The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2022, 03:40 AM   #26
Richard

Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

Reinstalled my own windshield with the original trim a while back. It has been years since I have done one. Painter's tape to hold the gasket and trim helps. My wife helped me get glass set on truck and I did the rest myself. I used no lubricant. If you use lubricant use one that will dry out or you will probably get leaks, glass cleaner works. A pair of decent pump up suction handles on the inside of the glass make install much easier as you can not only pull in on the glass but be able to move up, down and sideways. I spent maybe 3+ hours. Might have slight advantage as my dad had a glass business. Butyl sealant should be used at least on the top corners, especially where the seam is on the front posts. Windshield will most likely leak if not used.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #27
TALLone71

It took me about 3 hours, on the windshield too, and about 30 minutes, maybe 45, on the back glass, the windshield, is definitely more time consuming, and I agree with Richard about using the sealant, in those upper corners
TALLone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #28
71 super

This is not that bad, but you need several things to be successful: a good quality gasket, precision is about best aftermarket, OEM is better, A good helper, Weed eater line , the precision or comparable lube and a set of trim that matches the gasket- 67-70 use a deep lip trim that is easier to install, 71-72 use a shallow trim and gasket - they HAVE to match and the 71-72 is a pain in the a--. If you need sealer, typically it will be in upper and lower corners, the factory used a dum-dum type that never really hardened. The flowable type available from parts stores works well. A couple of things to remember: the new glass available is not a thick as the original so the fit is different, and this opens the opportunity for a leak. I wish i could tell you the best glass to get but they all have draw backs. As far as install, have plenty of room to work, lay out your glass on blankets on table or stands and install the rubber gasket. The trim is installed after the gasket. As said earlier, tape the gasket and trim to windshield after installing the weed eater string around perimeter. Lay blankets on hood and position yourself and the helper on either side of the truck. Set the glass into place with the bottom in the channel and work/wiggle the glass down into the channel. Move one person inside and Help the rubber across the lip of the channel if possible and begin pulling string- slowly! Do not beat or pound on the glass, use the flat portion of your palm and help it find it's seat continue to work until you get it in place. This will take you on your first time probably 1.5- 2 hours but very do able - don't over think it and remember these trucks were built on an assembly line, you can do it.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:55 PM   #29
Peanut74

Well I'm going to put the windsheild in this weekend. I want to put it in now as the interior and steering column or not installed. I figured it would are it easier to move around and work the gasket. Bedding compound is scheduled to be here tomorrow.

Going to install the back glass tomorrow if my helper is around. I have installed the back glass twice on my Toyota so it SHOULD BE easy to install.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:57 PM   #30
Jcfcamaro

I follow rad Ron's radical rides on Facebook and he builds alot of these trucks and has installed glass with the trim. I talked to him about doing it as I need to get mine installed also and the first thing he said was hire a personal , but where I live I'm pretty sure no one with want to do it or even know how. After talking for awhile he started telling me his horror stories ect ,but also told me the do's and don'ts like using a lubricant like spray can glass cleaner that will dry when your done. Also a big tip is to lay your glass on some saw horses or something flat and put your trim together and lay it on the glass by itself. If it doesn't lay flat on the glass and follow the curves ect it probably isn't going to work so you'll need to try and do what ever it takes to make it fit better ect . Allot of the new trim needs the backside holding tab cut in different places so it can be bent a hair so it will fit properly.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #31
toolboxchev

There is a very long thread about how to do one using Precision Gaskets on here. I cannot locate it right at the moment.

Did one, with a rusty cab it was a bit frustrating yet got it in. Sealing it is the problematic part as GM did have a recall on this issue.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #32
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
Another question. The videos do not show any sealant being applied to the gasket. However, the Steele pdf sheet say to apply bedding compound before installing the glass. So which is correct? If it needs the bedding compound where does everyone run the bead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
If you need sealer, typically it will be in upper and lower corners, the factory used a dum-dum type that never really hardened. The flowable type available from parts stores works well.
71 Super - Are there any pictures showing where specifically to put the sealer?
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #33
rockyrivermark

I’ve watched videos and read many posts. I’ve seen both start at bottom and start at the top.
Which worked best for you? Should help everyone following along with this thread.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:29 PM   #34
Peanut74

Well I put the rear window in and that was a bit of a PITA. It fought us the whole way. We ended up pulling it out a couple times because we thought something must not be right. Turns out we just needed to slap the crap out of it to get the glass move around so we could get the seal in. Once we were done we slapped the glass some more and gasket fully seated. Think I'm going to have to swing by the class 6 store before I start on the windsheild
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #35
Larry S

Took 2 sessions and ruined first seal but got mine in. My old man popped in at my shop. I told him I ruined first seal and couldn’t get it in. He said, be right back. Came back with vinyl covered clothes line and a bottle of dawn dish soap. We packed the groove in the seal and the pinch weld with dawn. Used the clothes line. I bought a precision seal the 2nd time. It seemed more pliable. It still wasnt a breeze but is in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #36
Larry S

Smile Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

Sorry about double post.It wouldn’t let me delete so edit and add pic
Attached Images

Last edited by Larry S; 01-28-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #37
TALLone71

on the windshield, we loaded the top in first, and pushed upward, with firm steady pressure, then started working the rope outward to the corners, then down the sides incrementally, slowly toward the bottom, as I worked the sides in, I used the windshield stick to carefully massage the rubber into place, as we made the turn in the lower corners, it definitely got tighter, and we continually kept slight upward pressure, and if I remember correctly, when we got evenly inward about 6 inches or so from the lower corners the rubber starting pulling in pretty smoothly again, the last little bit, was a bit tricky, when we got to the center, but all came out well, patience and a little bit of soapy water helped...congratulations on the back window, and good luck with the windshield!..btw, we used the precision gaskets, and they were pretty easy to work with, and look great once installed, with some flat taps, and a little working at the edges, they are perfect in appearance
TALLone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #38
71 super

D. An tyke, I will take a pic from build manual, it shows roughly top 6 inches to the corner at the top and 4 inches through the curve at the bottom corners
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 PM   #39
slikside

Subscribed for future...Great info!
Old 01-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #40
k29349

The bedding compound is 3M part #08509.

I have done windshields on old VWs and Suzuki Samurais.
I always start at the bottom on those so the weight of the glass helps seat the seal.
k29349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #41
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
D. An tyke, I will take a pic from build manual, it shows roughly top 6 inches to the corner at the top and 4 inches through the curve at the bottom corners
Would be much appreciated 71. I have 2 windshield installs in my future and the reference will a great help.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #42
Accelo

My buddy used to have a glass shop and has installed more than a few of these windows. He starts at the top. He also puts sealant in the pinch welt before he starts the install. Claims there isn't any good method to seal, the top of the cab, otherwise.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:18 PM   #43
tinman_local2

Installed my windshield today. I'd like to offer up a few tips that made it a success. First off, make 100% sure the trim is all the way in the groove. This is more important than anything. Snip some relief cuts in the trim if need be. Most of the new stuff isn't formed quite right. Start at the top pulling the rope. Work across the top to the corners, and down the sides a bit. Make sure the secondary lip is pulled in on the top before continuing down towards the bottom. Make sure the glass has pressure up on it as you work towards the bottom. Use painters tape to hold the trim corners in place and use plenty of glass cleaner as lube. Plenty of patience, if something doesn't seem right, start over. I started over 4 times. Persistence finally paid off. My seal and trim came from LMC. The rope I used was 3/16" braided nylon from Lowe's.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:18 PM   #44
Peanut74

Talking Re: Windsheild Install OOHH my!!!

Well my install has been put on hold for a week or so. I got the glass down out of the attic, gasket laid out and dug out the trim. After checking everything out I discovered that the trim was from my '71 donor and the gasket is for a '67. So it looks like a road trip to buy some trim.

The only reason I knew the trim wouldn't work with the gasket is because of the info provided by everyone, so thanks. I will get this windshield in yet!!!
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
Old 01-29-2022, 11:22 PM   #45
Accelo

Tinman.
How about some pictures. The consensus seems to be the aftermarket trim is junk. You got it to work it is at least possible. I had a ridiculous amount of $ into getting my straightened a polished. New would have been considered, and should have, I guess.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:33 AM   #46
sellersrodshop

I installed glass for a living for 25 yrs. I don’t miss it one bit! Sound from the comments here that precision has upped their quality in the past few yrs. I dealt with enough nightmares over the yrs with trim & precision gaskets on GM stuff, mainly Chevy II & C-10, that I decided to go trimless when I built my truck 20 yrs ago. After spending 6-7 hrs trying, even with other employees helping, discovered that the first gasket was 1.5” too long on the bottom. Would almost seat then pop out. Best advice is lube the crap out of the slot where the rope goes & the lip that pulls over the pinchweld, but try to keep it out of the groove where the trim goes, just makes it easier to slip out during the process. Also, on the ones with trim, the more hands available the better. I used to get one guy to move along while I was pulling the rope & his job was solely to try to keep the trim in the slot.kinda gets crowded when you have a couple other guys holding the overall assembly in place.

I’ll also add, I used to have better overall results with Steele rubber gaskets. I’ve been out of that game for 15 yrs, so hope the other manufacturers have improved their quality.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #47
tristan

I am 0 for 4 on windshield with trim installation by two different "experts" and I have bought every combination of gasket and trim out there. I have a Cheyenne and don't want to do without the windshield trim but that is where I'm headed after one more failed attempt.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #48
tinman_local2

Here you go
Attached Images

tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:27 PM   #49
Accelo

Nice job. Thanks for sharing. You are the first person, that I know of, that has installed the aftermarket chrome and it lays flat.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:01 PM   #50
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersrodshop View Post
I installed glass for a living for 25 yrs. I don’t miss it one bit! Sound from the comments here that precision has upped their quality in the past few yrs. I dealt with enough nightmares over the yrs with trim & precision gaskets on GM stuff, mainly Chevy II & C-10, that I decided to go trimless when I built my truck 20 yrs ago. After spending 6-7 hrs trying, even with other employees helping, discovered that the first gasket was 1.5” too long on the bottom. Would almost seat then pop out. Best advice is lube the crap out of the slot where the rope goes & the lip that pulls over the pinchweld, but try to keep it out of the groove where the trim goes, just makes it easier to slip out during the process. Also, on the ones with trim, the more hands available the better. I used to get one guy to move along while I was pulling the rope & his job was solely to try to keep the trim in the slot.kinda gets crowded when you have a couple other guys holding the overall assembly in place.

I’ll also add, I used to have better overall results with Steele rubber gaskets. I’ve been out of that game for 15 yrs, so hope the other manufacturers have improved their quality.
I had found the same thing, trim kept popping out. My helper pointed this out, yet could not follow through with directions.

Steele gaskets are now made by Precision, Got that intel directly from Steele, no joke.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote