The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
bandit0067

Need ps gearbox seal number for a 69 GMC

Guys, tired of my power steering gearbox output, or pitman arm shaft seal dripping all the time now. Looks pretty simple to change, pull the lock ring and dig it out......do you know what number to ask for at Napa or O reilleys.....thanks....
bandit0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Need ps gearbox seal number for a 69 GMC

Confirm with your own research but this is what popped up on my computer

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...BEgJoq_D_BwE&g
Sheepdip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
notsolo

Seach box " back to basics re-sealin a leaky power steering box"..TX Firefighter did a detailed write up on..power steering box seal replacement, it's not just 1 seal. Snap ring, washer, seal, washer, seal.....Edelman 8766 might be the correct #..depends on if your going to do just the bottom....box needs to be removed also.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
bandit0067

Thanks guys, just the info needed and a great how to thread with pics as well. A NAPA store is most convenient for me and that number should get things going. This is for my 69 my Dad bought brand new when I was 11. It did not come with power steering and I think I got all the parts at the local Pull A Part from a salvage truck. Can't remember exactly what year it was from but I'm sure from a 68 -72, so hoping most all those units were the same.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:12 PM   #5
bandit0067

Update on pittman arm seal replacement. Using the Edelman kit number 8766, my NAPA guy had his kit #7-360. Kit fits Saginaw model 800 and 605, mine was a 800. You do not need to remove the gearbox if only replacing pittman arm seals, there are two in there. After removing lock ring and first washer using two small screws method , the first one came out easy. Removed next washer and second seal was about an inch deep and using my shop stock I was having difficulty pulling second seal. I then wrapped a rag around shaft end and fired up the engine and it blew the second seal down enough for easy removal. It did not make as big a mess as I was expecting and will use that method agin in the future. Found right size emt electric pipe and drove seals back in. No leaks, and most all the dirty looking ps fluid got changed. Took about an hour and I will perform this again on some other leakers I have, go for it. Thanks for the info, much help all