The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Hayseed4

A boy and his 1972 fleetside restoration

So, I suppose I should start at the beginning of my truck project, but if you are interested in the pictures please scroll down. A few years ago I was living in Utah and was looking for a decent truck to use while fixing my house. I was interested in the older trucks from the 40's to the 60's. To be perfectly honest I was not even looking at a 67-72 truck, but I found a 72 Chevy fleetside with new tires intake manifold, carburetor, top end work and minimal rust for $1200. Pretty reasonable since it ran and didn't need any work so I bought it. Other than that I didn't know anything about these types of trucks.

After driving the truck for a while it really started to grow on me and I decided that I wanted to keep it and do a restoration. I started with a few repairs by trading some work on a 1950 60KW generator for some welding work with a friend. Just saw I had the truck almost all apart, I was noted that I needed to move to Indiana for my job so I quickly reassembled the truck to move it across the country. I then drove it for about a year before I was able to start the restoration earlier this summer.

Unfortunately I don't have the original SPID for the truck, but I am pretty sure everything but the engine and steering wheel are original

Here are the specs for the truck so far.

Badges Custom Deluxe C20 with a 350 (current 350 is out of a van according to the engine ID)
TH350 transmission
4 season AC (non functional)
Bedside toolbox (door needs some work)
Either dealer installed or RV dealer installed KH electric brake setup (still functional and marked '71)
Aftermarket Auxiliary fuel tank and valve from Colorado Leisure products. Tank was missing when I got it.
Step and tow bumper that can be adjusted farther back from the truck and was added after the truck was purchased.
Camper wiring harness I think. It was modified for a regular 4 pin trailer light connection
Heavy Leaf springs
Dana 60 rear end
Color medium green.

I am looking to get all of the stuff above working and add the following
Factory aux fuel tank. I picked one up in the junk yard for $50 with the filler neck. Unfortunately the sending unit switch is missing.
Aux Battery and wiring
I currently have a 1970's Teaberry CB that matches the truck interior colors.
ARB locker for the rear end.

Anyway on with pictures. If anyone can make suggestions on what would look good or anything else let the comments begin.
Attached Images

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 09-20-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: wtb edit
Hayseed4 is offline   Reply With Quote