The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Taylor309

Leaf Spring "Add-a-Leaf" Help

Hello All,

First post here.

I've finally gotten around to rebuilding my Dad's 71 GMC K15 4x4. I've come to the front leaf springs and he bought a Superlift 2500 & 2509 add a leafs to give the truck a slight lift. When I pulled the front leafs off (which are 2 leafs and mounted above the axle) I put it beside the add a leaf and it looks WAY off. It doesn't seem possible to get this extra leaf in the pack because of the length and arch difference. Am I missing something here? Do I have the correct "add-a-leaf" set? Summit and Jegs both said it will but i'm doubting it now. I feel at this point it would be easier to go with new lift leaf spring packs like the Tuff Country ez-ride. As you can see in the picture, the existing leaf is almost flat and the add-a-leaf has a significant arch.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I apologize if this is redundant.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Taylor309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Taylor309

Re: Leaf Spring "Add-a-Leaf" Help

Sorry about the sideways view, not really sure what happened there..
Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
toolboxchev

Very well may fit, appears it needs to be compressed. I purchased a set of Helwig Progressive overloads. Over the course of 10 years using them and then taking them off my truck sits a bit higher in the rear.

Hellwig is a great company to deal with and have been doing this for decades.

No install instructions with those? Send em back, in my mind.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's how the Add-A-Leaf lifts the truck. They serve to pull a bigger arch out of existing springs. The springs will also serve to straighten the Add-A-leaf some. You have to clamp them and the spring pack together to assemble. If you want a better ride then certainly go with the Ez-Rides

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Richard

Did the add-a-leafs come with any instructions? Looks like it should install directly under the main leaf. What I have done in the past is clamp existing spring pack and then remove the center pin, disassemble pack. Assemble spring pack with new leaf in proper location using a long bolt that will reach through all the leafs. Bolt should be fully threaded. You could also use a piece of all thread double nutted at one end to create a bolt. Draw the pack together using the bolt and a nut. Clamp pack, remove bolt and replace with new center pin. Will probably have to trim excess off of new center pin bolt.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: Leaf Spring "Add-a-Leaf" Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Did the add-a-leafs come with any instructions? Looks like it should install directly under the main leaf. What I have done in the past is clamp existing spring pack and then remove the center pin, disassemble pack. Assemble spring pack with new leaf in proper location using a long bolt that will reach through all the leafs. Bolt should be fully threaded. You could also use a piece of all thread double nutted at one end to create a bolt. Draw the pack together using the bolt and a nut. Clamp pack, remove bolt and replace with new center pin. Will probably have to trim excess off of new center pin bolt.
Perfect description for an easy way to do it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Taylor309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
It did come with the instructions but they’re pretty generic.

I picked up a piece of all thread rod, nuts, and washers about 10 minutes ago to do just that. I’ll tackle that tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #8
Richard

Great. Post an update on how the install went!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Taylor309

Update:

Pulling the springs together with all thread and clamps worked like a charm. I appreciate the help!

Here's a comparison picture of the spring with the add-a-leaf and the stock spring. Quite a difference.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #10
Fbks_Cruiser

I would have put the add a leaf between the 2 stock leaves so that they are in order longest to shortest.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
Richard2112

When I rebuilt my leafs, I cut the extra length off the bolt, leaving a small bit, and peened the end of the bolt. The nut will still come off, but not of it's own accord.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
Taylor309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
I would have put the add a leaf between the 2 stock leaves so that they are in order longest to shortest.
They are in order from shortest to longest, the middle leaf (bottom stock leaf) tapers at the end, the picture doesn't do a great job detailing that.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
Taylor309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
When I rebuilt my leafs, I cut the extra length off the bolt, leaving a small bit, and peened the end of the bolt. The nut will still come off, but not of it's own accord.
I did end up cutting a considerable amount off the new bolt, peening might not be a bad idea!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #14
Richard

Glad everything went well. The center pin just locates the axle once the spring is installed on the vehicle. Not really any sort of load put on it.