The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #1
OregonNed

"Custom" emblem installation on my doors

I soon found out when I acquired my '68 that it was a custom model, side trim holes welded up, and visible indications of the door Custom emblems behind the side mirrors also welded up and the whole truck repainted. I'd like to give it the identity back by installing at least the emblems. I've read the threads on emblem installs - just curious though if anyone has installed these with the barrel nuts (do they fit nice and tight?) or just removing the studs and using the 3M thick tape - again same question about how that worked. I'm a little apprehensive to drill them out - unsure what I would deal with under the paint - but will probably do that depending on opinions. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: "Custom" emblem installation on my doors

Personally I would avoid drilling if the original holes were welded up. To big a chance of the bit drifting when drilling a weld. My choice would be to use auto body quality 3M double sided trim tape. Every car for the last 25 years has their emblems attached this way.

Properly preparing the surface and the back of the emblem is important to get a permanent installation.

Are the back side of the CUSTOM emblems flat?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
OregonNed

Re: "Custom" emblem installation on my doors

Yes, they in fact are. Curved but a lot of surface for the tape (which is that thick gray colored type) - I've used it in other applications and it really bonds well. I added a piece and tried to eyeball it to see if it was thick enough to also bond to the truck. It looks like it will. I just need to trim the studs off. I'll probably go that route I think. The repop price wasn't that bad, and I could always mount a pair differently again. Bonus really is that I don't drive the truck a lot, and any rain time it sees is minor, and if I messed up on the weather prediction. Thanks so much! Appreciate all the help here.