mounting points. I used longer screws and washers for mounting to keep the handle in the correct position on door panel. As mentioned in an earlier post the longer shaft on the switch needed to be changed out as the handles were to far out from the door panels.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 01-25-2023 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:32 AM   #258
Richard

Additional pic of switch
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2024, 01:17 AM   #259
Richard

Has been another minute or so since last update. 2023 was a bust as for working on truck. Exactly what I feared happened when I started working part time on a regular basis. It turned full time. I have arranged to get one day off a week until the VW van is out the door of the body shop. Then the off days will increase. Finally got the drive shafts and they are in the truck. That ordeal kind of sucked. Posted something here on that https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844430 Will get some pics up soon.
Was able to spray the Lizard Skin sound formula today. Will follow up with the ceramic heat formula by next week. A pic of the sound deadener.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2024, 01:23 AM   #260
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Has been another minute or so since last update. 2023 was a bust as for working on truck. Exactly what I feared happened when I started working part time on a regular basis. It turned full time. I have arranged to get one day off a week until the VW van is out the door of the body shop. Then the off days will increase. Finally got the drive shafts and they are in the truck. That ordeal kind of sucked. Posted something here on that https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844430 Will get some pics up soon.
Was able to spray the Lizard Skin sound formula today. Will follow up with the ceramic heat formula by next week. A pic of the sound deadener.
Many people talked crap about lizardskin in past years. I used it on my unbearablely hot 76 Buick Regal floorpans and it worked wonders for me. I could not believe how well it worked. I went from only able to stand 1 hour of driving to being able to drive all day anywhere I wanted. I wish that it stayed glossy as it is when it is first sprayed though.

I am going to raptorline over the top of the lizardskin in my Blazer though.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:33 AM   #261
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
Many people talked crap about lizardskin in past years. I used it on my unbearablely hot 76 Buick Regal floorpans and it worked wonders for me. I could not believe how well it worked. I went from only able to stand 1 hour of driving to being able to drive all day anywhere I wanted. I wish that it stayed glossy as it is when it is first sprayed though.

I am going to raptorline over the top of the lizardskin in my Blazer though.
The Raptor over it is probably a good idea if going topless in in the cards.
First time I have used the stuff. Usually just throw down some strips of Accumat for panel deadening. Brian @ American Off Road had both the Lizard products in stock. I experienced the before and after on a Gravedigger panel van he was working on. Figured might as well do the heat shield while I am at it.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:38 AM   #262
NDM

Quote:
The Raptor over it is probably a good idea if going topless in in the cards.
First time I have used the stuff. Usually just throw down some strips of Accumat for panel deadening. Brian @ American Off Road had both the Lizard products in stock. I experienced the before and after on a Gravedigger panel van he was working on. Figured might as well do the heat shield while I am at it.
It will smell like latex for a while, just be prepared for that. I also used both Sound and thermal products. Good stuff.

I wish I was not laid off right now. I have a 6.6 liter L8T and a 6l90E sitting in the garage for my 72 K5. I would really like to slap it in so I can enjoy this summer. Gotta find a new gig asap!
Old 02-16-2024, 12:48 PM   #263
fakerwade

Cool build!!
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:31 AM   #264
Richard

Quote:
It will smell like latex for a while, just be prepared for that. I also used both Sound and thermal products. Good stuff.

I wish I was not laid off right now. I have a 6.6 liter L8T and a 6l90E sitting in the garage for my 72 K5. I would really like to slap it in so I can enjoy this summer. Gotta find a new gig asap!
A little bit to do until truck is on the road hopefully smell is gone by then.
If you do not mind I will pray for your job situation to change.
For me time is the problem to finish my truck. I have no means to make more of it once it is gone. Have enough $ saved up to finish it, if I do 96.8% of the work. Would have never even started this project if I had to pay for the labor.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:32 AM   #265
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
Cool build!!
Thank you for the comment. Took a peek at your build.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:19 AM   #266
Richard

Sprayed the ceramic heat coating today. All done with that step.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2024, 12:57 AM   #267
NDM

Quote:
Sprayed the ceramic heat coating today. All done with that step.
NICE! Very clean job!
Old 02-20-2024, 04:27 AM   #268
Richard

Quote:
NICE! Very clean job!
Thank you! The heat product is real thick but light. Barely poured out of container after mixing. I was reminded of marshmallow fluff, something I have not eaten in years. I was surprised it even came out of the gun. I used 70 psi with the gun in the application kit. My 5 gallon upright seemed to keep up for air delivery. It is a standard compressor, not oilless. While I would have preferred black as an end color. The white made it easier to ensure coverage over the black sound product. There is a black coating available I could spray. It will be concealed by carpet so why spend the extra money? Want to do something more on Thursday, my new day off. Will see what I come up with.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:34 AM   #269
mr.mud1

very nice,great work.she'll be a beauty.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:38 PM   #270
NDM

Quote:
Thank you! The heat product is real thick but light. Barely poured out of container after mixing. I was reminded of marshmallow fluff, something I have not eaten in years. I was surprised it even came out of the gun. I used 70 psi with the gun in the application kit. My 5 gallon upright seemed to keep up for air delivery. It is a standard compressor, not oilless. While I would have preferred black as an end color. The white made it easier to ensure coverage over the black sound product. There is a black coating available I could spray. It will be concealed by carpet so why spend the extra money? Want to do something more on Thursday, my new day off. Will see what I come up with.
It takes a while for it to completely dry. You could get a single Raptor liner kit and spray that which will make it very durable. Whatever you do, I am sure that it will be a great job!
Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 AM   #271
Richard

Had a good day and got some stuff done. Knocked the welds off of spring pads and shock mounts to set pinion angle. Set pinion at 2 degrees less than the drive shaft. Pics of drive shafts also included. I had decided to use a CV on the rear shaft to increase the amount of time between service intervals. Running a bit more than the 3 degree working angle many believe is necessary None the less, I have no worries that shaft will have a long life. Had to clearance the front shaft CV a bit as it gets to over 30 degrees at full droop.
Also started install of the BDS Recoil traction bars I got for Christmas. Just got the bars as there is obviously no install kit for my situation. Did not really want to run this type of bar but I had to do something with the soft springs. My measurements show they will not limit travel and be easy on the springs. The torque arm setup with the shackle puts to much strain on the springs with my 15"+ of wheel travel. Have the frame mounts all cut and ready to weld up. Will see them next time.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2024, 04:00 AM   #272
Richard

Finished the frame mounts for the traction bars and painted them. Have Monday off. Plan is to finish install of bars and start installation of Amp Powersteps.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2024, 02:58 AM   #273
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
very nice,great work.she'll be a beauty.
Thank you for the kind comment. It is inspirational to see you are still interested in my build after the hiatus. Helps with the motivation to post updates.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:09 AM   #274
mr.mud1

Quote:
Thank you for the kind comment. It is inspirational to see you are still interested in my build after the hiatus. Helps with the motivation to post updates.
yes sir,i'm around,still interested and amazed at what you're doing,very nice.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:25 AM   #275
Richard

Was more unorganized today than usual. Kind of did not want to post pics.
Figure most are used to it, traction bars are on the truck. Axle side tabs just tacked as I have to disassemble the new springs, cycle suspension and check full bump. With the diff turned up now I am pretty sure I have skid plate and possible tank modifications in my future.
Started Amp steps install. More modifying parts to make them fit. Need to pick up some different hardware to complete install. The axle degree shims are used behind the mounts to the inner rockers. They correct the mounting angle so steps will be level. Should have the mechanical side of the boards done the next day I work on them. Will have more details on what I am doing in the next post.
Attached Images