The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #26
forestb

Re: Is patina still in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
I can't see myself owning a truck that lays frame. That being said I am building a 68' with a No-limit chassis. I think the desire to have a truck that handles better than the original will always be a thing.
I agree but people might get tired of lower than stock trucks. Who knows in the future everyone might want a truck that feels just like it did in 1965 and all the original straight 6 engines will skyrocket in value. I'm still waiting to get a hover conversion.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #27
kxmotox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I agree but people might get tired of lower than stock trucks. Who knows in the future everyone might want a truck that feels just like it did in 1965 and all the original straight 6 engines will skyrocket in value. I'm still waiting to get a hover conversion.
My LWB coil spring 68 rode like I was on a cloud. Didn't stop or turn real well... but felt like it was floating.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:18 PM   #28
AcampoDave

Every fad gets taken to an extreme. For instance 17" wheels were cool, then people just kept trying to outdo the previous and we get to wheels that are so large that they become impractical. Same with lowering. But at least with that there is a limiting factor....the ground. Even Facebook, that once upon a time cool little site for college kids has peaked out into a monster and is now on the decline.

People now buy jeans with ready made holes in them, so once you see them deliberately creating patina on late model rides, I'd say you can pretty much determine that the fad is ending.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-21-2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
jibs

Real patina is still in around here, always will be if you really drive your truck. Here a picture of my 65 with real 67 year old Texas patina.
Attached Images

jibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #30
short&wide65

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Original paint will always be in demand, which usually comes with some level of patina/wear. You just can't replicate original once it's been lost.
Agreed. Only original paint patina is desirable to me. Even then there are some original paint patina trucks I like and some I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I feel like the same thing is happening with laying frame. Now everyone wants auto cross.
Autocross is a lot of fun. I've been doing it for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmotox247 View Post
I can't see myself owning a truck that lays frame. That being said I am building a 68' with a No-limit chassis. I think the desire to have a truck that handles better than the original will always be a thing.
Same here. I'm not doing the full No Limit chassis due to budget as I have a full prep Miata that will still be faster than my 65 even if I doubled my budget. I'm building my 65 for fun not to be nationally competitive.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #31
dmulally

I have a patina because I keep dragging home stupid projects to get around to painting it.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #32
Blazer Steve

Original paint Patina.... for sure... Never a fan of the painted wannabes
Attached Images

Blazer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #33
SCOTI

Don't be haters or divisive within the hobby.

Patina on an old truck is cool whether it's legit or faux. Just like anything in life, quality between two comparable items can be different which is eerily similar to opinions. 'This-way' or 'That-way' isn't the only way & that's what's important.

Whatever each individual wants for his ride to keep it safely on the road works.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #34
Blazer Steve

SCOTI well said... I've seen some of the ugliest trucks in my life.... TO ME they were ugly, to the owner it was their style... Just like I am sure purists HATE what I have done to my truck! I could care less! Even though I am not a fan of painted patina, I still realize the work that goes into that particular job, and respect it.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:32 PM   #35
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer Steve View Post
SCOTI well said... I've seen some of the ugliest trucks in my life.... TO ME they were ugly, to the owner it was their style... Just like I am sure purists HATE what I have done to my truck! I could care less! Even though I am not a fan of painted patina, I still realize the work that goes into that particular job, and respect it.
The way its going in my neck of the woods, the bigger question is; "Are classic cars/trucks still in?"

Sure people still give you a thumbs up on the road but my fellow enthusiasts are dropping out little by little. Some for budgetary reasons, some have left CA, some have become discouraged with the amount of maintenance needed to keep an old ride in "ready to roll" form, and others have simply aged out or cashed out.

Now that the price of a C-10 and all the other old iron that used to be seen in abundance has become prohibitive for many newcomers, the younger crowds "classics" have come from the factory with fuel injection. It's easy, (ahem) as an old guy, to pass many of those cars off as disposable crap, and I read stuff like that in the comments section of Hagery news aricles. But, those of us fortunate enough to afford the more expensive metal in this hobby would be ill advised to snub any fellow enthusiasts based solely on their ride as we are fast becoming the "old guys" with the cool 40' and 50's iron at the cruise nites of our youth. Those guys and those cars have all but vanished now and we are driving off into that same sunset ourselves.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-30-2022 at 06:54 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #36
SCOTI

Quote:
Well said right back @ 'ya....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #37
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
The way its going in my neck of the woods, the bigger question is; "Are classic cars/trucks still in?"

Sure people still give you a thumbs up on the road but my fellow enthusiasts are dropping out little by little. Some for budgetary reasons, some have left CA, some have become discouraged with the amount of maintenance needed to keep an old ride in "ready to roll" form, and others have simply aged out or cashed out.

Now that the price of a C-10 and all the other old iron that used to be seen in abundance has become prohibitive for many newcomers, the younger crowds "classics" have from the factory with fuel injection. It's easy, (ahem) as an old guy, to pass many of those cars off as disposable crap, and I read stuff like that in the comments section of Hagery news aricles. But, those of us fortunate enough to afford the more expensive metal in this hobby would be ill advised to snub any fellow enthusiasts based solely on their ride as we are fast becoming the "old guys" with the cool 40' and 50's iron at the cruise nites of our youth. Those guys and those cars have all but vanished now and we are driving off into that same sunset ourselves.
I think it also has to do with what were the cool cars in your high school parking lot that you always wanted but never could afford. Now that they have gotten old and become affordable that is what starts to get restored. I am starting to see more and more late 90's pickups getting restored and 80's cars that no body would even look twice at. I know for a while the 60-66's were the trucks you restored if you could not afford a 50's or a 67-74 or so truck. Just think of square body c10s. The junk yards were full of those things and now people are asking 10 grand for log bed c20's.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #38
Blazer Steve

AcampoDave... Great point... and trust me I am an (ahem) old guy too.... birth year truck! and stock OGs are my total favorite... and though I can NOW afford it, I have always been a lowered car kind of guy! I steer away from repaints...rust doesnt scare me... and LS makes my skin crawl! But I also understand that not everyone agrees with me and my style... would never discourage or try to sway the younger crowd from their style or thought of style...LOL... anyone who enjoys the C10.. or old car for that case.. is all right with me!
Old 11-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #39
SCOTI

Quote:
AcampoDave... Great point... and trust me I am an (ahem) old guy too.... birth year truck! and stock OGs are my total favorite... and though I can NOW afford it, I have always been a lowered car kind of guy! I steer away from repaints...rust doesnt scare me... and LS makes my skin crawl! But I also understand that not everyone agrees with me and my style... would never discourage or try to sway the younger crowd from their style or thought of style...LOL... anyone who enjoys the C10.. or old car for that case.. is all right with me!
How about spillin the beans on that little red patina project you posted the pic of ?? 😏😁😎
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-01-2022, 12:42 AM   #40
forestb

I just don’t like any truck that is cooler than mine
Old 12-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #41
Blazer Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
How about spillin the beans on that little red patina project you posted the pic of ?? 😏😁😎
Mine? Started life as a C30, 1/2 ton frame built w Velaworks slam kit, spindles, all paint will be cut and buffed after 2 small fender patches are done w factory color panels. White trim stripe will be resprayed. Possibly Satin clear, haven't gotten there yet. Interior will all be cut and buffed and stock. Will go Snowden seat once the stock one drives me nuts, but the truck only has 68k orig miles and the orig seat has some cool features as it was on a cattle ranch and the PO stitched in a cowboy lassoing a calf, and is funky enough to be shown off for a bit. 4wheel disc brakes, Wildwood 8' black out Master cyl and booster, all under hood is getting powdercoated satin black, frt grille and bumper will be powdercoat fact white, Boyd tank for future upgrade, but have a mildly built 350 and 700r. Tinworks trans and rear training arm crossmembers so exhaust can be ran inside frame. 22" Transits that will be repainted shortly adding the white outer ring w 30 series tires...Almost lays rockers, but dont want to swap out frt crossmember quite yet... will do vintage air down the road, cause I am WAY down the rabbit hole now and want it street ready by March!
Old 12-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #42
SCOTI

Quote:
Mine? Started life as a C30, 1/2 ton frame built w Velaworks slam kit, spindles, all paint will be cut and buffed after 2 small fender patches are done w factory color panels. White trim stripe will be resprayed. Possibly Satin clear, haven't gotten there yet. Interior will all be cut and buffed and stock. Will go Snowden seat once the stock one drives me nuts, but the truck only has 68k orig miles and the orig seat has some cool features as it was on a cattle ranch and the PO stitched in a cowboy lassoing a calf, and is funky enough to be shown off for a bit. 4wheel disc brakes, Wildwood 8' black out Master cyl and booster, all under hood is getting powdercoated satin black, frt grille and bumper will be powdercoat fact white, Boyd tank for future upgrade, but have a mildly built 350 and 700r. Tinworks trans and rear training arm crossmembers so exhaust can be ran inside frame. 22" Transits that will be repainted shortly adding the white outer ring w 30 series tires...Almost lays rockers, but dont want to swap out frt crossmember quite yet... will do vintage air down the road, cause I am WAY down the rabbit hole now and want it street ready by March!
Pancaked front x-member gets you closer while not opening a complete additional Can-o-Worms. You should post-up a build thread in the 60-66 section. Sounds like some good stuff going on 😎
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG