The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
BellyAche Jr.

Rewire 1980 K10

Getting ready to rewire 1980 K10 in prep engine swap. Any tricks, tips, etc... From anyone who "has been there, don that." Using painless wiring truck has too many shorts to keep screwing around with. Previous owner loved to cut and splice. Found entire lengths of harness cut at both ends to driver fuel tank and ac system. Tired of messing around. Thanks
BellyAche Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Rewire 1980 K10

anyone?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

I completely re-wired one of my trucks a while back with an aftermarket harness, and I am NO electrician. Seems like a daunting task, but easiest way for me was to figure out which wires would be grouped together, and keep them close (like with masking tape labeled "headlights, tail lights, under-dash" etc).

Just do one wire at a time. No matter how tempting it is to do multiples; it will confuse the hell out of you eventually. And don't cut anything at all until you're positive all your lengths are good (run the entire wiring harness, THEN cut). I ended up re-positioning some of my wires when I was done because I didn't like the way they ended up getting routed.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
csb#356

If youre using the painless harness made for the 73-87s then you will need to keep your AC harness, and then you have to get rid of all the AC wiring that comes with the kit because it is for the later 80s trucks. Other than that it is pretty simple. I didn't really know that I was supposed to remove all those wires from the fuse block so now I have a big jumbles of wires tied to the firewall with electrical tape on the ends. haha. It would have been a lot nicer if I knew which ones to remove from the start.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
BellyAche Jr.

Thanks for the heads up! The Rep at painless told me everything was included except for wiring for the driver's side tank, which of course is one of the major pieces of wiring someone cut out of the harness. Feel like getting a carfax and calling everyone on the list of prior owners and ask: "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!"
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyAche Jr. View Post
Thanks for the heads up! The Rep at painless told me everything was included except for wiring for the driver's side tank, which of course is one of the major pieces of wiring someone cut out of the harness. Feel like getting a carfax and calling everyone on the list of prior owners and ask: "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!"
M & H Fabricators make the AC harness for our trucks but it's expensive. Their dual tank wiring is just under the dash, firewall to switch, no under truck wiring.
Replacing the butchered sender wires shouldn't be difficult as long as the dash switch to firewall wiring is intact.
This diagram is for 1976 single wire. The 1980 single wire should be the same but I won't guarantee colors.
Attached Images

hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
BellyAche Jr.

HA! Thanks the blue/green wire is what I found cut under the vehicle! No wonder my gas gauge doesn't work!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
BellyAche Jr.

By the way, colors are the same. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
cableguy0

you can also check with American autowire they will make a harness to your specs that will fit. I use there stuff at work and its great. The biggest thing with wiring is to break it down. If you look at it as 15 individual jobs instead of 1 huge job its a ton easier. Be neat and take your time.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote