The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
sick454

5.3 SWAP Wiring Problem

I have a 2007 Silverado 5.3 motor and engine bay wiring harness. My problem is finding the wiring diagrams that can help me eliminate the wires and were to hook everything up to get this motor running. I am starting to get frustrated with all the googleing, tying to fix this. I have the fuel system lined out. Cooling system is ready to install, I just want to get it turning over! Please help me figure out the wiring harness.
Thanks in advance,
Shane
sick454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: 5.3 SWAP Wiring Problem

shane.... what part of the board did you want to post this in?
This (burb forum) is probably the last place you'd want it.
There's been a few people who have installed gen III engines in 67 - 72 trucks (I assume thats what you are working on since you never said)
We need some more info, and i can move it to the right forum upon figuring out what it is you need.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
sick454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
shane.... what part of the board did you want to post this in?
This (burb forum) is probably the last place you'd want it.
There's been a few people who have installed gen III engines in 67 - 72 trucks (I assume thats what you are working on since you never said)
We need some more info, and i can move it to the right forum upon figuring out what it is you need.
CRAP!! It was suppose to be in the Engine and Drivetrain Forum. My bad, can you move it to that section. I have a 72 chevy truck. it really does not matter if its burb or truck. I just need the help. Thanks for looking out.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

done.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Years ago I bought a book at NAPA that had all the engine wiring diagrams for most all vehicles. I haven't looked to see if they have a newer edition that covers the newer year vehicles. It might be worth a look. There is also a wiring conversion book on ebay. I haven't bought it, but I thought I'd mention it so you can check it out if you like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Need you to be more specific. Auto or manual trans?

Also, seriously...think about the time and frustration you've dumped into it already. Why not send your harness to Speartech (http://www.speartech.com/) and have them rework it for you? What you get is something (usually) better-than-home-hacked with zero effort on your part. There are cheaper ways to do it, but ... This is pretty much one of the best, albeit pricey, methods.

If you really insist on doing it on your own, LS1tech is one of your best resources.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-diagrams.html

You'll need to sign up. I'm over there, my username is almost the same over there, only there's a ` at the end (shifty`)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
ChevyFan24

I know speartech is good but they are pricey. Waitf4meperformance is cheaper for redoing the oem harness. It is not as nice looking as Speartech but it should work. I just got mine back from them. They charged $360 for rework my oem harness and tune. I do not have it installed yet to show any pics.
2000 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab 454
1999 Chevrolet Blazer
2008 Polaris Ranger XP Orange Crush
ChevyFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

I used W4Me also. After seeing both the Speartech harness and the W4Me harness, all I can say is ... you get what you pay for.

The W4Me harness worked fine also, although the instructions weren't exactly provided to explain how to hookup, so I had to ask 5 million questions. The Speartech harness was so simple, plug and play, clear instructions, all relays present for fuel pump and fans, etc.

I dunno. If money is no object, I would have probably go Speartech. It would've saved me several hours of cleaning up and work.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
boostat4500

Are you just looking for the pin-out locations on the PCM? If you still need them on Tuesday, let me know and I'll send them to you. I can get them at work.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
sick454

Well, I sent my harness to Wait4meperforance and thy did an awesome job. I had alrady purchased fuel pump and electric fan relays. So, they pu me some drops of the harness to connect the relays to. easy and painless. It was easy to connect everything. Thanks for the information and assistance
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
sick454

Well, I finally had time this weekend to install the harness, AND i'm frustrated again. I have everything exactly as Wait4me explained it. and labeled it. Except for the oil level sensor, I can't find it. before you go saying it. I have looked everywhere on the passangers side of the block and oil pan and it is not on my engine. Can this bebypassed and will it start without it connected

Second, The engine will not start. NO SPARK. I have fuel (plugs are wet with fuel) and it turns over but I can not get it to spark! Checked all my grounds and they are good. For some reason the PCM is not telling the coils to fire.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
tonypaul

Who did your reporgraming?
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
sick454

Wait4me Performance. I'm thinking the VATS was not removed.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
tonypaul

Even it the VATS wasnt removed it should start up for like a second or two then shut down... Let me do some thinking....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
clinebarger

Is the crank sensor plugged in? (its behind the starter)

Is the cam sensor plugged in? (its behind the intake)
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
sick454

Thanks, for the replies. I tried to find the crank sensor, but can't locate it. The cam sensor is pluge in.

Is the crank sensor between the starter and the block? because I have been all over that side of the engine and can't find were it plugs in at??
Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick454 View Post
Thanks, for the replies. I tried to find the crank sensor, but can't locate it. The cam sensor is pluge in.

Is the crank sensor between the starter and the block? because I have been all over that side of the engine and can't find were it plugs in at??
Its right behind the starter solenoid, heres a drawing.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
sick454

Thank you Clinebarger. That sucker is hidden! But still no start. However I have figured out that when I turn my key to start. Something is shorting out and droping my voltage to 5-6 volts. So I disconnected all the dash battery hot wires and thats as far as I got. Probably won't get back to it till Saturday evening.

We have a bunch of new Chief Petty Officers and it's TRAINING SEASON!!! You ex-squids know what I'm talking about! LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Jim_PA

move this sucker to the LSx swap forums already! --
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
clinebarger

Quote:
Thank you Clinebarger. That sucker is hidden! But still no start. However I have figured out that when I turn my key to start. Something is shorting out and droping my voltage to 5-6 volts. So I disconnected all the dash battery hot wires and thats as far as I got. Probably won't get back to it till Saturday evening.

We have a bunch of new Chief Petty Officers and it's TRAINING SEASON!!! You ex-squids know what I'm talking about! LOL
Bad connection? Dead battery? Do you have a battery charger hooked up to keep the battery charged.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
sick454

Jim, I already tried to move it, but got my butt chewed for double posting.

Clinebarger, I do have a charger on the battery, charging it for when I do get a chane to get back out there and work on it some more. The battery is good, just needed a little juice. I do have a bad connection, it appears it's shorting out something and dropping my voltage, when I hit the ignition swithc to start it. I'm sure i'll get it figured out this weeked.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
sick454

OK, Hooked up the Crankshaft position sensor, CHECKED ALL my ground wires again, and still nothing. Got the Battery checked at the auto parts store, had to charge it from cranking it so much and still nothing. I have fuel but NO Spark. I don't get it. And to top it all off, I only have sundays to work on it. Soooo, calling Wait4me Performace on sunday is out of the question, and trying to call them on a week day and get one or two ideas then wait till sunday to work on it again sucks!!!

I'm about one second away from selling this POS project!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
clinebarger

Quote:
OK, Hooked up the Crankshaft position sensor, CHECKED ALL my ground wires again, and still nothing. Got the Battery checked at the auto parts store, had to charge it from cranking it so much and still nothing. I have fuel but NO Spark. I don't get it. And to top it all off, I only have sundays to work on it. Soooo, calling Wait4me Performace on sunday is out of the question, and trying to call them on a week day and get one or two ideas then wait till sunday to work on it again sucks!!!

I'm about one second away from selling this POS project!
When you say you got "fuel" are you talking about just pressure only, have you verified that the injectors are pulsing?

07 is a split-year. Did this engine come from a old or new body truck?

The best advice I can give is for you to calm down, The truck is worth more when its running
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
sick454

I think it's the new body style, my VIN is 2GCEK13Z071141116. If anyone could decode that and tell me I would appreaciate it. I have fuel in the cylinders, the plugs are wet. Wouldn't the injectors prevent fuel from getting in the cylinders if they were not pulsing?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
clinebarger

It came out of a 2007 Silverado Classic 1/2 ton 4X4 crew cab with a Flex Fuel (L59) 5.3L. (old body)

There are two grounds behind the intake by the cam sensor. Are those grounded? #2 & #4 are the grounds im talking about #3 is the camshaft position sensor
Attached Images