The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #576
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

So I go into Hobby Lobby to find some hard card stock for making template for body work and guess what i find?!?! Dangit.... had to buy it, then paints, glues and such... lol but to get a good idea of what the truck will look like when i am done, worth it. I have a good imagination but to have a small version of it to hold, turn and such... plus i like putting models together.
Attached Images

John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #577
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

That's a cool find at the Hobby Lobby!

Do you have a Sam's Club or maybe a Costco in your area? For template material, since I shop at my local Sam's, I get card stock for my template material for free. The large pallets they get in of their paper towels, toilet paper and such have "slip sheets" between the layers of the tacks of paper towels. Some of these sheets are about like poster board, some are a bit thinker and constructed out of a thin corrugated cardboard sheet. The sheets are not always the same size, but in general are about 42"-48" x 42"-48". Best part is they are FREE. I usually pick up 4-10 of these each time I go if I am low on my stock at home.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #578
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
That's a cool find at the Hobby Lobby!

Do you have a Sam's Club or maybe a Costco in your area? For template material, since I shop at my local Sam's, I get card stock for my template material for free. The large pallets they get in of their paper towels, toilet paper and such have "slip sheets" between the layers of the tacks of paper towels. Some of these sheets are about like poster board, some are a bit thinker and constructed out of a thin corrugated cardboard sheet. The sheets are not always the same size, but in general are about 42"-48" x 42"-48". Best part is they are FREE. I usually pick up 4-10 of these each time I go if I am low on my stock at home.
Really?! That is cool! I am going to Costco in a few hours with my mother, i will be looking!! Thanks for the idea, that is alot cheaper than buying them. I will be SO HAPPY to be done with body work!! lol I really suck at it and well just want to get the truck back together.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #579
88Stanger

So Update:

Finally got all the bed stuff in, new sides, sills, braces tailgate and front along with a few other parts. I have a frieking storage shed full of parts to go on. Just waiting to get the dang body work done, which hopefully this weekend the cab is done, in primer. At least the first go with primer. What a journey so far. I got the holes in the roof fixed from antenna or something and the one bigger dent pulled and mudded up, and then as i was sanding the rest of the roof panel, i noticed a few hidden dents in the front!!! DAMNIT!! lol oh well, i they are very small and so little dent pulling and some light filler, all taken care of... knock on wood. LOL

I was watching Finnigan garage and the C-10 he just built, DAMN that is bad arse!! Love it, move over i really like the Wirecare company that sponsored him. I checked out their stuff and i really like it. Interested in the fire proof covering for my fuel lines. Anyways, really cool watch though.

Ok, well out to the garage to do, yet you guessed it, more sanding.... lol
Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #580
Paul Y

The reason why my build is 'as is' on the body work is I hate sanding!

Looking forward to a pictorial update - hope to have my frame brace in place over the next few weeks so will update you on my thoughts.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #581
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
The reason why my build is 'as is' on the body work is I hate sanding!

Looking forward to a pictorial update - hope to have my frame brace in place over the next few weeks so will update you on my thoughts.

P.
Ya, i so know the feeling on sanding. My intake air filter on my mini-split in shop is just full in a week of sanding.. crazy

I am excited to see what you think of the brace.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #582
88Stanger

ok, where in the heck do these very small dent demons come from!?! I get all the rust fixed in the cab, started to repair the "obvious" dents and such and started the overall sanding to lay down the first coat of high build primer and after halfway of sanding i find two very small but "obvious" dents, like they were hiding in plain sight!!! LOL Oh well just more filler but i honestly can see the light at the end of this tunnel!!! feels exciting and re-energizing...
Question to the body guys and/or painters... what grit of sandpaper do you use right before you re-Prime? In other words i am currently on bare metal that was sandblasted with no rust. So i am using say 120 just to take off the roughness of the bare metal then finish with 220. After that i will use a high build primer/sealer and then start the process of using my dry Guide Coat and level everything out. Then right before 2nd coat of primer, what grit of paper are you using?
Then after it is primed for how many times it takes to get it flat, what grit are you using on the primer before you paint?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #583
Paul Y

Just as an FYI -threw the brace into Woody today to test fit and give myself a Mojo Boost.

What a great bit of kit the brace is. Really well made and all the bolt holes lined up once I used a little brute force and a ratchet strap!

Any update pictures your end?

P.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #584
88Stanger

Quote:
Just as an FYI -threw the brace into Woody today to test fit and give myself a Mojo Boost.

What a great bit of kit the brace is. Really well made and all the bolt holes lined up once I used a little brute force and a ratchet strap!

Any update pictures your end?

P.
That is Awesome! Glad you like it. I had to do the same thing as i think overtime the frames tweak a bit, hence 1 reason for the brace.

I would post pics, but all they are is some pics of the cab in various stages of body work. I have it just about done though! I was really excited yesterday to get it right to the point of primer, but the call of reality hit and i had to do a bunch of yard work and well "Zoey" proof the yard, closing off potential escape openings, as she loves people almost to much, so that kinda put a damper on my get the truck to primer stage, but it will be there this weekend for sure! Then it will be just some minor cream filler in areas where my body skills suck and show up in the dry guide coat stage. BUT i am getting closer. I need to get moved on for my excitement but also to clean out my damn storage!! LOL

FYI - Zoey is my little (Queen) 15 week old Boston Terrier who unlike her much larger and calmer brother loves to play and run around.... well at least for 30 min or so then its nap time.... lol
Old 04-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #585
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
That is Awesome! Glad you like it. I had to do the same thing as i think overtime the frames tweak a bit, hence 1 reason for the brace.

I would post pics, but all they are is some pics of the cab in various stages of body work. I have it just about done though! I was really excited yesterday to get it right to the point of primer, but the call of reality hit and i had to do a bunch of yard work and well "Zoey" proof the yard, closing off potential escape openings, as she loves people almost to much, so that kinda put a damper on my get the truck to primer stage, but it will be there this weekend for sure! Then it will be just some minor cream filler in areas where my body skills suck and show up in the dry guide coat stage. BUT i am getting closer. I need to get moved on for my excitement but also to clean out my damn storage!! LOL

FYI - Zoey is my little (Queen) 15 week old Boston Terrier who unlike her much larger and calmer brother loves to play and run around.... well at least for 30 min or so then its nap time.... lol
Hear you on the Doggo proofing the garden. Had to spend some time on Sunday repairing the fence where my year old monster had managed to pull the chicken wire back enough to make good her escape.

I am lucky to have quite a large garage, well for the uk anyway but have very little room to work on Woody with his cab, front clip and bed taking up 2/3rds of the available space. Plus, I am not the tidiest of people when it comes to working in the garage....

Hope that you get the body work done soon and start driving you truck, looking for some real world feedback on how effective the brace is.

P.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #586
88Stanger

Ok Gentlemen, I was able to sell the Harley to a close friend. He got a good deal and is happy, i am happy that it has a good home and well i have new room in my garage now.

so, with that said, i am toying with getting a different EFI system, the MSD Atomic 2. I really like this look of it, function is very close to the Holly setup, MSD is owned by Holly, i have all MSD ignition stuff so i would like to stick with the same manufacture.

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #587
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Ok Gentlemen, I was able to sell the Harley to a close friend. He got a good deal and is happy, i am happy that it has a good home and well i have new room in my garage now.

so, with that said, i am toying with getting a different EFI system, the MSD Atomic 2. I really like this look of it, function is very close to the Holly setup, MSD is owned by Holly, i have all MSD ignition stuff so i would like to stick with the same manufacture.

Thoughts?
Congrats on selling the Harley!

I looked at the Atomic 2 along with the Sniper when I was deciding what EFI to replace the FiTech. Since they are both owned by Holley, I was talking to my Holley customer service rep about the differences between the Sniper and Atomic 2. He said they tune the same, the only difference is the Atomic 2 has a fuel transducer which is a good thing and the Atomic 2 has to run a separate fuel regulator since it is not built into the system. The Sniper has a fuel regulator but not the transducer...I do like the fact you can get fuel pressure readings on the handheld of the Atomic 2. The only reason I went with the Sniper over the Atomic 2 was my fuel lines were already setup for a system with built in fuel regulator...so it was easier I do like the look of the Atomic 2. The handheld looks identical to the Sniper as well...I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 AM   #588
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Congrats on selling the Harley!

I looked at the Atomic 2 along with the Sniper when I was deciding what EFI to replace the FiTech. Since they are both owned by Holley, I was talking to my Holley customer service rep about the differences between the Sniper and Atomic 2. He said they tune the same, the only difference is the Atomic 2 has a fuel transducer which is a good thing and the Atomic 2 has to run a separate fuel regulator since it is not built into the system. The Sniper has a fuel regulator but not the transducer...I do like the fact you can get fuel pressure readings on the handheld of the Atomic 2. The only reason I went with the Sniper over the Atomic 2 was my fuel lines were already setup for a system with built in fuel regulator...so it was easier I do like the look of the Atomic 2. The handheld looks identical to the Sniper as well...I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
I was hoping you had so great info and you did not disappoint!! thank you for the info!! i really appreciate it. since my system is not yet in and setup, i want to go with the atomic 2 to match all my other MSD stuff.
Thanks again...
Old 04-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #589
88Stanger

so, I am now doing the final fit for the doors before I seal the cab... what a pain in the butt!!! brand new re-pop doors... i know they never fit as shown and yep.... they do not.. lol oh well that is why they make a grinder and welder... lol
Any hints are welcome!! getting doors aligned properly
Old 04-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #590
roll_the_dice

Quote:
I was hoping you had so great info and you did not disappoint!! thank you for the info!! i really appreciate it. since my system is not yet in and setup, i want to go with the atomic 2 to match all my other MSD stuff.
Thanks again...
Glad I could help! My misery with Fitech should benefit someone LOL
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #591
88Stanger

Ok, so i found out something... when you install lower door replacement panels on the cab, it is a good idea to test fit the doors before final weld up. Take it from me, this is very valuable to do, I am finding out the hard way. Just because you install the replacement panel in the same exact place, at the same "height" as original.... ya do not count on that. Do a test fit!
I tried and tried to get the doors to fit and nothing was working. Then after a few hours of saying a few words that required me to ask for some forgiveness... i discovered that if i just lower the rear panel i installed 3/16" of inch or so that "POOF" the door fits great! LOL So again, take it from me, do a test fit!! By the way, both are the same, one worse than the other.
With that said, The new re-pop doors look good, fit ok, but needed a bit of help on the door edge that is at the back of the Pass. door. It had a bit of a large gap that was easily fixed with 1/8" Tig Welding rod welded on and ground to fit, add a small amount to filler and looks great.
So now Pass. door is good and ready, now I need to work on the Drivers side. not near as off as the Pass. door, but just the adjustment to the lower door area on the cab replacement part and it will too be good.
So my "feels like never ending" cab repair, fix and get ready for sealer is still moving forward, but Damn WHAT A PAIN!! LOL Actually it has been a great learning experience. Hopefully someone can gain something good from my "learning experiences".
Pics coming....
Old 04-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #592
Paul Y

Learning from your mistakes is good.

Learning from others is priceless....

Looking forward to the pictures.

P.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #593
88Stanger

Quote:
Learning from your mistakes is good.

Learning from others is priceless....

Looking forward to the pictures.

P.
LOL yep that is the way.... sometimes you are the one learning from others and sometimes you are the others.....
Old 04-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #594
88Stanger

Ok, so here is an update of the pics that i took of the re-pop door and fitament... it is not exact, but neither am i, but it is close. First set are how it was at first.. then the next are me adding welding rod to fill the gap...
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #595
88Stanger

Start to filling the gap.. .By the way this after i adjusted the lower door area that i replaced some time ago... had to lower it a bit....
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #596
88Stanger

here is the beginning process of adding the welding rod... and yes i am not that good of a welder... lol
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #597
88Stanger

here is the last of the what i have done so far...
now off to the other side which too needs to be dropped but no where as bad as this side... so it will be harder i assume... lol
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #598
88Stanger

lol found this above the drivers door on the cab... lol
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #599
Metaldoc

Nice job on the whole project so far, keep it up. Love the tri-Y headers, you don't see the effort it takes to build these trucks after you open the worm can.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #600
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
Nice job on the whole project so far, keep it up. Love the tri-Y headers, you don't see the effort it takes to build these trucks after you open the worm can.
Thank you, i appreciate that.
It is sort of funny. So I built my 69 C10 from the ground up also, but no where near this in-depth, or costly. lol I tell people that you can do these trucks for a very moderate amount of $$ or you can really go nuts and spend $$$$$ on them and I feel as I am somewhere in the middle. But the work involved also depends on as you said, how much you open the worm can.... lol