The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Genuine GM Part...

...made in China. And as if it matters, after China is (Mainland). I think I'd rather see Taiwan. At least they have more experience making inferior parts. Ok, I need to get with the times and numb myself out to this BS. I am sure this part is a replacement part same as any other. Any other BS GM might tell you, such as "to our standards" is BS all over again. This part is a washer pump. Here's the kicker, it is not even the same in appearance. It took looking at it a little, then I noticed the nipple comes out pointing toward the fender, not the radiator. Looked like it can be twisted enough to make it work. Then I go to stick it in the tank and the body of it is taller. I managed to squeeze and push and squeeze and push it in, finally. If that grommet ever leaks I'll be amazed. It's in there so tight I think the pump body would seal to the tank without the grommet

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-03-2022 at 07:46 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #2
Just call me Sean

Re: Genuine GM Part...

I'll take the first guess. Washer pump?
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #3
Warrens69GMC

Since it seems all automakers are outsourcing everything, doesn't suprise me...
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I'll take the first guess. Washer pump?
You got it. I don't know how I left that out. I added it in and fixed my typos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Since it seems all automakers are outsourcing everything, doesn't suprise me...
I know GM outsources parts, they always have ever since I've been around. Wheel bearings were always BCA and at some point in the early-80s BCA started having their bearings made in Japan. These were N.O.S. front wheel bearings for a '71 K/20. No revelation here with the made in China GMT400 parts, either. Twenty years ago I bought a tailgate cable at the Chevy dealer that was made in China. but it was the identical part at least. To the eye it was made to OEM specs. The difference here is I had to struggle to make it work a bit. I need to buy a longer length of hose since the new nipple location make it so the original length is too short to feed though the tab on the back of the tank now (to be as built by GM). I figure it's a cross-referenced part. Not the same it came with but can be made to work. GM's concern is to help you keep it going, not keeping the vehicle 100% correct.

When I was buying N.O.S 67-72 parts 40 years ago I would have the parts guy look up a part and if it was available I'd order one or more. I checked on steering wheels for 69-72s and they were available but only in black. makes sense since Vans still used them through '78 and in '73 steering wheels went all black. I was disappointed to see a '73 style truck wheel come in. Yes, it would work. So would a '62 Impala wheel or any other pre-airbag GM wheel across decades. That's when I started using cool car steering wheels in my short beds.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Just call me Sean

I have a steering wheel from an 85 K5 to put on my 92 G20 because I like it better, but I never put it on. I did put on a nicer 92 wheel though. I guess I can't bring myself to make it non stock.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Jeepwm69

I wrench on Honda ATV's a lot. I've noticed a lot of factory Honda parts, especially seals, are now made in chyna.

Sucks.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Uh uh uh. What next? China farm out manufacturing to Timbuktu?

I kind of figured Japan must be doing the same as we are, but didn't know for a fact. One thing I do know is I'm not seeing Japan made things for sale here like I used to before the "Made In China Crisis" . We were upset about losing so much manufacturing to Japan when that all came down. That was no big deal compared to this. Japan came to us with specific products and those won our respect. China comes in with whatever, including invasive species, and I ain't feelin' it.

Tim

Old 07-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

I can't even get a made in mexico part anymore it seems. WTF MATES?!?!?!
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote