The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
twotrucks

Door latch adjustment

I'm having trouble with adjusting my door latches. Heres the situation:
you can push and pull on the door after it is closed and locked and it moves 1/8-1/4". I thought maybe it was my latch but I just bought new ones and still have same problem; may even be slightly worse. I do not have the weatherstrip installed, does that matter?
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Door latch adjustment

Have you tryed to mve the door out to the ouside any ? I know that may not make sense but I have had many that have been at the end of the adjustmentment andthey would have a notch between first lacth and second and the same again goin into what would be a third notch that is not there. That is why sometimes when a door closesin and still need to go in some you have to move the latch to the outside of the truck to get it to do right. It is backwards thinking I know and it also boggles the mind but untill you do it a couple of times your self it is kinda hard to explain and describe. It is one of those thins that you have to experiance yourself and then the light comes on and you say oh yeah, that makes sense.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
twotrucks

I understand what you are saying and will try it again. I must have moved the plate a dozen times. I don't think the abscense of the weatherstrip is making any difference is it?
What also seems odd is that the toothed wheel on the catch rotates back and forth over 1/8".
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
oldspowered67C10

You really need the weatherstrip or at least the door bumpers in before you try to do final adjustment on the doors. Without it the door will move like you explained.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
twotrucks

That was what I was wondering. I'm going to retry with weatherstrip in place. Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
KyFarm

If your door latch rotating assembly will rock back an 1/8 to a 1/4 than isn't that the problem? It should only go one direction until "released" and be tight in the other direction.

I am very new at this type of work but,

I am interested in your results because I am having issues with my latch/striker plate and am also working on fixing it as well, and live in L'ville area as well!

My door latch (just above the rotating assembly) is hitting the tips of the striker plate. I have adjusted the striker plate as far down as it will go. The door latch does not seem to adjust up or down in the door. I replaced the hinge pins and bushings but that didn't seem to help and the door visually looks like it is where it should be.

So keep us posted on your results as I am looking for any help I can get....

1969 K-10, Short Step, (383HT/4L70E soon)-NP205
KyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
twotrucks

I'm not kidding about the toothed wheel movement. I got a brand new aftermarket latch and you can rock the wheel back and forth at least 1/8". It seems to me that this is some if not all the problem but I am going to try with the weatherstrip in place. I wonder if some of the part vendors know if this amount of movement in the latch is normal?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

First,open the door,then get out on the end and lift.If the door moves up and down,you will probably never get the adjustment.KyFarm,this soundslike your problem.It's likely the bushings and pin are worn in your door hinge.Usually this will occur on the drivers side most since that door generally gets used more.Just saw where you changed these,so I'm stumped.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
twotrucks

I put the weatherstrip in place and it is better.