The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 AM   #26
dropdprpls10

you will never have any problems with bags as long as they are installed right!! =).. heres some info on equipment
http://www.bagginit.com/facts.html

and i know what you mean about dragin and rubbing .. except i did it on purpos!!
my old truck

dropdprpls10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #27
TheFabShop

The only problem I don't like about the big reds are how slow they are.
TheFabShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #28
TheFabShop

The duty cycle makes a big difference if you are running a 155 switch and play with it alot plus the 400 draws 30 amps where a 450 draws 23.I am just saying from what I have run into the 400 gets too hot if you run it for long periods of time.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 AM   #29
BaggedC10
Under construction!

I understand what your saying. If you like to hit the switches allot and have 16+ gallons of air storage, an engine driven compressor is the only way to go. JMO though.....

Personally, I feel my BIGRed's and 1/2" air line make for the perfect speed. A rise time of under 2-seconds is good enough for me.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #30
TheFabShop

It all boils down to what the customer wants and your prefference.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #31
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFabShop
The only problem I don't like about the big reds are how slow they are.
I don't see how that's an issue. Mine are faster than my fingers. It's very hard to fine tune bag pressure with the Bid Reds speed. I can't imagine why you need anything faster.

My 77 doesn't "pop" up but I wouldn't say it's slow and I'm only running 3/8 line...

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-20-2004 at 01:34 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 AM   #32
TheFabShop

Most people I do installs for want their system really fast.I run alot of systems with a line drive,3 7gal tanks,1/2 5/8 ported valves with 175 to 200 psi switch.this is the reason I don't run the BigReds plus the cost of them.I wasn't bashing the valves just saying it boils down to your needs.I know of several people running the bigReds right now and they are not very fast.Then again like I said it depends on what my customer wants.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
pbmcauliffe

Another thing that can affect the rise/drop speed is the way the system is controlled. I have done a few systems using the Dakota Digital controller and have noticed they are a bit slower in rising and lowering compared to a system with gauges and switches. I am guessing the reason for this is because the controller is monitoring the pressure on the valves and that info needs to go back and forth to the controller to let it know where the pressure is at.
For people that want to play with the system a lot, I usually run the engine driven compressor and large tanks.
pbmcauliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:58 PM   #34
Bryce M

what bags work for our trucks I know the firestones and slams mentioned in this thread but what about Airlift and Conti Or are the firestones a better choice I want to go with bags I am not going to have any problems with.

One more question how can you go with a unchopped crossmember and If I chopped it when does the steering box hit the ground
Bryce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:01 AM   #35
TheFabShop

I have used conti's,stones,& airlifts with no problem out of any.I use conti's the most because I can get them faster but you shouldn't have any problems as long as your bag doesn't touch anything.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 AM   #36
Bryce M

But which bag is It I need from air lift or conti or anybody else
Bryce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 AM   #37
TheFabShop

I run conti 224.The good thing is conti,stone,airlift,slam all share the same bolt pattern for mounting.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM   #38
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggedC10
2. I've had zero problems w/ my truck but I have only driven it 200-miles since owning it. Assuming the installation is done right, the suspension should provide many years of trouble-free service. Make sure the air springs don't make contact w/ anything, the air line is not prone to chaifing, and all fittings are secure/taped.
I've been using the same 4 bags on my '69 for >5 years. I've popped a couple of the 1/8" gauge lines, but only in the last few months... and my truck can be driven when the front is dumped, so it wasn't bad nursing it home and fixing the broken line. After I get my new cab in place, I'm going to use digital gauges so I won't have to deal with the 1/8" lines any more.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #39
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
I've been using the same 4 bags on my '69 for >5 years. I've popped a couple of the 1/8" gauge lines, but only in the last few months... and my truck can be driven when the front is dumped, so it wasn't bad nursing it home and fixing the broken line. After I get my new cab in place, I'm going to use digital gauges so I won't have to deal with the 1/8" lines any more.
I just recieved my ART catalogue this weekend and i was wondering about the digital controller..... it seems like a GREAT deal for $399. Looking in the catalogue 2 things came to mind #1 it is very well done and #2 most the stuff is over priced but the digital controller seemed pretty reasonable considering. Am i mistaken in thinking that it acts as both switches and gagues and would be the only peice of equipment aside from the bags, lines, compressor and tank? I would think that if you totaled up all the switches and gauges you would be spending pretty close to the same. Am i missing something here?
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:37 AM   #40
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHoundSteve
..... Am i mistaken in thinking that it acts as both switches and gagues and would be the only peice of equipment aside from the bags, lines, compressor and tank? I would think that if you totaled up all the switches and gauges you would be spending pretty close to the same. Am i missing something here?
That is an add on unit. You still have to have the valves...
Old 11-22-2004, 10:49 AM   #41
pbmcauliffe

The RidePro E controller only replaces the switches and gauges to control up/down and raise (to a user programmed level) on start-up, it can also be used via the panel or remotes.
Dakota Digital makes one (twice the price) that has four user presets and a timed bag dump feature, manual up/down, auto mode (continually adjusts bags to desired setting) and a few other features.
There is another piece coming out at the beginning of the year that will have the features of the Dakota Digital one (plus a few more) but will be around the price of the ART piece.
pbmcauliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #42
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
.....After I get my new cab in place, I'm going to use digital gauges so I won't have to deal with the 1/8" lines any more.
No doubt that this is the way to go. It eliminates on more air line that can cause problems.

On my 77 we monuted the gauge in the ashtray...

Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #43
jlaird

N2TRUX,

how do you control the pressure with that gauge?
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #44
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird
N2TRUX,

how do you control the pressure with that gauge?
It's just a digital gauge. You control the pressure w/remote switches (air in/air out). N2TRUX has his switches mounted to a custom 'box' (for lack of a better term) mounted low & close to the center of his bench seat. It's very cool indeed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:41 PM   #45
GreyHoundSteve

Does anyone have a link to a place that sells digital controllers and gauges? I would settle for a link to someone who sells cool switches. Ive gone to GREAT lengths to eliminate the "old school" style knobs and switches and the only toggles ive seen look like they were purchased at a hardware store.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #46
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
.... his switches mounted to a custom 'box' (for lack of a better term) mounted low & close to the center of his bench seat. .....
Thanks Scoti. Yeah I told the guys at Stoked Out Specialties that I wanted easy access to the switches, and didn't want to cut the dash up so they built this for me....

Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #47
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

And mounted it under the seat...

Old 11-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #48
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

That switch mount is very trick indeed! The first time I saw that pic I didn't know what is was, but then I was like "ooooh! cooool!"
Old 11-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #49
ol skool 68
turnin wrenches

another thing you might consider is going with the "big red" valves from air ride. they do cost a little more but they are faster than the ride pro set up which makes it nice for quick changes (pothole prevention) i have had both and am really happy with the way the big red valves have performed. i have a 4 corner setup which allows me to control each corner individually preventing the air from rolling from one side to the other. the bigred valves are easy to install one block has both your inlet and outlet for each corner (4 blocks required for 4 corner) and the make it so you can have each block seperated or combined for a clean simple set up. i run four toggles and 2 dual needle gauges however i am planning on going to a digital setup here in the near future.

on a side note: N2trux thank you for helping me convince my buddy crush into bagging his truck, i have been trying to get him to do it for a couple of years now!! his k5 is being sold this weekend so his truck will soon be receiving the bag treatment!!

D.M.C. -FF-

68 SWB full frame off (project ol skool)
2000 s-10 formally bagged but now my daily driver...
ol skool 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:34 PM   #50
Izzy
Trucker.

I had the ride pro's on my 83 and personally liked them, easier and cleaner install and the speed was plenty for me. I think the fastest valve I would ever run would be a 3/8" SMC/Airlift/GC.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote