The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
cwcarpenter98

Making a stock height truck handle a little better

Please forgive me if this has already been answered in another thread. If so, please direct me to that.

After reading through the over 2,000 post "make it handle" thread a bit and gathering some info, I have a question or two.

Has anyone tried some of this stuff on a stock height truck? I see a ton of info related to drop spindles and such, but I'm not planning on lowering my truck. I do want it to handle a little better than stock though.

Current set up: Factory, 63 front and rear suspension. Squarebody disc brakes from ball joints out. Manual steering. I think the camber, caster, and toe is all pretty much stock. Added 1 1/4" front sway bar from Squarebody. No rear sway bar at the moment, but was thinking about adding one.
In the next couple of months, I'll be installing 15X8 steelies, 30x9.5 tires, and stock hubcaps. Currently have 15x8 truck rallies, 255/70 tires

From what I've read so far, it's looking like I need to do a caster and camber mod to help out with the handling. Will switching the upper ball joints to the bottom of the A arm for the "tall" ball joint effect be worth-wile for more negative camber? I think I'm at about 0* camber right now. Would like to have close to -.5*

On the caster, is the best way to get a least a little more than stock to drill the different locating notch?

Thank you!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote