The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
jmccully

'72 Cheyenne Super-My 1st build

This will be my first c10 project. This build will be the exact opposite pace as delmo or dino .
I've been looking long and hard for a 64-66, but I came across this one not far from home and couldn't pass up the deal. I even received all the original paperwork/ warranty card/ etc that came with it when bought new!

Its a '72 that's been sitting in a shed for several years. Needs a few things such as carb/ headers/ exhaust/ tires/ radiator to get back on the road. It does have some rust, but overall it's in a lot better shape than most I have looked at. I'm not sure on my plans right now, other than getting it running and drive the wheels off of it
My original plans were a full porterbuilt suspension and 6.0 swap, but I don't know if I can make myself cut up this gem haha. Anyways on to what few pics I have of it right now.

jmccully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
jmccully

Re: '72 Cheyenne Super-My 1st build

Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
1972SUPERSB

Nice! Looks like it has some nice options too!

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

1998 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab 5.7, Pewter w/blue interior
1972SUPERSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Sweet truck! Looks like a nice solid start. And WELCOME!!!!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
thelonerife

Nice!
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Xeen

Oh man what a find, that's the one everyone dreams of finding, I don't think I could bring myself to cut it up either.
If you do a LS swap and a 2/4 spring drop you dont have to cut on it at all and I have a few recommendations.
If you get a Vortec you can relocate the AC compressor up top and since the stock truck exhaust manifolds will interfere with the frame you can buy TBSS stock or clone manifolds.
If you get a car LSx the AC compressor is already up top and you can run the stock manifolds.
It would be a good time to do a Vintage Air Surefit retrofit at the same time.
http://www.vintageair.com/
It would also be a good time to do CPP rear disk w/E brake.
CPP has a brand new sheet metal engine perch, this combined with their poly motor mount and LS swap engine mount plate (stock location) installation of the engine is a breeze.
You will also want to buy their tubular transmission crossmember and poly mount to complete the retrofit.
http://www.classicperform.com/
I am speaking from experience, as I recently did an LS swap into my truck and I went through a lot to figure out how to get it to work properly and I could have saved myself a lot of headaches had the new sheet metal engine perches been available when I started mine but fortunately when they came out and I went ahead and purchased them and they made the swap like pushing the easy button and I highly recommend them.
I also recommend PSI for your wiring harness, and PCM reprogram, the quality is excellent and also aids in making the swap super easy.
http://psiconversion.com/
If you need any advice at all on the LS swap please don't hessitate to contact me.
Good luck.

Last edited by Xeen; 10-06-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
jmccully

Thanks guys, and thanks for that info Xeen. That's exactly why I love this site so much lol.

Little Update.
My headers, reducers, mufflers, alternator, radiator, and hoses all came in this week. Im hoping to get all of that installed this weekend.
I was really hoping to get it running by next weekend for a little cruise in, but we will see lol. Ill have some pics to show after the weekend.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
jmccully

I made a little progress this weekend. I got everything mounted for the brakes and got the lines hooked up.
Set the radiator in place, got the headers stripped and painted, ready to go on. Removed the stock manifolds. Really, the only thing I'm waiting on to be able to crank it is the intake.
Also changed the side reflectors out to the deluxe reflectors. It's amazing what a difference something so small will make. Anyway here are a couple more pics. Not anything too exciting to show right now, but who doesn't like pictures?!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
jmccully

Update for anyone following along.
Got everything on and ready to crank it up!
Then something made me decide to take the gas tank out and empty it, and I am so glad I did!
The exterior of the tank looks brand new; the inside is the exact opposite. Every wall/ corner in the tank is covered in a film of rust and crud. So it looks like everything is on hold until I can buy a new tank.

I'm just going to go with the original style behind the seat for now. I would love to mount under the bed but not really wanting to deal with a filler neck right now until I decide which overall route I'm going with the truck.

Any recommendations on what brand tank is the best/affordable?