The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
KyleSeal

Putting In a American Autowire Harness - What to Expect?

As the title states, what should I expect? Anything to look for, tips for disassembly, re-assembling, and things (wear items and such) to go ahead and replace? First time with a new harness, and the wiring in my truck is so bad I have to disconnect my battery or else it'll die. As I said, AAW harness in a 1970 Chevrolet C10 2wd 5.7 v8.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
KyleSeal

Re: Putting In a American Autowire Harness - What to Expect?

Also I have my 3 speed converted to floor - do I need to make any special changes for this?

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
As the title states, what should I expect? Anything to look for, tips for disassembly, re-assembling, and things (wear items and such) to go ahead and replace? First time with a new harness, and the wiring in my truck is so bad I have to disconnect my battery or else it'll die. As I said, AAW harness in a 1970 Chevrolet C10 2wd 5.7 v8.
If I were installing a new harness I would get one that was set up for the internally regulated alternator and HEI ignition. The conversions are not that hard to do with the stock harness so if you already have the stock harness it's not a big deal.
Get yourself a good wiring diagram and follow it.

Best of all, we'll be here if you need us.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
KyleSeal

Can you tell me more about the alt and HEI?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
fun in dirt

Not sure which harness AAW you ordered, but if got the Classic Update, it will come already for HEI & internal reg. alternator. I've put their harnesses in 3 different vehicles & have had zero trouble. Great instructions that are easy to follow & great tech support if do have a question. Initially, the hardest part for me was crimping the wire connectors. They send a bag of them to practice with...yes, practice first! I was a tight wad and hard-head the first 2 projects & didn't get the crimper tool. I could still do them neatly, just took forever. By 3rd project bought a correct crimper & went twice as fast. Few tips off the top of my head:
- When taking you old harness out, mark every connector you unplug with tape as to where it went.
- Don't throw away old harness...you may need a few pieces off of it.
- Have to re-use (or make a new) to wiper motor & heater, a/c. New harness just comes with power wires to these switches.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Can you tell me more about the alt and HEI?
The alternator and the HEI ignition were both added around 1974. The HEI replaces the points distributor and provides a better spark and it replaces the mechanical points inside the distributor. This means less adjustment and more reliability ( argumentative) than the points system. The coil is contained in the top of the distributor thus the larger cap on the distributor on stock GM HEIs.

The alternator i'm referring to is internally regulated by solid state items. Transistors, diodes, resistors. They are more reliable than the old externally regulated points style regulators and they are capable of more output to match the increasing demands of the electrical items on the trucks.

The conversions on both of these systems are relatively easy by modifying the wiring harnesses which is why I mentioned that you should order the harness with the mods already incorporated.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
Blazerowner

I'm about to put the update series in my 72. You have to enlarge the he for the fuse panel. Anyone have suggestions for cutting the hole?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:35 AM   #8
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Go to a good air tool store and ask them for an "air nibbler". Its an extremely quick reciprocating hack saw and it cuts very fast but accurate.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Lugnutz65

I'm just beginning the installation of an AAW Classic Update Kit for 1960-66.
I'm not knocking AAW. They have good reviews and sell a great product.

The diagrams and directions are good, but not perfect. Compare the original wiring harness to whatever you are doing. Here's an example of me coming close to making a minor screw up. The 1965 fuel gauge has a pink and a brown wire. Depending on which way you look at the connection block (V shaped block) you might get the wires swapped. Look at their diagram in the photo next to the original 1965 factory connection block. After studying the diagram, I would have installed them wrong. Lucky I had an original wire harness to compare. The AAW diagram actually IS CORRECT, but could easily be misinterpreted after a just quick glance.

Also, these 2 tools will save you time and money. AAW wants to RENT you a pair of crimpers for exactly what I PAID for my crimper. My ratcheting crimper even does spark plug wires and a bunch of other stuff because it has several different dies. The 5th pic shows the die I used tonight to make all of my gauge cluster terminal crimps. All were made using the middle position - 14-16 GA.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 06-17-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
Lugnutz65

I made these crimps tonight - first time using the crimper and all were EXCELLENT. Not because of my talent but because the crimper is GREAT. It correctly squeezes the fold over the bare wire AND over the insulation all at the same time - ONE squeeze.

The wire stripper is so nice that I will never reach for any of my other strippers again.

Not bragging about anything here. Just super happy about some quality tools that make life so much nicer for my installation.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #11
cableguy0

I have installed a bunch of their harness from full custom highway 22 to direct fit. I like them a lot. They come complete with everything needed. If you want something special just call them. They will add or remove circuits for you. Very easy to deal with. Had them make a harness for a 77 Jeep Cherokee chief as well and they did one hell of a job.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
truckdude239

I didnt buy there cimpers but used normall climpers a lnd solider every cimp i made

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
dirtyjim

as far as the crimpers go I have two sets of ratcheting crimpers and 10 sets of various Packard crimpers. once you start using the Packard crimpers that's all you'll want to use. I've picked them all up used on ebay for anywhere from $65 to $10