The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #76
mr48chev

Re: What is unique about your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
yeah, nothing to see there.... are you kidding?!?! you have a build thread for that one?
This is one of the great old threads on this board as it reminds us wile a lot of things are the same on our trucks a lot of things are still different.

No I don't have a build thread yet even three years later because there hasn't been a lot of actual progress made on the truck except a few ideas have been added and a few have been thrown out. That doesn't mean I haven't spent a lot of money on it though"

Since the thread started:

My buddy gave me a 68 292 for the truck.
For that truck I have bought:
Aussie speed 4 barrel intake,
12 bolt Tom finned aluminum valve cover and side cover
Finned aluminum air cleaner off Ebay.
Langdon's cast headers.
Motor mounts for the six from Chassis engineering inc on their close out sale before they sold the company.
Instrument panel that fits the dash I pulled out of the first car I ever owned when I replaced that dash with a donor dash and instrument panel. You will have to wait until the time comes before seeing what it is though.
Donor truck for the Dakota front suspension.That goes with the Industrial Chassis crossmember which is the next purchase as soon as I sell some left overs off.
Trans = undecided but my left knee is running around with protest signs asking for an automatic.
Rear = nine inch Ford. Truck will mess with the tire store kids minds as it will run a Ford 5 on 5-1/2 lug bolt pattern.

Frame = 1/2 ton longbed GMC frame I have had for over 20 years. Looks the same as a short bed frame but is 9-1/4 inches longer.

Cab will be stretched 9-1/4 inches though the doors, Chopped about 3-1/2 and sectioned about 3 inches. Outside of the stretch the exact chop and section will be decided by getting the proportions right.

15 inch steel wheels with full hubcaps and wide whites. Tires will be the last thing to be bought for the truck before it hits it's fist show.

As for the interior I was originally planning on a pair of buckets I have had stashed away but lately am thinking that a bench seat would be a lot better in it.
I took two photos off the net and did the scissors and tape photo shop method. I can't decide if I want to slant the posts as I did with the old cab or leave the posts in their original position and go that way. Not slanting the posts means a whole lot less work though. The truck with the white walls is the well known Cole Porter Salinas Boys truck, the other one is one from Rock Island Wa that is pretty nifty in it's own right both with the cut and tape mods.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #77
Dan in Pasadena

I’m tempted to say nothing is all that unique about my ‘55. But I suppose the LQ4/4l85e tranny, 4 wheel power disc brakes, power steering and air conditioning count for somewhat unique. Even in these days of guys doing all sorts of stuff to their vintage trucks my power train is a little unique...I guess.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #78
capnduane

My 55 2nd has a Pontiac 400 engine. Edelbrock 600 carb, and some kind of hot cam. Muncie close ratio 4 speed. Hauls the mail! The Pontiac was in it when I bought it. The PO told me the owner before him got the engine out of a '69 Firebird. Fits in the bay and looks like it grew there. Don't have a clue how many miles on it, so I mostly Granny drive it. Have not heard of, or seen another truck with a Poncho in it? Truck was built in Los Angeles and had a 265 V/8 from the factory. EDIT: Bigwin 59 posted his truck back about 2015, and he has a 389 Pontiac in it. :<)
Attached Images

Last edited by capnduane; 01-28-2018 at 08:05 PM.
capnduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #79
mr48chev

If it was a GMC the Pontiac would be a more natural fit than a SBC for a 55/59 truck. A lot of younger people don't know it but in the early 60's a lot of TRI 5 Chevy cars had the small blocks or six cylinder engines pulled out and 389 or 421 Pontiacs or 364 or 401 Buicks put in them as outside of the 348 and 409 there were no big blocks and it was far more expensive in early 60's $$ to hop up a small block to the power a 389 put out. That pretty well ended in the mid 60's with the Big block Chevy engines and the 327 that could be built to put out some real horsepower.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #80
Black_Sheep

Probably the most unique thing is the instrument cluster I made...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #81
svr

My 235 6 banger on C4 running gear is what makes mine a bit unique.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #82
oldman3

I guess mine being a roadsters, makes it a little unique...Jim

Sorry, I forgot I already posted on here before.
Attached Images

Last edited by oldman3; 01-29-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: posting twice
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 AM   #83
59GMCApache

My wheels and patina.
Attached Images

59GMCApache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #84
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59GMCApache View Post
My wheels and patina.

Did I see this for sale on Instagram today?
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 AM   #85
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnduane View Post
My 55 2nd has a Pontiac 400 engine. Edelbrock 600 carb, and some kind of hot cam. Muncie close ratio 4 speed. Hauls the mail! The Pontiac was in it when I bought it. The PO told me the owner before him got the engine out of a '69 Firebird. Fits in the bay and looks like it grew there. Don't have a clue how many miles on it, so I mostly Granny drive it. Have not heard of, or seen another truck with a Poncho in it? Truck was built in Los Angeles and had a 265 V/8 from the factory. EDIT: Bigwin 59 posted his truck back about 2015, and he has a 389 Pontiac in it. :<)
Bad Ass!! I actually follwed a guy home who drove through my neighborhood in a yellow 55 GMC TF. He was new to the area, and when he popped the hood I saw a green Pontiac beast in there with tri-power! Then the garage opens and there sits a classic Firebird.

But I need not go any further than my own garage for a Poncho... my 59 GMC Fleetside came with a 336 straight from the factory (=
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #86
59GMCApache

Quote:
Did I see this for sale on Instagram today?
Not for sale I just got them back from the chrome shop.
59GMCApache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #87
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
You get my vote. What’s the old saying, “like putting an elevator in an outhouse....”

LOL
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:51 AM   #88
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
No I don't have a build thread yet even three years later because there hasn't been a lot of actual progress made on the truck except a few ideas have been added and a few have been thrown out.
Have we told you how much we appreciate your consistently informative participation on this forum?
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #89
mr48chev

Thanks MPC, much appreciated. I try to give honest well thought out or researched answers that work.

You won't see a build thread until I actually have some progress to show. First I have to build a shop and do some repairs around the place that i have been putting off doing though. The shop won't give anyone shop envy for sure as it will be a very basic 28x30 work space with a sliding barn door, cement floor and lights and plug ins with a wood stove or oil stove for heat.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 AM   #90
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Thanks MPC, much appreciated. I try to give honest well thought out or researched answers that work.

You won't see a build thread until I actually have some progress to show. First I have to build a shop and do some repairs around the place that i have been putting off doing though. The shop won't give anyone shop envy for sure as it will be a very basic 28x30 work space with a sliding barn door, cement floor and lights and plug ins with a wood stove or oil stove for heat.

I have half of a 2 car garage.. I'm storing the front clip in the truck bed right now, and I cant pull the cab off because there is nowhere to put it afterwards. I removed the door so i could access the inside... opening the door wouldn't be enough room. So consider me envious!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #91
MARTINSR

I am so fighting with this space thing right now. You see I am looking to buy a new house in another state to retire to and the garage thing is a HUGE issue. With the price range and the area I want...two car garages, and a small shed in the back. Very little side yard access for my little trailer (made out of my dads 55 F100 bed I grew up riding in). Then out of the area I want same price, three car garage and sheds in the back yard with no problem access. It's driving me out of my mind!

I don't think I am going to have any big projects in my future, I just don't see it. And I hope to have my truck a roller at the very least by the time I move, but DAAAAAMN I would love to have that three car garage!

I am going out of my mind with this decision.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #92
solidaxel

What stat are you moving to ?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #93
J48chevy

Well what is unique about mine is that after almost 5 years I am still not finished. Haha. Hoping this is the year I can complete it.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:01 PM   #94
b-mac

Quote:
I have half of a 2 car garage.. I'm storing the front clip in the truck bed right now, and I cant pull the cab off because there is nowhere to put it afterward. I removed the door so i could access the inside... opening the door wouldn't be enough room. So consider me envious!
That's where I started too. Looking back at pics, I'm lucky I didn't burn the house down.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #95
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
Definitely unique and cool!

It's hard to make AD trucks unique, mostly because there's just so stinking many of them! Virtually every car show on TV has featured one, or has one or two in the background.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #96
slck57

Not really unique anymore but I am excited about putting a 55 dash in mine.
Attached Images

slck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #97
gigamanx

Grandpas old wrench for a shifter. He engraved all his tools so as not to lose them at work.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #98
vintovka

I built a 24 x36 garage specifically for mine 2 years ago. Site conditions and some rookie errors have come back to haunt me. If I had it to do over again I would have opted for 18' wide rollup door instead of 16' Going 30' wide instead of 24' and reducing ventilation to a minimum would have been nice as well. . 18' door would ease access problems in both pulling in two vehicles side by side (and opening doors while in the garage). Having another 2' on either side would be great for tool/parts storage. I also would have opted for all LED shop lights instead of florescent. If i could enclose the work area i could use a stove to heat the area on cold winter/rainy days. I added over ventilation having come from a very hot climate and didn't think.

I did have foresight to add a rain drip ledge in the floor under the rollup and a full 8' door for clearance. The 36' depth does allow large vehicles to pull in far enough for access all the way around and enough room at the back for tools and stuff. Liberal outlets on walls and ceiling are good as well as a 220 outlet for welding/compressor AND to carefully use for an emergency generator. Wireless alarms are a comfort too.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #99
whitedog76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Grandpas old wrench for a shifter. He engraved all his tools so as not to lose them at work.

Love the shifter. I wanted some of my Dad's wrenches with his initials engraved on them. He retired a few years ago and auctioned off his shop. Evidently, I was asleep at the wheel when they went on the auction block.

BTW. What's the tunnel from?

Chris
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #100
CountofMonteCarlo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
What state are you moving to ?
+1, if you are coming to Florida, I have to get you in the Central Florida Classic Truck Club. BTW, am I permitted to make a post about a regional truck club on this forum?
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote