The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
Grumpy old man

The signs are on the wall , Nobody seems to see them ...

If you've ever seen the discovery channels show Swamp road loggers about Bobby Goodson all terrain logging crew , Well he's just decided to call it quits after 37 years running logging crews in some of the worst locations , This is just a sign of what's happening to many business owners running trucks and heavy equipment that have to deal with the cost of fuel , tires and parts , Labor , taxes . If it's happening to him you can bet it's affecting all the logging crews across the country Lumber will be going way higher again and it won't be a pandemic this time . Everything is just gotten to the point where to be profitable company requiring heavy equipment / trucks .transportation of any kind your pretty much screwed , There are no "Electric alternatives" that can replace diesel power , Farmers .Truckers are paying the price and it's all gonna hit us all hard in the near future more so than it already has . I've noticed how much tires have gone up just in the last few months so I'll be replacing the tires on Mrs Grumpy's and my daily drivers before they go up further .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKmdbwIT4Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGCFSYcVW8

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
Axle

Re: The signs are on the wall , Nobody seems to see them ...

I remember that show, was a decent watch. Too bad about having to shut down. When you are at the start of the chain of any industry, costs to operate vs profit are tight as it is.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I talked to a farmer who told me it cost him $750 per acre to plant corn this year. That's total costs and I don't know what it was last year. But he told me in the context that it all went up, fuel, seed, chemicals, parts. It gets harder and harder for all smaller sized business, meaning one office/single operation, to survive for multiple reasons. This crazy fuel cost is another nail in the coffin. The last for some I guess.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I see it everyday at work. Our price change person has hundreds of price changes to do every day.

I scanned one of those little furniture scratch repair pens the other day and it came up with a price mismatch, meaning the price tag I scanned is no longer correct. I put the new price tag up ... was nine bucks now nineteen.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #5
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

We are all victims of this extortion. But what are you supposed to do?? Starve??

They all send out their "spokespeople' making excuses (lies) and get rich off the back of everyone else.

I'm all for someone making a buck but where does it end? It seems like a black hole of taking our hard earned money.

I drove through the drive thru at Taco Bell and ordered a Mexican pizza with extra cheese (yummy) And a Pepsi. 11 bucks. I have to admit that I dropped a couple of F bombs while I was in line burning up my $100 quarter tank of gas while waiting for my 11 dollar pizza.

At least give me a kiss before you screw me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
KW5413

At damned near 69 years old I had hoped to keep my business alive 'til I am 74 / 75. Not sure that is going to happen now. I run my business like it has 3-6 months of legs.

One of my most important vendors is closing shop mid-June. Another small mfg. Bites the dust. Reasons? A laundry list full of them. Large fuel surcharges is only one.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #7
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
At damned near 69 years old I had hoped to keep my business alive 'til I am 74 / 75. Not sure that is going to happen now. I run my business like it has 3-6 months of legs.

One of my most important vendors is closing shop mid-June. Another small mfg. Bites the dust. Reasons? A laundry list full of them. Large fuel surcharges is only one.
My son in law owns a food truck/catering business. He was making big bucks. But with Covid and inflation he's barely hanging on now.

The business he worked so hard to build was just literally ripped out from under him.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
best view

EDIT: Please keep politics out of your posts, as per site guidelines. Thank you

Last edited by special-K; 05-29-2022 at 05:42 AM.
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
Dirt's72

One of the first things that was mentioned is that we need to lower our expectations. At a round table it was said that the US needs to lead the new world order. "And now is a time things are shifting. There's going to be a new world order out there and we've got to lead it." The World Economic Forum says by 2030 you will own nothing and be happy. And how did Bill Gates, neither doctor nor scientist become the prophetic visionary for public health?
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
LS short box

My brother in law and my sister are long haul truckers. They take on loads with contracts that allow for fuel cost increases. Of course the end user just passes that along to whom ever. They aren't afraid of hauling. He/she aren't going to do it for free. They turn down many loads. No shortage of work.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:18 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
My brother in law and my sister are long haul truckers. They take on loads with contracts that allow for fuel cost increases. Of course the end user just passes that along to whom ever. They aren't afraid of hauling. He/she aren't going to do it for free. They turn down many loads. No shortage of work.
That's the problem, Bobby Goodson all terrain logging had plenty of wood to harvest but the next guy "the mill " didn't want to pay for expensive fuel . So now the mill will do without ,Bobby's guy's are out of work and I'm sure with less wood harvested the mill workers will be next to be layed off and " we" will all pay more for every 2x4 . There comes a time when the last guy in line says No I don't want your 2x4 at $20.00 each or the roll of toilet paper at $10.00 or steaks at $30.00 a pound and that's when it really starts hitting everyone , When you can't feed your kids because of fuel prices that keep getting pushed onto the next guy . Sooner or later the next guy can't afford it . It will take decades to change over to a new fuel source , We don't have the electrical infrastructure in place to do it in a few short years No matter who wants it done .

Old 05-28-2022, 11:58 PM   #12
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
That's the problem, Bobby Goodson all terrain logging had plenty of wood to harvest but the next guy "the mill " didn't want to pay for expensive fuel . So now the mill will do without ,Bobby's guy's are out of work and I'm sure with less wood harvested the mill workers will be next to be layed off and " we" will all pay more for every 2x4 . There comes a time when the last guy in line says No I don't want your 2x4 at $20.00 each or the roll of toilet paper at $10.00 or steaks at $30.00 a pound and that's when it really starts hitting everyone , When you can't feed your kids because of fuel prices that keep getting pushed onto the next guy . Sooner or later the next guy can't afford it . It will take decades to change over to a new fuel source , We don't have the electrical infrastructure in place to do it in a few short years No matter who wants it done .
You are correct. The infrastructure cannot support what they want, Maybe that's why my power has been shut off 5 times in the last 2 months for "upgrades' They have an agenda. They will get it done. They have all your tax dollars to do it. I see the crews blocking the road beefing up the lines. I worked there. I've done the job. I know what they are doing. Most people just drive by blindly. No one is paying attention. Why would they?

The powers that be are banking on public complacency. They are betting that everyone just shuts up and takes it. I'm not talking politics. I'm talking about power. People in power. People that you've never heard of. It's all about money not politics. Politicians are just employees.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:26 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You are correct. The infrastructure cannot support what they want, Maybe that's why my power has been shut off 5 times in the last 2 months for "upgrades' They have an agenda. They will get it done. They have all your tax dollars to do it. I see the crews blocking the road beefing up the lines. I worked there. I've done the job. I know what they are doing. Most people just drive by blindly. No one is paying attention. Why would they?

The powers that be are banking on public complacency. They are betting that everyone just shuts up and takes it. I'm not talking politics. I'm talking about power. People in power. People that you've never heard of. It's all about money not politics. Politicians are just employees.
This is an interesting read about current infrastructure problems .

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...is-Summer.html

Old 05-29-2022, 12:38 AM   #14
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You are talking about the attendees at the World Economic Forum.

I've mentioned in another thread how much fuel we use. We will have to suck it up on the current contracts, but the next ones will reflect the price increases.

Just before the price increases, we received an order of 65 miles of PVC pipe. The next order will be double in price because it's made from petroleum.

It was not a good idea to shut down pipelines and exploration.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
One of the first things that was mentioned is that we need to lower our expectations. At a round table it was said that the US needs to lead the new world order. "And now is a time things are shifting. There's going to be a new world order out there and we've got to lead it." The World Economic Forum says by 2030 you will own nothing and be happy. And how did Bill Gates, neither doctor nor scientist become the prophetic visionary for public health?
He did it the old fashioned way $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt's72 View Post
I wonder if a similar statement was released to the ancient Romans. We have followed in their footsteps so far.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #17
Tom
driving is in my blood

Its more like the signs are on the wall and EVERYBODY seems them.
Its a global economy, so we can't do much about it. This ball started rolling a couple years ago at the very least.
And because its a global economy, and America isn't the leader in everything like back in the 50's and 60's that everyone likes to compare life currently too, our quality of life is gonna go down and be like everyone else's in the world. To many nanny American's aren't ready to face that truth though.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:38 PM   #18
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Its more like the signs are on the wall and EVERYBODY seems them.
Its a global economy, so we can't do much about it. This ball started rolling a couple years ago at the very least.
And because its a global economy, and America isn't the leader in everything like back in the 50's and 60's that everyone likes to compare life currently too, our quality of life is gonna go down and be like everyone else's in the world. To many nanny American's aren't ready to face that truth though.
Or, more likely....they are creating that truth.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 PM   #19
72c20customcamper

Sawmills here and other places are turning away logs. Only type they buy now is specialty woods I also belong to an arborist forum and a lot of the pro loggers in the PNW are not working all that much . All the homes around me aren’t wood frame anymore a lot are steel studs and fire resistant sheathing . That’s the way I would go if I were building now . I’m pretty sure the some states prone to forest fires are requiring that type of structure with fire resistant roofs . Saw these on the news the other night .
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #20
Low Elco

Saw an interesting read about Urea. If it's correct, that's gonna get REAL interesting.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Saw an interesting read about Urea. If it's correct, that's gonna get REAL interesting.
What did you read about cow piss pellets? Run hydrogen off of them? When I contracted snow clearing I spread Urea rather than salt, per customer's request. Easier in the concrete

The writing I'm reading on the wall says Union Pacific needs to pick up the pace and hire on the amount of help they need to be capable of doing their job moving our products, rather than demand that less product be moved

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:40 PM   #22
Low Elco

Not the pellet part, the DEF part. Can't run late model stuff without it, and supplies are gettin' short. UP is part of the problem, but not all of it. Don't wish to go further without turning this whole deal, but interesting stuff out there to read. Russia and china problems are causing a problem with it, apparently.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:15 AM   #23
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Unfortunately, many mfgs have to eat the fuel surcharges. I quote a project today based on vender quoted material's cost, including shipping costs of the day. We order raw materials / purchase parts throughout the manufacturing process. Most projects take 6-12 weeks to build and ship. Every dollar of fuel surcharge assessed to what my vendors ship is a direct hit to my profits.

Don't get me wrong...I understand the surcharges. But, they ain't all getting passed on.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
Unfortunately, many mfgs have to eat the fuel surcharges. I quote a project today based on vender quoted material's cost, including shipping costs of the day. We order raw materials / purchase parts throughout the manufacturing process. Most projects take 6-12 weeks to build and ship. Every dollar of fuel surcharge assessed to what my vendors ship is a direct hit to my profits.

Don't get me wrong...I understand the surcharges. But, they ain't all getting passed on.
It's tough. How are you supposed to operate a business when the cost everything keeps getting jacked up on you before you can finish a job?

These prices are killing small business. I have friends that had good strong businesses and are now trying to keep afloat by working out of their garage.
These are hard working people. It's painful to watch them get strangled.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #25
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

That's an issue with the project I am working on at work right now. It's a huge job, with multiple phases, that was originally bid/contracted 2 years ago. A whole lot of things have changed since then, material costs, labor costs, fuel for delivery to the site, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote